• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh on interview 92.9 right now? Blasting Hawks a bit

HawkItus

Have to say I'm even more happy now reading the kind of shit he said. If he SOMEHOW gets rid of those jump shots he can be that star player he presumes himself to be. Unfortunately for him after almost 10 years in the league he still can't figure that out. I think we will see much of the same in Detroit, but now regression becomes a thwart.

Players don't usually leave here to play better. Deke got the finals and JT got a championship, but they simply went to the right team.

If you look at SAR, Big Dog, Walker, Theo, JJ, Marvin and other players.... That didn't really go on to do much better. Playing with Deron actually did not make JJ a better player even.

I wish Josh the best!! I would have been just as happy if not more if he came . They say you don't appreciate it til it's gone....I think we're/we've constructed a decent team but Josh will forever be in our history books. Youngest player to reach mile stones in blocks and other categories. He made up for team mistakes on plenty occasions and though he's plenty of his own his benefits outweighed his defaults. Hopefully collectively the team we have now can make up for all the game changing stats we loss with Josh but honestly he's like the 2nd to 3rd best athlete offensively & defensively in the league behind Lebron and Wade. Defense wins championships and Detroit though young if they click right could be the next Pacers very soon. I'm really looking forward to these Hawks/Pistons games. I'm so tired of the hate I want some of our fans to see what practice,confidence and support can do for a jumper. It's the NBA anybody can learn how to shoot...

• Like 1

I remember every time Smoove left the game,the game would get out hand and the lead margin would shrink big time. Let's hope Al can keep making his mid range shots and stop bringing the ball up the court or else he's the next victim. Or will it be Teague?

I wish Josh the best!! I would have been just as happy if not more if he came . They say you don't appreciate it til it's gone....I think we're/we've constructed a decent team but Josh will forever be in our history books. Youngest player to reach mile stones in blocks and other categories. He made up for team mistakes on plenty occasions and though he's plenty of his own his benefits outweighed his defaults. Hopefully collectively the team we have now can make up for all the game changing stats we loss with Josh but honestly he's like the 2nd to 3rd best athlete offensively & defensively in the league behind Lebron and Wade. Defense wins championships and Detroit though young if they click right could be the next Pacers very soon. I'm really looking forward to these Hawks/Pistons games. I'm so tired of the hate I want some of our fans to see what practice,confidence and support can do for a jumper. It's the NBA anybody can learn how to shoot...

I love Smoove as I'm sure most of us "haters" do, he just drove me up the wall more than I could stand.

Edited by IllestPamfilis

I remember every time Smoove left the game,the game would get out hand and the lead margin would shrink big time. Let's hope Al can keep making his mid range shots and stop bringing the ball up the court or else he's the next victim. Or will it be Teague?

It's already Teague, and there's a common thread there. Both of their issues are purely mental.

I remember every time Smoove left the game,the game would get out hand and the lead margin would shrink big time.

I remember a ton of times where leads evaporated and deficits grew because Josh kept taking horrible jumpers and getting tons of turnovers because he thought he was Magic Johnson. So yeah...

• Like 2

He complained that DF didn't talk to him re an offer but josh never seemed to listen prior to this. Ie don't take jumpers. So why bother ?

There really is one problem with your and everyone else's take on this. Every big man on this team took an extra-ordinary number of jumpers. Ivan/Petro, even Zaza shot a larger than normal percentage. The offense called for it. As an example, when you look at Zaza's shot chart,

Zaza shot 40% of his attempts as jump shots with a 38.5% eFG%.

or. Ivan Johnson shot 51% of his shots on Jumpers at .384%.

or. Petro shot 54% of his attempt on jumpers at .331%

Josh at 56% at .389% is actually par for the course and in line with LD's offense.

The exception to the rule is Horford who shot 63% jumpers for 48.5% eFG%.

Horford was the only big man on the team with any real reason to shoot from outside the circle but he shot an even greater percent than Smith while shooting far below his other averages.

This is a symptom of LD's offense. Josh's attempts are in line with the attempts of others on the team with a similar or better percentage. When you consider Teague's offense was 67% jumpers at a 44% eFG clip, you can see that the Smith hate is actually misplaced.

The real issue is that Smith, Zaza, Al, Petro, Johnson and the rest were undersized and our offensive sets / mindset as a team was to settle for the jumper. This is a reflection of point play and the coach.

• Like 1

To take this point further I want to display a few shot charts of very successful big men who have had solid coaching in their careers.

Tyson Chandler. Although Tyson's eFG% on jump shots last year was a ridiculous .641% it still only accounted for 36% of his offense. Chandler's role has always been to put back what he rebounds and push it back out to the guards. That he played for Woody last year is a misnomer, Tyson is a product of solid coaching his whole life. If you look at older posts of mine you'll see I was pining for him 5+ years ago.

However, to show that the Josh hate is really misplaced I wanted to point to a few other known big men who people on this board have coveted.

Carlos Boozer - eFG% on jumpers 37.6%....63% of his offense.

DeMarcus Cousins - eFG% on jumpers 31.2%...53% of his offense

Paul Gasol - eFG% on jumpers 39.9%...60% of his offense.

Kevin Love - eFG% on jumpers 32.0%...57% of his offense.

Emeka Okafor - eFG% on jumpers 32%....58% of his offense.

I could go on but every player here is either worse than Smith in eFG% or similar with more shots as a percentage of his offense.

Again Smith, 38.9% for 56%. Better than Boozer, Cousins, Love, Okafor...same as Gasol effectively.

