• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Which SF We Need

jmac54

• Moderators

For 8-10 I would get him. Would he get rid of his 20 million player option though?

That is the 10 million dollar question. How much is winning worth to him. Right now, he gets $20 million to play w/ Cousins on another 30 win Kings team. If he leaves for the Hawks, it's more like $10 mil/yr w/ Horf, Teague, KK, and Sap which is good for 50 wins barring injury. Is that good enough to be considered a contender? We'd still have cap in 2015 w/ Sap, DMC, Pero, Jenkins, and Lou (totaling $22 mil) coming off the books.

That is the 10 million dollar question. How much is winning worth to him. Right now, he gets $20 million to play w/ Cousins on another 30 win Kings team. If he leaves for the Hawks, it's more like $10 mil/yr w/ Horf, Teague, KK, and Sap which is good for 50 wins barring injury. Is that good enough to be considered a contender? We'd still have cap in 2015 w/ Sap, DMC, Pero, Jenkins, and Lou (totaling $22 mil) coming off the books.

His agent will tell him to suck it up in Sac for 1 more season, then be free and still probably sign a similar deal next season (barring injury or a total meltdown of course grin.gif )

His agent will tell him to suck it up in Sac for 1 more season, then be free and still probably sign a similar deal next season (barring injury or a total meltdown of course grin.gif )

This would be good for us also. We get another to see if his efficiency is sustainable and if so, we'll be in position to sign him in 2015.

This would be good for us also. We get another to see if his efficiency is sustainable and if so, we'll be in position to sign him in 2015.

Yep - I think Ferry is looking more towards the 2015 FAcy than this season - more players will be available.

• Premium Member

You pay max money for stars and try to get the lower tier guys on good deals. You can ruin your team quickly giving out deals like 9M for Ariza.

Ferry did a very good job with that with Sap and DMC this past offseason.

This right here. If the Hawks ride it out for one more year, they'll have plenty to offer to max worthy free agents. I would think they wouldn't want to ruin that opportunity.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

He won't see anything close to the max or the deal he currently has. He isn't a game changing superstar which is the only thing that warrants a max deal under this CBA. Only a hand full of players in that category. Gay is a cog in a well-oiled machine. He needs other great players around him that mesh to play well. Horford and company would be a great fit and I see a deal around $10-12 mil tops.

• Like 1

He won't see anything close to the max or the deal he currently has. He isn't a game changing superstar which is the only thing that warrants a max deal under this CBA. Only a hand full of players in that category. Gay is a cog in a well-oiled machine. He needs other great players around him that mesh to play well. Horford and company would be a great fit and I see a deal around $10-12 mil tops.

I meant whether he opts out and signs a new deal this year or finishes the contract then signs next year either contracts would be in a similar range of whatever the market rate is (not the 20 mil)

Yup...and see if gay really wants to win he doesn't listen to his agent because his agent will tell him to stay because the more gay gets the more the agent gets.

I wonder if gay is ready to grow up and actually give himself a chance? Sometimes that involves leaving money on the table...just sayin

• Premium Member

Makes sense except I think DMC has shown how valuable he is as a starter. If we could find one I think we're better off finding a good 2 guard and keeping Demarre in the starting (and finishing) lineup.

I'm thinking the same. I'd rather get an upgrade to start at SG and then use Korver as the sixth man at SF/SG.

• Like 2

I'm thinking the same. I'd rather get an upgrade to start at SG and then use Korver as the sixth man at SF/SG.

POW! macdaddy and Sothron just nailed it on the head. DMC starts, efficient scoring free agent SG starts, KK 6th man of the year. Teague, FA, DMC, Sap, Horf with a 2nd squad of Mack, KK, 15th pick, Scott, and whoever of Antić/Bebe/Moose/Brand is on the roster and playing the best D. That's ECFs right there, my friends.

http://youtu.be/PMg2638WkjI

POW! macdaddy and Sothron just nailed it on the head. DMC starts, efficient scoring free agent SG starts, KK 6th man of the year. Teague, FA, DMC, Sap, Horf with a 2nd squad of Mack, KK, 15th pick, Scott, and whoever of Antić/Bebe/Moose/Brand is on the roster and playing the best D. That's ECFs right there, my friends.

http://youtu.be/PMg2638WkjI

I like but who's the realistic target at SG?

