• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Julio out now? WTF?

macdaddy

• Moderators

Too dumb to post the tweet but here it is:

D. Orlando Ledbetter @AJCFalcons#Falcons WR Julio Jones to be out for season with a foot injury, according to team. Coach Smith will address at 2:30 pm5 minutes ago

Edited by macdaddy

I hardly watch college football so I have no idea how impactful Clowney is play in play out. Besides the video game sack last season, how has he played overall. Last season and this season?

Clowney I believe had like 14 sacks last year but his production has fallen off this year due mostly to offensive coordinators game planning around him. He's a freak of nature physically with a high motor so the guy is going to be productive in the pros. I doubt we get him, I was just joking, but if we do I'll be happy as hell.

That's just how it goes sometimes. If there was any doubt we were done, Julio cemented it. No team can lose their best player, let alone one who is the best by far like Julio is for us. Was hoping at least he could get his individual shine on and make a second straight Pro Bowl. I know I'm not supposed to like the Saints, but Drew is an All-Time fav of mine so I'm rolling with him all the way to meet up with Pey Pey one more gin. As far as my Falcons, it's not even looking good for next season with all the holes we have now and will have next year with Tony gone. 'Troff will definately have his work cut out for him.

Clowney I believe had like 14 sacks last year but his production has fallen off this year due mostly to offensive coordinators game planning around him. He's a freak of nature physically with a high motor so the guy is going to be productive in the pros. I doubt we get him, I was just joking, but if we do I'll be happy as hell.

Thanks for info.

I hardly watch college football so I have no idea how impactful Clowney is play in play out. Besides the video game sack last season, how has he played overall. Last season and this season?

Hard to say how he'll translate to a real NFL defense but there are probably a dozen better defenders in college football right now than Clowney and he doesn't have a team first mentality either. I'd honestly stay away from him and hope some team wants to move up for him or one of the QBs. The Falcons need depth in the worst way and moving back to get extra picks would be a good way to go.

I will say this, having an elite type of physical prospect can be a game changer though. We drafted Dion Jordan with the 3rd overall pick this year and he's arguably the most physically freakish 4-3 DE to come out of the draft, possibly ever, with his unbelievable wingspan and his incredible 1st step that's nearly a half second faster than almost every other prospect in this past draft. He was the one who got around the edge and tipped the ball in Matt Ryan's hand on the game sealing INT against Miami and then this past week he did the same thing to Joe Flacco and Miami got a pick 6 off of it to tie the game. Unfortunately we are only using him for 10-15 plays per game right now as he's still recovering from a shoulder injury but once he becomes a regular he's going to put up Aldon Smith type of numbers. Clowney is a physical freak of nature in his own right, but it's not that speed type with the freakish wingspan like Jordan. I'm not sure who he reminds me of, maybe Reggie White, but OC's have schemed against him really well this year and shut him down for the most part. Still though, that leaves the backside of the line open or fewer receiving options because of having a guy like that.

• Moderators

I expect Clowney's stock to fall this year. It isn't like teams schemed LT out of 4 consecutive games or anything and his coach is openly questioning his commitment on top of that muted performance. I do think the Falcons need multiple upgrades on the defensive line in the worst way, though.

I will say this, having an elite type of physical prospect can be a game changer though. We drafted Dion Jordan with the 3rd overall pick this year and he's arguably the most physically freakish 4-3 DE to come out of the draft, possibly ever...

Dol, did you see Wilkerson last night and what do you know of him? I couldn't focus on the game, but Gruden was talking about him like you are Jordan. I did see a few plays where he dominated our entire line, and they highlighted him making plays at LE, RE, DT, and the 9 technique. Again, our O Line isn't exactly a test but Gruden was acting like he wanted to adopt him. I'd never heard of him in my life. The national media wanted me to believe Manti Te'o was he best defender in the nation last year, if I were stupid of course.

Dol, did you see Wilkerson last night and what do you know of him? I couldn't focus on the game, but Gruden was talking about him like you are Jordan. I did see a few plays where he dominated our entire line, and they highlighted him making plays at LE, RE, DT, and the 9 technique. Again, our O Line isn't exactly a test but Gruden was acting like he wanted to adopt him. I'd never heard of him in my life. The national media wanted me to believe Manti Te'o was he best defender in the nation last year, if I were stupid of course.

Wilkerson is a different type of player as he mostly plays inside but he's an absolute beast in there. The Jets have a very good front 7 on defense and he's maybe the best player on that D. At this point he's a better player than Jordan is but again they are different types of players and Jordan has had a lot less playing time. But you can believe Gruden when he says that Wilkerson is a stud and he's much, much better than Te'o is. In fact I'll say that within the next couple of years Wilkerson could be the best interior DL or 3-4 DE in football and I'd put his skills on par with Warren Sapp.

Check out this video from Sports Science on Dion Jordan pre-draft. His spin move is 25% faster than Dwight Freeney! He can accelerate to 16 mph in 3 steps and his 10 yard speed was faster than Tavon Austin.

Some Dion Jordan college highlights. Look how incredibly fast he is.

For reference, here's a Sports Science profile on that monster Jadeveon Clowney hit, which clocked him at slightly slower 15 mph when he hit the Michigan RB.