• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford: "It's not the ideal scenario for me" (playing Center)

GameTime

My biggest thing is I'm going to try and take care of my body as best I can ... yeah, I was under the impression some changes were going to happen. They didn't happen. And I have to deal with it and adjust to this new style of play."

"Yeah, you're right about that," said Horford, who watched free agency come and go without Hawks general manager Danny Ferry bringing in that starting center to help take the load off down low. "That's something that I did question when it didn't happen. It takes a toll on your body physically that outweigh you like that. But the way that they have portrayed it to me is we're trying to play faster, get up and down the floor and get the pick and roll movement going. It's not the ideal scenario for me, but I have to work with what I have and make the most of it."

http://www.nba.com/preview/2013/ATL/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt13a

Edited by GameTime

I am disappointed that we can't get Horford to the position he wants. It would seem that if we keep screwing with him, he will just leave next FA he gets the chance. I know I would. They really do need a guy who plays C and actually wants to.

• Like 2

We are lucky horford has no leverage to demand a trade or anything. I can easily see him leaving if he was given the opportunity.

On another forum someone posted this quote

The rookie Horford stepped up and helped the Hawks make the playoffs...under the assumption that things would change. In fact, after that first season, he was told that he wouldn't have to labor in the low-post against guys two and three inches and 30 and 40 pounds bigger than him any more

It shows that from day one horford has always gotten the short end of the stick. It speaks volume about his character how long he has been a good sport about it and how terrible the management is to continue to neglect this problem.

I know he was very disappointed about this summer and knew he had his heart set on playing PF. I remember when he was asked who the hawks should select in the draft and no surprise, he selected two centers. We basically had an empty roster going into the offseason yet nothing has changed and we still have the same problems as we did last year.

Wont surprise me one bit if we wait until horford's contract year to frantically search for a center to try to please him. If horford was smart he would leave.

Edited by yungsta
  • Like 2

Gortat or Aisk for Milsap.

That needs to happen. Milsap was trade bait the minute he signed by ASB.

I agree that the reason we got Millsap was likely as trade bait - most likely to Houston. I'm not sure it's the best deal for the Hawks but would be great to show Horford we're serious about moving him to the PF spot.

BTW, you know it's Asik and not Aisk, right? I'm not sure if this is some kind of trick or whatever, but everytime you mention Asik, you spell it "Aisk." Makes me think of the shoe brand Aasics rather than the rather large Turkish guy potentially playing center for the Hawks around the trade deadline.

• Like 1

I agree that the reason we got Millsap was likely as trade bait - most likely to Houston. I'm not sure it's the best deal for the Hawks but would be great to show Horford we're serious about moving him to the PF spot.

Why isn't Sap insurance for the likeliest of trade bait instead, Al?

If Horf has said this publicly you wonder what he's said behind closed doors. I'm sure he had hopes of being a Tim Duncan for Budz. Wonder if he's given them any demands? He can only take so much

I'm sure Bud had the same hopes. Tim played a lot of C in San Antonio.

• Premium Member

I hate to say this because I agree with Horford 100% but everyone assuming Paul is the trade bait....what if he's here to play PF and Horford is the trade bait to get first rounders or a bigger center? Horford and his contract have to be one of the best value packages in the NBA and it could be what Ferry is going to try and use to rebuild the franchise.

• Premium Member

I'm sure Bud had the same hopes. Tim played a lot of C in San Antonio.

Duncan is and always has been outside of a couple years of playing next to David Robinson a center. He's 7 foot and big. Horford is nowhere near that size.

• Like 1

Why isn't Sap insurance for the likeliest of trade bait instead, Al?

I think in DF's eyes, everyone's for sale. But I think Millsap is the most likely. A lot of it is circumstantial, but the similarities between the contract he got and Asik's contract (in cap hit and time - maybe Houston has to throw in a rookie as well) make it seem like the intent of bringing in Millsap was with a wink-wink we'll trade you here so we can get this guy we want (Asik).

Also, I don't know why Millsap would've only signed a 2-yr deal. And for such a low amount. Most everyone I've read agrees that his deal was the steal of the summer. And he could've commanded a longer contract for sure. More fuel for the conspiracy theory fire.

I also think that although Millsap's deal is good, I think Horford's is even better because of his size, production, and leadership.

But again, I think anyone's for sale if the deal is right. I just get the impression that Millsap's deal was structured specifically to lure Houston to give up Asik to us so that Howard and Millsap can be the frontcourt for the next 2 yrs there.

They have two C's - we have two PFs. Why not swap one if the contracts match well enough?

My issue is that I don't know if all of that finagling is really worth it with Asik. As I mentioned in another post, his contract is great for this year (around $4M I think), but TERRIBLE next year. The cap hit is the same both years, but next year his actual salary is $14 or $15M. (Right?) So you get a serviceable big and get to move Al to the PF spot for a season and a half, but ASG has to fork out a good bit extra on an solid-but-not-great center. We're not playing to win right now. And with Asik, Horf, DC, Korver, and Teague next year, I don't know that we'll be blowing anyone's hair back then either. Better? Yes. Championship? No. There would have to be other substantial moves made to make that happen.

Now if Asik somehow agreed to an extension as part of the trade deal, then sure. But I don't know if that's even possible.

So maybe it is Horf? I just don't know. It all confuses me.

My question is who exactly is this big Center that Horford is having to face so often? Look I get it, he wants to be a PF. But, geez stop crying about it. Is Noah so much larger than Horford? Seriously, for all my complaints about Josh he played wherever he was told to play without crying about it. Horf should just shut up and play. And before someone says he was asked a question "No comment" is a valid answer.

• Like 2

He's telling the truth when asked about the situation. And if the Hawks have been promising him they would get a center, then it speaks more to the failures of past and present management to not only support your best player, but to also address one of the biggest flaws of this team. So, I don't have a problem at all with what Horf's saying because he's promoting something that will help him and the team. Shame on the Hawks for their failure to address it.

I agree. I don't have an issue with Horford saying this. He's been saying this for years and the situation hasn't changed (for him) so why would he change his mind.

• Moderators

Horford is my favorite player but i agree I don't know why this is such an ongoing issue. There are plenty of other 'undersized' guys playing center in this league. In fact the whole concept seems out of date. I bet there are more starting centers Horford's size than 7 foot,280.

The problem isn't the willingness of the Hawks to do something about it. The problem is the lack of talented 'true' centers. It makes no sense to throw someone out there just because they are the right size when the team is better playing undersized. And we sure don't want to spend our wing money on a 7 foot stiff.

• Like 1