Or are we going start seeing Aaron Afflalo dreams again?

It would be great to get a slashing SG but I'm not seeing any we can actually get. A more realistic thing to happen would be that 15th pick starting at SG if we want to move Korver to the bench.

There are plenty of options in this years free agent class; just not a lot of stars. I am gong to trust Ferry in guarding our cap and not committing long term to a big contract that proves futile in the long run.

I think Korver, Millsap; Ellis, is proof positive that the long term luxury penalties are on most GM's minds.....A 20 to 25 million dollar deal is now a big investment in a non all-star player.

Jrue Holiday, an all star, only got 41 million over 4 years. The only big spender in last seasons free agent class was the Bobcats with Al Jefferson IMO. And his deal is only for 41 million over three seasons.

Stern was all smiles last season as the only players that got max deals were the two players that most see as worth it....D12 and CP3.

As much as teams hate losing their UFA's; I think more and more will start changing teams once their contracts are up. Harden and Holiday are perfect examples; and only the tip of the iceberg. Teams need to be in a position where they can max out their stars or future stars.

Players who are good but not great are going to stop seeing those crazy 10 to 14 + million dollar offers from their bird rights teams.

Edited by Buzzard

The rumor on Hayward last season: he was looking for 10 million a year. The Jazz gave Favors 49 million over four years and Hayward wanted nothing less. The Jazz, for some reason, last season thought more of Favors than Hayward.

Its a similar situation OKC was in with Ibaka and Harden. Hayward is not Harden and I don't think Favors is Ibaka either. Hayward could very well get his 40 to 50 million dollar offer sheet this summer. It will be interesting to see what Utah does.

Edited by Buzzard

P.J. Tucker, Mike Miller, Richard Jefferson all make sense as rather cheap veteran proven bench options at the SF spot. Prefer Tucker even though he is restricted.

Draft a SF. McDermott, Glenn Robinson, or T.J. Warren.

Which SF we need? Demarre Carroll. And draft his backup at 15 from this list: Dario Saric, Doug McDermott, Rodney Hood, Jerami Grant, TJ Warren, Cleanthony Early, Glenn Robinson III, DeAndre Daniels, and KJ McDaniels. The real question should be: which SG we need. And the answer is Aaron Afflalo in a trade (Lou, Jenks, picks, so forth). KK becomes 6th Man of the Year. Then make the BIG splash in the 2015 free agency bonanza and on to the ECFs.

Edited by hazer

I think we'll have to decide between a SG and SF in FA. Which do we need more given our bench and startedrs I think a center will take precedence and then one or the other of SG/SF. UNLESS...........we make a trade. And I don't see a whole lot of value in Williams and a second! I was always impressed that the Spurs would find someone (a relative nobody) and plug them into their system and they would shine. Hope DF and Budz do the same.

Yeah, Lou and 2nd ain't gonna net Afflalo. Another player and/or pick would need to be tossed in. I'm no trade guru, anybody seen or worked up a decent Hawks/Magic trade for Afflalo yet? I know Aaron's salary is $7.5 mil, not sure about exceptions/clauses/holds/etc that have to factored in.

I think we'll have to decide between a SG and SF in FA. Which do we need more given our bench and startedrs I think a center will take precedence and then one or the other of SG/SF. UNLESS...........we make a trade. And I don't see a whole lot of value in Williams and a second! I was always impressed that the Spurs would find someone (a relative nobody) and plug them into their system and they would shine. Hope DF and Budz do the same.

With Horf, Antić, Moose, and possibly Bebe and/or Brand, Hawks are set at C. Sap even played 5 some during small ball. Hawks have an allstar 5. Although Walter Tavares would be interesting with the 43rd pick.

Edited by hazer