• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Mavericks

lethalweapon3

33 team rebounds aint gonna ever get it done. Shredder and Cartier looked good, the only guys with good +/- in signifigant minutes. Vince's numbers against us have to be higher than any other team in his career I'm sure. There's no shame losing to he and Dirk, but I can't really stomach seeing Monta get off agaisnt us when he won't have another 11-17 night in 2 months. Al will get it together. Weirder things are happening on this year's opening night than Al stinking it up. Lets Go.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

anyone else thinking korver might have a down year?

We dont have alot of creators on the team and I noticed tonight he is having to work harder to get his shots off. He was forced to put the ball on the ground in multiple situations and shoot off the dribble. I am not sure if it was just the mavs point of emphasis to focus on korver more defensively or if its a sign for things to come.

• Moderators

27 free throws sunk in tonight's game, which should have been more had they not gone cold late, on 35 shots.

Most free throws made all last season? 27, in a double OT win versus the Celtics (January 25), on 36 shots.

The Hawks only matched or surpassed 25 FTMs and 35 FTAs on one other occasion in 2012-13, going 26-for-36 in a home loss to the Warriors (December 15).

~lw3

• Like 1

anyone else thinking korver might have a down year?

We dont have alot of creators on the team and I noticed tonight he is having to work harder to get his shots off. He was forced to put the ball on the ground in multiple situations and shoot off the dribble. I am not sure if it was just the mavs point of emphasis to focus on korver more defensively or if its a sign for things to come.

yep. Korver's best year are his contract years

Edited by Cwell

27 free throws sunk in tonight's game, which should have been more had they not gone cold late, on 35 shots.

Most free throws made all last season? 27, in a double OT win versus the Celtics (January 25), on 36 shots.

The Hawks only matched or surpassed 25 FTMs and 35 FTAs on one other occasion in 2012-13, going 26-for-36 in a home loss to the Warriors (December 15).

~lw3

Hard to remember the makes with all of the misses in the 2nd half with the game in the balance. But that # of attempts is encouraging.

• Like 1

anyone else thinking korver might have a down year? We dont have alot of creators on the team and I noticed tonight he is having to work harder to get his shots off. He was forced to put the ball on the ground in multiple situations and shoot off the dribble. I am not sure if it was just the mavs point of emphasis to focus on korver more defensively or if its a sign for things to come.

I definately saw it. I been saying it would be unrealistic to expect last year's Korver. Losing even half a step for him is a huge difference. There were maybe 3 or 4 opportunities he would've had to fire last year, but the man closed a second quicker, and KK stuck holding the ball with no airspace 24 feet away from the hole ain't exactly productive for our offense. I sure hope it ain't a sign of things to come, but he damn sure aint getting any younger. He made me a fan last year for sure, yet even I had to do a "huh?" when his contract leaked.

• Moderators

33 team rebounds aint gonna ever get it done. Shredder and Cartier looked good, the only guys with good +/- in signifigant minutes. Vince's numbers against us have to be higher than any other team in his career I'm sure. There's no shame losing to he and Dirk, but I can't really stomach seeing Monta get off agaisnt us when he won't have another 11-17 night in 2 months. Al will get it together. Weirder things are happening on this year's opening night than Al stinking it up. Lets Go.

The Hawks were 2-9 last season when getting 35 or fewer rebounds. As for those the two wins, I think they had to come from behind late in both games (January wins versus Millsap's Jazz and Timberwolves w/o K-Love).

~lw3

~lw3

its is definitely nice to have guys who are willing to go into the paint consistently unlike previous years and have bigs who actually will roll to the rim off a pick.

• Premium Member

Barring injury, the Hawks will be fine. This team just needs to gel and settle into their roles and they should win games like this in the future. Bench is weak, but manageable. I have to say...I love Millsap and Caroll. Despite all the groaning I do about our current direction, I love these Hawks.

LOVE them. It's a different team out there without the headache of watching a guy squander who he's supposed to be...and his replacement is just exactly the right kind of player we needed. SUCH a much better fit it's not even funny. Very refreshing to know that we're not going to be losing momentum (and eventually entire games) due to boneheaded-ness.

These guys may not have the firepower, but damn do they look like a team with a purpose. Really happy about the lack of bullshittery this year. They just look like a team full of guys without individual agendas...trying to win. For what it is, I do love it.

Really enjoyed the game tonight.

• Like 4

Al has to step it up. He's a good player but this is now his team and he didn't show it tonight. The defense will be bad and I'm sure we will get out rebounded quite a bit due to our lack of size but overall not as bad as I expected. Really surprised by cartier Martin as he played a great game and I watching Dennis will be fun to see how he progresses. I think Ferry got us a steal and a PG us Hawks fans have been crying about not having for years. We won't be contenders but we have some nice young players and I like where the direction of the team is headed.

• Like 1

I didn't think they looked all that bad last night, but this could still be a long season. I like cartier martin. We could use ivan johnson or some sort of banger. without someone who commands a double team, korver isn't as good to say the least. so they are missing that piece. nothing new here.

Posted Image

Our opponent sure looked like the team that won it all just a few years ago.

Some veteran players that "went off" against our Hawks.

With our new coach and a new system, both offense and defense, sometimes

the Hawks were lost at sea. Right now, they think and react. When they have

played a few games, they will simply react. They will not have to spend that

extra second to think.

Yet, with all that was going wrong, Hawks were "right there" until very late. Then

the Mavs dropped all those three's on us to pull away. Not every NBA team will

be capable of doing this.

Was our offense "that" good, or, was the Dallas defense that bad? Maybe a little

of both. All in all, good, exciting game and we expect a lot more to come.

GO HAWKS !!

Posted Image

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think most people have talked about the problems enough to keep me from dwelling on them.

What I saw last night:

Teague looked really good. My two biggest criticisms of him are his lack of aggressiveness and his poor defensive play. He corrected one of those last night and it showed. 22/9 and 4 steals I believe? Very good. He really kept us in it in the first half esp. when no one else could get a shot to go in.

Not having Chuck really showed. We didn't waste perhaps a third of our total possessions from some schmuck thinking he was an A plus player when he's just a B plus player (to quote Triple HHH) with the ball.

I love me some DMC. I had some serious flashbacks to Ty Corbin as a Hawk making those nifty steals, grabbing boards out of guys hands and just being a pain to the other team. He played with heart and effort. Why the hell did the Jazz let him walk to us on that cheap of a deal is crazy.

Dennis looked like a rookie out there. Which is fine but man can these guys help a kid out? He penetrated the defense at least six or eight times last night all the way to the hoop, had the defense collapse, threw it out to a WIDE OPEN shooter...who missed the easy shot. Over and over and over. Kid could have had at least five more assists to his total if they make those easy shots. I liked his making the three after air balling a shot the previous attempt. He looks like the stud in making I know he is.

For the bigs...meh. This is what I was scared of seeing. Millsap is used to having a beast of a real center next to him in terms of size and Horford really isn't that. We won't play against two seven footers at C and PF every night but it will be brutal when we do. Our entire lack of size at every position was very noticeable. I loved the defense from Horford tonight (4 blocks/5 steals) but he has to rebound better. Same for Millsap.

All in all when you consider Dallas was hitting threes like it was 2k14 you have to give our guys credit for staying in the game until the very end.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Well said GM.

I could have used some Jared Cunningham attacking Monta. I didn't feel we went after Monta and Dirk enough on the offensive end. We made it too easy for them to hide.

Look at the +/- for the Hawks it is really weird. Lineups seemed strange to me but again its game one. I'm not sure how milsap and teague can both play 35 minutes and have a difference of 17 +/-. Well i know how but its seems unlikely.

Hopefully the system gets better. We should have posted up Brand more, I didn't see anyone who could guard milsap but didn't really see a lot of plays getting him the ball. But we'll see. Horford, Korver will have better games. Missed Zaza for sure. Need some O Rebounds.

• Moderators

Where is everyone today? There are so few posts this morning you would think the Hawks had won. C'mon, sky is falling, tank is on, true center, miss smoove, all our guys suck, bud doesn't know what he's doing. I'm really disappointed in this board.

• Like 4

I'd suggest we reconsider our stance on Nogs. He can block shots and get some rebounds. Send Mr. Antić packing. Maybe we can work out a trade with Nogs' overseas team and give them Antić as compensation.

I asked last night during the in game chat if we could use Nog to rebound,block some shots and run the floor for some Alley oops from Teague and Schröder? He couldn't be any worse than Antique? Edited by JayBirdHawk