• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do u want the Hawks in the playoffs?

Bonkers

Do u want the Hawks in the playoffs?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A Hawks win puts a nice cap on my nights (or Sunday or Holiday days). I can't condone losing. Have you guys ever lost at something? It's not cool. I like this team a lot and I much rather see them waving their towels on the sideline as opposed to having them on their heads.Bud could gameplan and strategize with anybody in the East in a series. Upsets happen damn near every year. Us over Orlando a few years back or Chicago over the Nets last year. With everyone except Al we definately could get us one. If you've been following the draft over the past 30 years, there are no guarantees. Tanking is not a farfetched notion, but it's just not my style. We can speculate on who did it and when, we'll never know because only a fool would actually admit it. But if you did decide to tank, and you look at your five-year progress and your team is still sh@t, you should kill yourself. I think a lot of smart people in the league, including some FAs, notice the swift progress we're making, even with the injuries and losses piling.Running your team the right way and putting out maximum effort makes everything else fall into place I like to think. I love Ferry but also can empathize with those who have some issues. The jury is out until this summer. But hell yeah I want to see the Hawks in the playoffs. Our talent definately isn't, but our (Elton) Brand of basketball is outstanding. Real BBall fans who aren familiar with us would be treated. I watched our game, then flipped over to Sacramento-Boston. It looked like a different sport.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

So 10 years ago, going for Josh Childress was the move for beeing a contender? And a 6th pick isn't really bad, and when i look at the top 10 pick there all those team was bad to medicore the following years. But beeing a Clippers or Bobcats fan, was for sure more entertaining, or not?

And also the Magic wasn't that much stronger then the Hawks, and they clearly got the best player there. I am not convinced that the 76ers get a powerhouse the next years, even when they tanked for two seasons.

10 years ago, we let Bobby Sura and a bunch of free agent expendables (to include the coach) to play us right out of draft position. You guys don't get it, but you will. Your hope is in a free agent home run or in the extremely rare star talent found outside the lottery. Those two things are not impossible, but they are very unlikely.

The result of that route is simply competitive wins.

What your logic doesn't account for is that one or more of these teams IS going to fish out a game changer from the lottery or pull a Boston/LAC and use a lottery pick or two (or former pick) to change things. When that happens, we will still be waving our towels and cheering for our 1st round exits...while these teams leapfrog us.

As I was saying in another threat. I understand all too well why you want to see the team win, no matter how little it matters in the long run. However, you guys are clueless as to what it takes to rebuild a team. You keep focusing on the losses, ping pong balls, and all that...and you fail to see how the teams around us are constantly tearing down and building up - and conversely rise and fall around us while we float in the middle.

I had this same argument with you 10 years ago...only it was a different person saying the exact same thing. We benefited nothing from those wins then and we benefit nothing now.

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 2

It's interesting to see those of u who play checkers in this thread vs the one's (like me) who play chess

I know how to sacrifice something and the importance of sacrificing something to reach the ultimate goal. Apparently many of u don't smh

Posted Image

Edited by Bonkers
  • Like 1

It's interesting to see those of u who play checkers in this thread vs the one's (like me) who play chess

I know how to sacrifice something and the importance of sacrificing something to reach the ultimate goal. Apparently many of u don't smh

Posted Image

You know he got shot at the end? Horrible chess player lol

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

What?

Being worse is the tankers' philosofy and now you say standings are all that count?

I smell some contradiction right there. Posted Image

Try reading again. No contradiction. You are definitely one of the people that might benefit from understanding the post.

try this; The NBA is rigged. Not the ping pong balls, but the cap. The teams with money win, the others occupy the also rans at best. To assemble enough talent to actually have a chance to compete for a championship will require other methods than trying to out-bid the money teams for FAs or trades. That leaves the draft; which is basically our only chance to bring in the talent needed to win.

Your Pacers will find out the hard reality of the cap very soon and will likely fall back to their spot in the also rans.

This season is a perfect example. We now have the coaching and "culture", but not the talent. Even with Horf we would have had a very high probability of falling far short. We don't have enough talent.

Re-signing Teague, Korver and bringing in Sap was mediocre ball. You know what mediocre stands for in the NBA? Not good enough. Means lose. To plan to lose is for losers.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

It looks like you weren't even a Hawks fan when the last rebuilding took place.

If you want another round of Childress, Shelden, Acie, Marvin... be my guest. I simply don't.

I'm sure you know how to sacrifice something to reach a goal. Don't you think Billy Knight thought he could do it too?

• Premium Member

Try reading again. No contradiction. You are definitely one of the people that might benefit from understanding the post.

try this; The NBA is rigged. Not the ping pong balls, but the cap. The teams with money win, the others occupy the also rans at best. To assemble enough talent to actually have a chance to compete for a championship will require other methods than trying to out-bid the money teams for FAs or trades. That leaves the draft; which is basically our only chance to bring in the talent needed to win.

Your Pacers will find out the hard reality of the cap very soon and will likely fall back to their spot in the also rans.

This season is a perfect example. We now have the coaching and "culture", but not the talent. Even with Horf we would have had a very high probability of falling far short. We don't have enough talent.

Re-signing Teague, Korver and bringing in Sap was mediocre ball. You know what mediocre stands for in the NBA? Not good enough. Means lose. To plan to lose is for losers.

So you're advocating drafting the next LeBron will lead us to the promised land?

I would think the vast majority of Cavs fans would disagree.

We draft a stud, keep him under contract for 8 years... and then he's gone to win a championship for another team. What's the point? I'd rather give my best and try to lure disgruntled free agents to sign with us.