Now factor in Smith's passing, defense and general game knowledge and Atlanta fans should be sick about their prospects this upcoming season.

• Like 2

Or factor in that Josh took more 3s than any of those guys to boost his eFG%? So essentially he shot worse than all of them but he took more of a better shot so........better shooter? FYI, 82games doesn't differ hookshots or floaters from jumpers thus why you should actually rely on Hoopdata which will delineate shots by region rather than type because Tim Duncan is not attempting a jumper from 3 feet or a layup from 20feet yet he's listed at 40% on "jumpers" despite the fact he actually hit 45% of his shots outside of 10 feet.

Moral of the story, stop trying to use 82games as your onestop shop to eliminate 9 years of Josh Smith analysis.

• Like 2

To take this point further I want to display a few shot charts of very successful big men who have had solid coaching in their careers.

Tyson Chandler. Although Tyson's eFG% on jump shots last year was a ridiculous .641% it still only accounted for 36% of his offense. Chandler's role has always been to put back what he rebounds and push it back out to the guards. That he played for Woody last year is a misnomer, Tyson is a product of solid coaching his whole life. If you look at older posts of mine you'll see I was pining for him 5+ years ago.

However, to show that the Josh hate is really misplaced I wanted to point to a few other known big men who people on this board have coveted.

Carlos Boozer - eFG% on jumpers 37.6%....63% of his offense.

DeMarcus Cousins - eFG% on jumpers 31.2%...53% of his offense

Paul Gasol - eFG% on jumpers 39.9%...60% of his offense.

Kevin Love - eFG% on jumpers 32.0%...57% of his offense.

Emeka Okafor - eFG% on jumpers 32%....58% of his offense.

I could go on but every player here is either worse than Smith in eFG% or similar with more shots as a percentage of his offense.

Again Smith, 38.9% for 56%. Better than Boozer, Cousins, Love, Okafor...same as Gasol effectively.

Now factor in Smith's passing, defense and general game knowledge and Atlanta fans should be sick about their prospects this upcoming season.

Come on, man. Those stats are misleading. Gasol and Love had injury-riddled seasons. Love especially only played 18 games. Gasol was 44% (eFG) last year, 45% the year before. Love was 44% last year, 44% the year before. Nobody covets Boozer these days. Chicago fans hate him. That's not much of a measuring stick. And nobody has ever wanted Okafor for his offense. He doesn't take nearly as many shots and he's been well over 50% (regular FG%) for most of his career.

Cousins is a guy who is inefficient for sure, but he has the advantage of youth and legit center size. That's why some people wanted him over Josh. Playing on a good, veteran team next to Horford would almost certainly improve his shooting percentages.

Plus what MaceCase said.

Or factor in that Josh took more 3s than any of those guys to boost his eFG%? So essentially he shot worse than all of them but he took more of a better shot so........better shooter? FYI, 82games doesn't differ hookshots or floaters from jumpers thus why you should actually rely on Hoopdata which will delineate shots by region rather than type because Tim Duncan is not attempting a jumper from 3 feet or a layup from 20feet yet he's listed at 40% on "jumpers" despite the fact he actually hit 45% of his shots outside of 10 feet.

Moral of the story, stop trying to use 82games as your onestop shop to eliminate 9 years of Josh Smith analysis.

We know what kind of player Josh is because we have watched him for 9 years. We saw him play before Drew became the coach and he was still a frustrating player. Unless he plays like he did in 2009, he simply is not playing to his strengths. The dude just named himself "mid range shawty" last year. I guess Larry Drew made him do that also.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Thsii

Why do I care if its a hook, floater, etc that the guy is bricking? eFG is a measure of how valuable each shot a player takes is. ie, eFG on jumpers is any shot that is not considered close, dunk, tip. Take each and every 2 point/3 point shot. What is the benefit of that player taking a shot not close, dunk or tip. When measured based on last season's stats, Smith performed as well or better than all star players listed. All of the players listed shot below 40% eFG from outside a normal post player's position and all except Cousins shot more than Smith. ie all were less effective away from the basket than Smith. Spin this any way you can to make yourself feel better. Smith is not Lebron and neither are all the other players listed.

• Like 1

The point of that rant is this. Smith's only Diss about Atlanta's fans or the city was to speak on what was the "Noooooo" to shooting jumpers and Smith said, "well they don't have to worry about that anymore". The rest of the negatives in his interview were specifically targeting Ferry and the organization's treatment of its players, something all of us at one time or another has questioned. When Joe was shipped out last year, many of you (not me) were incensed. When Dwight, Paul, Pekovic or anyone else costing more than $10 million a year wasn't signed this year, many on this board scratched their head. When we drafted 2 more prospects that yet again will be playing overseas, some of you grunted. When the team nearly lost Teague, others on this board wondered why we took so long to match. These are not things winning organizations do. Operating below the cap and 14 million below the LT is no way to operate if you want to win now. Avoiding moving into the top 10 in the draft and then wasting your current picks is no way to win next year. Being cheap with Smith, Teague, not having the Bebe contract worked out ahead of time, not knowing the NBA readiness of your picks are all things that will have Horford walking out the door in 3 years and free agents avoiding Atlanta like the plague.

• Like 1

Still havent heard the interview yet but a poster on another website said during the interview Jbrick said he doesnt want to be labeled a position and says that he can play the 2/3/4 and occasionally the 1. Posted Image

Gives me more joy to see him gone.

If he really said that then he is absolutely delusional

Edited by Bonkers

• Premium Member

Posted Image