Name the 5 guys you want the Hawks to take at 15

coachx

McDaniels reminds me of Paul George. Am I crazy?

The more I study this guy, the more I love him. I have a feeling he's gonna soar up from currently projected early to mid 20's pick to between 15-20. Might be too early to pick him at 15 but if we like him we should reach and grab him.

McDaniels reminds me of Paul George. Am I crazy?

You could call him the mini Paul George or the shooting guard version. George measured 6'7 3/4" without shoes. McDaniels measured 6'4 1/2".

You could call him the mini Paul George or the shooting guard version. George measured 6'7 3/4" without shoes. McDaniels measured 6'4 1/2".

Standing height is meaningless............but I don't get the George comparison either. McDaniels is more of a raw athlete where George is a silky smooth player.

McDaniels wingspan is 6'11.25'' .........the identical wingspan as the much taller George.

I see McDaniels as a Ruben Patterson like defensive stopper on the wing with elite athletic ability. I don't see him as an allstar but he is elite at what he does do well.

Standing height is meaningless............but I don't get the George comparison either. McDaniels is more of a raw athlete where George is a silky smooth player.

McDaniels wingspan is 6'11.25'' .........the identical wingspan as the much taller George.

I see McDaniels as a Ruben Patterson like defensive stopper on the wing with elite athletic ability. I don't see him as an allstar but he is elite at what he does do well.

I am not going to argue about athletic ability. Its really great if you can jump through the roof; but you have to have to be a big enough body not to get pushed around in the NBA.

Standing height and a thick body is not meaningless when it comes to one on one post defense.

Hoods other measurements besides shooting, which he won hands down against McDermont, Warren, and McDaniels, and physicals.

Lane agility, he is behind McDermont and Warren

Shuttle run, he is behind McDaniels and McDermont

3/4 court sprint, he finished ahead of McDermont, Warren, and McDaniels

Standing vertical leap, he finished behind only McDaniels

Max vertical leap, you get a few steps, he finished behind McDaniels and McDermont

I don't see any reason not to like this guy. Toss out McDaniels as he is a athletic freak; and his primary competition is a projected top ten pick in McDermont. He beat Warren in every category except lane agility.

Edited by Buzzard

I am not going to argue about athletic ability. Its really great if you can jump through the roof; but you have to have to be a big enough body not to get pushed around in the NBA.

Standing height and a thick body is not meaningless when it comes to one on one post defense.

I never said weight was meaningless...........but standing height is.

It doesn't matter if a PF is 6'8'' or 7' if the standing reach is equal at 8'11''.

Now sure 240 lbs on a 6'8'' guy is a lot better then 240 lbs on a 7' guy................but again I was not argueing over weight.

My point is simply that standing reach and wingspan trump standing height unless the player is blocks shots by hitting the ball with his head.

Hoods other measurements besides shooting, which he won hands down against McDermont, Warren, and McDaniels, and physicals.

Beating someone in a shooting drill against a chair is more important then game results ? That seems to be what you saying.

McDermott was the better shooter in real games against real competition.

Not saying Hood is not a good shooter just stating the fact that final judgments are not made on drills in a practice gym over live in game performance.

• Like 1

I never said weight was meaningless...........but standing height is.

It doesn't matter if a PF is 6'8'' or 7' if the standing reach is equal at 8'11''.

Now sure 240 lbs on a 6'8'' guy is a lot better then 240 lbs on a 7' guy................but again I was not argueing over weight.

My point is simply that standing reach and wingspan trump standing height unless the player is blocks shots by hitting the ball with his head.

Very few great shooters are athletic freaks; and most use their body to push in the post offensively or hold their ground in the post defensively. One of the biggest concerns on Hood is can he keep his weight down.

Hood is a shooter and he has a SF NBA body. Will that translate? I don't know with 100% accuracy, but I like him and have moved him up my list to #2 behind only Young for players that I realistically think will be around at 15. No telling who will reach or pass on either; but they are two of the hotter topics at every mock draft you go to.

Revised list:

Young

Hood

Warren

Stauskas

Lavine

Not many mentioning Gary Harris. I don't really follow college ball so i'm just asking. I see his name popping up as one of the better SGs in the draft.

His measurables are killing him. He has the length of a small PG............but he he was very productive at MSU. I saw him school the talented UK freshman early in the season.

His size just scares me but he could be a good 6th man one day with ability to score.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

I trust your judgment on Grant since I know you watched a lot more Syracuse games then I. For some reason he always stood out when I watched them as a guy with untapped potential.

I saw at least a dozen UK games and Young is really hard for me to get a handle on. Despite having 3 or 4 better players around him, at UK, his FG% was only 40%. The Harrison twins handled the ball more then he did too. I never watched a UK game and thought...........wow Young looks like one of the best players on the floor. He always just blended into the game rather then stick out.

Grant is a guy that you pick at the bottom of the 1st and he is a guy who gives you a ton of energy off the bench and he'll defend, rebound and get putback baskets. But man he's maybe the most inconsistent shooter I've ever seen. He can go from a 10' airball on one shot to a swish on the next.

I agree with the Hood remark about him not having that dog in him, but really I think Rasheed Sulaimon is the only Duke player on this years team who absolutely has it in him, with the exception maybe being Parker but I'm not convinced with him just yet.

I didn't see a ton of Kentucky games so I don't know about Young either but I hear good things and he's got prototypical size for what we want. On the other hand, he's an atrocious rebounder for that size and that makes me question whether Ferry / Bud would go for a SF like that.

I wonder if by the time the draft rolls around if we won't be looking hard at Kyle Anderson. He's a stud rebounder, shooter and distributor with prototypical size for the SF position. What's your thoughts on him @coachx

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Anderson ticks all of the right boxes. Unfortunately, you got to have at least some quickness in the NBA and he's not quick at all. But he's the most skilled player in the draft and he NEVER seems out of control. I love his game and hopes he succeeds. I can honestly see Ferry giving a guy like Anderson a long look. He reminds me of a slower Lamar Odom.

• Like 1

Grant is a guy that you pick at the bottom of the 1st and he is a guy who gives you a ton of energy off the bench and he'll defend, rebound and get putback baskets. But man he's maybe the most inconsistent shooter I've ever seen. He can go from a 10' airball on one shot to a swish on the next.

I agree with the Hood remark about him not having that dog in him, but really I think Rasheed Sulaimon is the only Duke player on this years team who absolutely has it in him, with the exception maybe being Parker but I'm not convinced with him just yet.

I didn't see a ton of Kentucky games so I don't know about Young either but I hear good things and he's got prototypical size for what we want. On the other hand, he's an atrocious rebounder for that size and that makes me question whether Ferry / Bud would go for a SF like that.

I wonder if by the time the draft rolls around if we won't be looking hard at Kyle Anderson. He's a stud rebounder, shooter and distributor with prototypical size for the SF position. What's your thoughts on him @coachx

&

Young is so hard for me too judge b/c he not only played on such a talented team (which will water down production) but he played on team that started 3 guys with redundant skills in the 6'6'' Harrison twins and Young. Plus they played with 2 bigs who clogged up the paint more then most teams.

I like Kyle Anderson. He is proof that you don't have to be a good athlete to be a good basketball player at the wing position. You have to love his basketball IQ. He plays a lot like a less athletic Jabari Parker as a point forward. He is less of an athlete then Hood or McDermott..........that makes me pause when imagining him defend but you have to love his BB IQ.

If Ferry truly wants to upgrade the athleticism on the wings then I think he passes on Anderson. Korver and Anderson would have a hard time playing together.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

Beating someone in a shooting drill against a chair is more important then game results ? That seems to be what you saying.

McDermott was the better shooter in real games against real competition.

Not saying Hood is not a good shooter just stating the fact that final judgments are not made on drills in a practice gym over live in game performance.

I said McDermont was a top ten pick. He has a better career and better physical attributes. But Hood stood out well against everyone else mentioned as a top 15 pick at SF.

The reason for his rise is he is possibly the 2nd best pure shooter in the draft and his competition fell after their measurements. Mostly due to speed, agility, shooting, and height.

Edited by Buzzard

His measurables are killing him. He has the length of a small PG............but he he was very productive at MSU. I saw him school the talented UK freshman early in the season.

His size just scares me but he could be a good 6th man one day with ability to score.

He is one of the drops that made Young and Hood rise up on most draft boards. Until the combine, Young and Hood were going to be available at 15 on 90% of the mocks I looked at. Now Young is gone by then on almost all of them. And Hood is still available at 15 on about 50% of them.

Edited by Buzzard

Anderson ticks all of the right boxes. Unfortunately, you got to have at least some quickness in the NBA and he's not quick at all. But he's the most skilled player in the draft and he NEVER seems out of control. I love his game and hopes he succeeds. I can honestly see Ferry giving a guy like Anderson a long look. He reminds me of a slower Lamar Odom.

Maybe more like a better shooting Diaw?

• Like 2

1. Doug McdyD even if it means sending Shreds and 15 to move up to 8 to get him

2. Napier, figure out the other roster moves later just get this kid.

3. Mitch McGary, Ferry would never do it but sometimes you gotta roll the dice

4. Randle: See Doug M if hes there at 8 and a deal can be worked out with Sactown

5. Semaj Christian solid scorer, solid defender and most important an XMAN