Rondo won't win another ring anytime soon with the Celtics.

There might be other star (or very good) players who could think playing with Horford and Millsap is a great opportunity to be truly successful.

• Like 1

Ten years ago, people said the exact same thing. Then, just as now, there is no point to winning these games. Then, just as now, it's not about rooting for the team to lose. It's about getting the best draft position. Ten years from now, people will be cursing the decision to play for the 7/8 seed and a first round beating.

Didn't you guys learn anything from watching Bobby Sura and the gang ace us out of drafting Dwight Howard by winning a bunch of unnecessary games? Finishing 38-45 and making the playoffs, only to get curbstomped by the Lebrons or Pacers in 4-5 games isn't going to get free agents motivated to sign contracts here; not free agents other teams would want.I still want them to compete but end up in position to draft a guy that matters. Enough with counting on the likes of John Jenkins to win the day. I know that all of us are frightened to death of that prospect because of what a certain idiot GM did the last time they were in this position but as they say, scared $$$ don't make none.Better talent is needed here; and soon... Edited by Dejay

So you're advocating drafting the next LeBron will lead us to the promised land?

I would think the vast majority of Cavs fans would disagree.

We draft a stud, keep him under contract for 8 years... and then he's gone to win a championship for another team. What's the point? I'd rather give my best and try to lure disgruntled free agents to sign with us.

Rondo won't win another ring anytime soon with the Celtics.

There might be other star (or very good) players who could think playing with Horford and Millsap is a great opportunity to be truly successful.

There's no next LeBron and we're not CLEV. But no I don't think Horf, Sap and the rest of our very avg players are going to bring in a FA next season that will win a championship and Yes I think we need to use the draft to build the team from the bottom up. We are very far from a championship right now.

• Premium Member

There's no next LeBron and we're not CLEV. But no I don't think Horf, Sap and the rest of our very avg players are going to bring in a FA next season that will win a championship and Yes I think we need to use the draft to build the team from the bottom up. We are very far from a championship right now.

Agree to disagree,

• Like 1

We are also very far from a top 5 pick that would be a game changer for this franchise. Losing the rest of our games for a chance at a top 5 pick is not realistic.

Atlanta is not New York, LA or Boston. We're probably not getting any superstar free agent. So if anybody wants to categorize the desire to be in the best position to possibly get a superstar prospect via the draft as not being your idea of what a true fan is, then go right ahead. It's possible with the way things works to actually be both rooting for your team to lose while having your teams best interest at heart. It's not rocket science.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Didn't you guys learn anything from watching Bobby Sura and the gang ace us out of drafting Dwight Howard by winning a bunch of unnecessary games? Finishing 38-45 and making the playoffs, only to get curbstomped by the Lebrons or Pacers in 4-5 games isn't going to get free agents motivated to sign contracts here; not free agents other teams would want.

I still want them to compete but end up in position to draft a guy that matters. Enough with counting on the likes of John Jenkins to win the day. I know that all of us are frightened to death of that prospect because of what a certain idiot GM did the last time they were in this position but as they say, scared $$$ don't make none.

Better talent is needed here; and soon...

I question how much difference the spot in the draft will make. We are out of the running for the franchise guys and most of the time there isn't much difference between #12 (tanking) and #15 (not tanking).

The difference from 10 years ago is that we had a shot at Dwight Howard if we tanked. Now we are looking at:

12Timberwolves Willie Cauley-Stein C Kentucky, Sophomore

13Magic Doug McDermott PF Creighton, Senior

14Grizzlies James Young SG/SF Kentucky, Freshman

15Bulls Jerami Grant SF Syracuse, Sophomore

16Hawks Clint Capela PF/C Chalon, International

17Suns Rodney Hood SF Duke, Sophomore

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2uBYk1PAK

http://www.draftexpress.com

If you wanted a shot at Wiggins, etc. the time to tank was the beginning of the season. If we had a shot at Howard or one of the top guys this year I would be all "tank, tank, tank" but the idea was to build a winning culture here and we can do that just as effectively now that we are dealing with injuries as we could when we were going to be a few wins better.

I just don't see the big upside this year like 10 years ago and I see more guys who are playing now who are part of the future. Teague and Scott balling out is very different from Sura killing it because I expect those guys to be around for a while.

• Like 3

Simple fact, before Ferry's signings we had Horf and next to nothing. We were set up for the tank. Ferry signed a group of guys that were not going to make the difference in becoming a winner. Bye bye tanking opportunity. Then the cherry on the cake,; he only signed Sap to 2 years. So unless we win next year, all last summers moves were pure crap. Don't win, don't get a top pick and our second best player expires at the end of the season leaving us with an over-paid Teague, Horf and Korver.

I'm all for Ferry bringing in the FA that will propel us to the title next season with Sap, Horf and the rest. Just don't see it happening. Then Horf comes to the end of his contract and what do we have?

Ferry might prove me wrong. I certainly hope so. Until then I'm going to go with what I see and argue with some Homers. Got to do something while we're not winning.

• Premium Member

When Howard and CP didn't come, it was tank time. Ferry played to the ASG and their money. Not to building the best team possible.

So basically you are saying it was CP and Howard or bust. Then Ferry should have just sat on ASG money and not sign anyone? Yes that would go a long way to building a winning culture here wouldnt it? I disagree with most of what the pro tankers are saying here because the risk is greater. Tanking to get a top 3 pick to be the main guy on a purposefully talent depleted roster just increases the likelihood that this player will move on and win his first ship with another team. Sort of like the Timberwolves Garnett..Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk