Which SF We Need

jmac54

I think we'll have to decide between a SG and SF in FA. Which do we need more given our bench and startedrs I think a center will take precedence and then one or the other of SG/SF. UNLESS...........we make a trade. And I don't see a whole lot of value in Williams and a second! I was always impressed that the Spurs would find someone (a relative nobody) and plug them into their system and they would shine. Hope DF and Budz do the same.

I disagree - we selected 2 bigs last draft, I would think they will at least get a shot at a spot. Ferry said we NEED more athletism on the wing. Wether it's a SG or SF - don't care. Kyle played SF last year when Devin Harris was the SG (I remember LD having KK guard PG last post season shok.gif ). I think KK and DMC can both play SG/SF depending on what type of player we get at either spot.

I disagree - we selected 2 bigs last draft, I would think they will at least get a shot at a spot. Ferry said we NEED more athletism on the wing. Wether it's a SG or SF - don't care. Kyle played SF last year when Devin Harris was the SG (I remember LD having KK guard PG last post season shok.gif ). I think KK and DMC can both play SG/SF depending on what type of player we get at either spot.

I agree. Unless Ferry thinks we are getting a franchise type big with pick 15 or in free agency, no way is the center position going to be our focus.

Upgrade the SG spot with Lance Stephenson Arron Afflalo .. start Carroll ... bring Korver off the bench.

Besides spelling Arron Afflalo wrong, you hit the nail on the head.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

Arron Afflalo is not a free agent..... It would be like me saying upgrade the SG spot with Klay Thompson.

You've heard of trades, right? O_o

There is just not a big crop this year if you want to be small forward specific. If you include SG's it gets a little better. With the exception of Hayward, I think these can be had at decent prices and will contribute:

Hayward

Stephenson

Meeks

Turner

Ariza

Thabo

Young

Kirelinko

Cleveland gave up a lot for Deng so they will make him a substantial offer. Lets just forget about Rudy giving up 20 million this year.

Edited by Buzzard

Andrei Kirilenko SHOULD be available and could probably be signed for 7-8 per.

HELL NO - 7-8 mil? He's making 3.5 mil this season with a player option for next season - he's 33 years and played 45 games this season.

HELL NO - 7-8 mil? He's making 3.5 mil this season with a player option for next season - he's 33 years and played 45 games this season.

That is why he is last on my list. To me he is like Brand but a SF. I forgot Granger on my list. I would rank him above AK but he should not be starting for us. Maybe mentoring who ever it is we might draft at SF/SG

What do y'all think of a guy like Thaddeus Young via trade?

Just fodder for discussion. I haven't looked into it at all, just remember he was wanting out of Philly.

Interesting but he has a 9 mil price tag which means a trade - who are we trading? Lou and who plus picks?

@hazer We are discussing who is DEFIANTLY available... not random trade possibilities of who we wish for.

Not exactly. Nowhere in the title thread does it state 'free agents only'. It simply states 'which SF we need'. And read page 4, WE are discussing trades for SFs up and down the page. But SFs who've actually been linked to trades, not just random possibilities.

DEFIANTLY yours,

Hazer :P

I really wish I had an answer for this one. For a minute, I was in the Rudy Gay camp until finding out that he had a $19M player option. I know it's Sacramento and they have as much a shot to contend in the West next year as Dan Uggla does of winning the triple crown but who gives up $19M nowadays? I see him staying there for one more season, then taking an MLE-level deal with a contender come 2015.

The options after him are slim pickings to say the least. Ariza isn't that bad unless you want him to create his own shot; which is what the Hawks so desperately need from its wings. Hayward would be great if they already had that alpha guy already here. I still see Lance Stephenson as Osh with more range and less predictability so I wouldn't be the most thrilled to see him cut a $15M/year check to play here. And I'm not even going to discuss bringing Kirilenko in unless someone dumps him in the hottub time machine and set it back to 2005.

So that leaves guys I paid little attention to (see Nick Young or Jodie Meeks), those being ignored now by their own teams (see Evan Thomas), or those whose tread has worn off the tires (see Deng, Luol).

I dunno. A trade might be needed and that opens up another can of worms...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Easy there, Mommy! crazy.gif

IIRC, Minny would give him a lot more money (I thought I read about 9-10 per), but he chose to have a pay cut to play for his russian comrade at the helm @ Brooklyn and the newly (at the time) acquired Boston suckers. He thought he could be a champion. This is why he got the player option. He was sold a russian dream. He would be free to leave if things didn't go well.

I don't know of his injuries this season, but the seasons before he was playing (and starting) 60-65 game per year. That's not bad at all for a guy his age.

He shoots over 50%, mostly at the rim, but can also nail some 3s and his defense is stellar IMO. I for one would be ecstatic to sign him for 7M (one or two seasons only).

• Moderators

IIRC, Minny would give him a lot more money (I thought I read about 9-10 per), but he chose to have a pay cut to play for his russian comrade at the helm @ Brooklyn and the newly (at the time) acquired Boston suckers. He thought he could be a champion. This is why he got the player option. He was sold a russian dream. He would be free to leave if things didn't go well.

I don't know of his injuries this season, but the seasons before he was playing (and starting) 60-65 game per year. That's not bad at all for a guy his age.

He shoots over 50%, mostly at the rim, but can also nail some 3s and his defense is stellar IMO. I for one would be ecstatic to sign him for 7M (one or two seasons only).

I guess this is a strange case maybe but who is the last nba to double his salary at 33 years old? I can't think of one especially a wing. Maybe Kobe?

LOL.

He and his agent misjudged the market for a 32 year old when he opted out from Minny.

He is now a year older from the previous year with nagging injuries, I don't think he'll be that Minny guy again - I'll take him for 1yr/4mil (maybe).

LOL.

He and his agent misjudged the market for a 32 year old when he opted out from Minny.

He is now a year older from the previous year with nagging injuries, I don't think he'll be that Minny guy again - I'll take him for 1yr/4mil (maybe).

• Moderators

Bear in mind Kirilinko took a way under market deal (at the time) from a Russian billionaire known for getting things done. Odds of Kirilenko having something under the table back in Russia are good. Odds of him wanting to cross his owner are bad. I expect him to stay put.

I don't see any reason to go for mid-level or over-the-hill free agents. Just bring in guys like DMC - guys who will do anything to make it - and let Coach Bud coach-em-up.

Coach Bud: "Come to the Hawks training camp and bring your "A" game. We can get you there with the modified mid-major (Princeton) offense"

Coach Bud: "Also...if you want your car painted cheap...call my brother-in-law...top quality work!...dent filling extra."

.With you a 100% on this. SA spurs did this every year. Found a diamond in the rough and made them shine in their system