• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Omer Asik Mega Thread

PSSSHHHRRR87

There's a lot of conversation about bringing Asik to the Hawks but, personally, I don't know much about the guy. I wanted to start this thread to better understand who he is as a player beyond what is generally known, which is:

1) He's tall

2) He can rebound and protect the rim.

3) He's not a great offensive player.

4) He doesn't hold the record for most consecutive games with a blocked shot.

What I don't really know:

1) Can he pass?

2) Can he catch (does he have good hands)?

3) How well does he set picks?

4) Combining the first three, how does he fit into a pick-and-roll offense?

5) Can he run the floor?

6) What is his range?

7) Can he box out?

8) What is limited about his offense that makes him average in this regard?

Edited by ATLSmith

• Moderators

I think these are great points. I think we have a tendency to say 'we need a real center, oh there's one,let's get him' without really considering whether its a good deal or a good fit. Like JayBird said in the other post. Is Horford/Asik a better more effective frontcourt than Milsap/Horford?

• Like 1

He's basically the opposite of Brook Lopez!In my opinion Asik is a top 5 defensive center and rebounder. An though he only played one year and a half showing this it's pretty evident that he can and will continue to hold his own.There are some posters that are living in the old days! They want that David Robinson, Shaq, Karl Malone type Big man but what they fail to realize is that the center position hasn't been that good since the early 2000s. There are no 25 points a game centers in the league today besides brook Lopez but he lacks everything else asik is good at like protecting the rim and rebounds.Times in the NBA has changed....centers have changed. In today's league a center like Asik is a championship move! No doubt about it!

• Like 2

I think these are great points. I think we have a tendency to say 'we need a real center, oh there's one,let's get him' without really considering whether its a good deal or a good fit. Like JayBird said in the other post. Is Horford/Asik a better more effective frontcourt than Milsap/Horford?

That's hard to answer it depends on personal thoughts. Some people like offense better than defense, some like defense over offense. Milsap and horford are the better offensive tandem no doubt about it BUT asik and horford are the better rebounding and defensive tandem.

• Premium Member

There's a lot of conversation about bringing Asik to the Hawks but, personally, I don't know much about the guy. I wanted to start this thread to better understand who he is as a player beyond what is generally known, which is:

1) He's tall

2) He can rebound and protect the rim.

3) He's not a great offensive player.

4) He doesn't hold the record for most consecutive games with a blocked shot.

What I don't really know:

1) Can he pass?

2) Can he catch (does he have good hands)?

3) How well does he set picks?

4) Combining the first three, how does he fit into a pick-and-roll offense?

5) Can he run the floor?

6) What is his range?

7) Can he box out?

8) What is limited about his offense that makes him average in this regard?

1. His passing has improved.

2. Does not have good hands.

3. Sets good picks

4. Eh, he needs better hands. Also in a pnr your big guy has to be able to hit a 14-20 foot jump shot and he can't do that

5. He's not fast but he hustles

6. His range is the rim. he has no game at all outside of tip in, put backs, etc.

7. yes, he can box out

8. He has zero range or post moves. His offense is limited to put backs or wide open dunks.

• Like 1

That's hard to answer it depends on personal thoughts. Some people like offense better than defense, some like defense over offense. Milsap and horford are the better offensive tandem no doubt about it BUT asik and horford are the better rebounding and defensive tandem.

Very true! Additionally how would Asik affect the driving lanes for Teague if Teague and Al will be carrying more of the offensive burden?