• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pau Gasol

Charman212002

Forgive me for continuing to bring this up but I'm surprised there's not more talk about Pau

If he came here at a Milsap like salary he would check so many boxes for this team:

-Great passer

-Great shooter

-Great teammate

-High BBIQ

-Championship experience

-Moves Al to PF

What am I missing? Why all the talk about guys like Asik and Hawes and not Pau?

Because at least with Asik and Hawes you can bring those guys off the bench. It's doubtful that Pau would sign here to play off the bench, plus he's much older than those 2 guys. Offensively and passing wise he'd fit in very well but I don't like any lineup that moves Millsap to the bench or to SF. Then you've got to factor in that he's an awful defender as well and we really need someone we can bring in for matchups who can offset our defensive struggles in the paint. Asik can do that and matches up well with the offensive abilities of Al and Millsap so they could rotate the 4-5 spots. I'm not crazy about Hawes but he shouldn't cost too much and compared to Pau he's an All-NBA level defender. Oh and Gasol has missed 17, 33 and 22 games the past 3 years and he's just getting older and has a ton of miles on his legs.

• Like 1

Because at least with Asik and Hawes you can bring those guys off the bench. It's doubtful that Pau would sign here to play off the bench, plus he's much older than those 2 guys. Offensively and passing wise he'd fit in very well but I don't like any lineup that moves Millsap to the bench or to SF. Then you've got to factor in that he's an awful defender as well and we really need someone we can bring in for matchups who can offset our defensive struggles in the paint. Asik can do that and matches up well with the offensive abilities of Al and Millsap so they could rotate the 4-5 spots. I'm not crazy about Hawes but he shouldn't cost too much and compared to Pau he's an All-NBA level defender. Oh and Gasol has missed 17, 33 and 22 games the past 3 years and he's just getting older and has a ton of miles on his legs.

Asik isn't coming here if we give him a bench spot. He wants to start. I assume Hawes does as well. Sap at three is not a big issue since in this scenario both our bigs can shoot from midrange very well.

Asik isn't coming here if we give him a bench spot. He wants to start. I assume Hawes does as well. Sap at three is not a big issue since in this scenario both our bigs can shoot from midrange very well.

Asik isn't a free agent so that point is not relevant. But to discuss it, I think having him in a rotation with Al at the 5 where he plays big minutes at C (but doesn't start) won't be an issue as we can easily get him 30 mpg.

Sap at the 3 is a big issue as he's nowhere near quick enough to consistently defend the position from the wing and he's not a good slasher either, which we need at the position.

Only problem is pau will want to start and he's old. I rather we get a younger guy. However asik will want to start too but like dolf said it wouldn't matter if we traded for him. Hawes probably wants to start but more than anything he wants to win. You can get away with hawes being on the bench as long as he's in a winning situation.

I don't like asik coming here because of his limited offense. To me hawes is the perfect center or Monroe can be molded to be our perfect center for this team.

• Premium Member

Asik isn't a free agent so that point is not relevant. But to discuss it, I think having him in a rotation with Al at the 5 where he plays big minutes at C (but doesn't start) won't be an issue as we can easily get him 30 mpg.

Sap at the 3 is a big issue as he's nowhere near quick enough to consistently defend the position from the wing and he's not a good slasher either, which we need at the position.

Asik = 30 mpg at C.

Horf = 20 mpg at PF. 14 mpg at C.

Pero = 4 mpg at C.

Sap = 28 mpg at PF, 10 mpg at Sf.

Point is rotation can handle this. We make big deals of nothing. The real question is can Asik help us. I say Definitely.

I'm probably beating this point to death in multiple threads, but I don't think Asik would take well to not starting here.

I wouldn't mind Pau here on a reasonable deal. Could we trade Saps for the wing we need?

I don't think Asik or most players care about starting it's about their minutes and who finishes the game. If "starting" is really that big of a deal to him then there's zero chance I'd actually want him on this team.

Asik = 30 mpg at C.

Horf = 20 mpg at PF. 14 mpg at C.

Pero = 4 mpg at C.

Sap = 28 mpg at PF, 10 mpg at Sf.

Point is rotation can handle this. We make big deals of nothing. The real question is can Asik help us. I say Definitely.

That's what I was saying is there's plenty of minutes for him.

• Admin

Two points ... Pau is not coming here... He is not going to sign for less money to come to a 38 win team. He is either going to a contender or will sign with his bro in Memphis

Second, there is nothing wrong with sap coming off the bench... That could make this te much stronger and give us a real punch when he and his dynamic abilities come in to spell Al or acquired center. A lot of interesting lineups. Him at the three just so he can start doesn't make sense.

• Moderators

Coming off the bench may not mean much to us but it means a helluva a lot to the players because it impacts how their perceived in the league which directly impacts their paycheck. If we sign Sap to an extension then maybe we can get away with it but if we take an All star and put him on the bench, even if he plays 30 minutes, you think he'll re-up?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Coming off the bench may not mean much to us but it means a helluva a lot to the players because it impacts how their perceived in the league which directly impacts their paycheck. If we sign Sap to an extension then maybe we can get away with it but if we take an All star and put him on the bench, even if he plays 30 minutes, you think he'll re-up?

Depends on the All-Star.

Sometimes they embrace it if it means a better team. See Ginobili, Manu as an example.

Besides the fact he is probably going to be behind Millsap and Horford. A lot of posters here think Asik is a lock to stay with us. He is a UFA after next season. We have no control on what another team offers him; or if he gets disheartened again and wants to walk.

Houston is not going to get a lot for a potential one year rental. Unlike Love who can opt out this season and sign long term, Asik cannot opt out and therefore give his new team assurances he will stick around for the long haul.

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

Depends on the All-Star.

Sometimes they embrace it if it means a better team. See Ginobili, Manu as an example.

I guess. I can't think of another example though. Manu has had a lot of injuries too so i think that played a role not to mention going deep into the playoffs every year and winning championships. I think Sap would do it and not complain at all. If we became a contender then he may even embrace it. But if we put him on the bench and have another first round exit I sure don't see him sticking around.

For a cheap deal I'd love him. I think Millsap/Horford/Gasol can share the floor for small stretches, Gasol would get the Duncan treatment and get a lot of rest and he's also a good mentor for our young big guys.

Gasol, Millsap and Horford are all class acts. Millsap would be fine coming off the bench I think, and he'd finish the games anyway. I'm up for adding as many assets as possible and Gasol on a nice deal is an asset. If we have issues, we have more trade options.

Edit:

As far as minutes at the 4/5 go, with everyone playing...

Millsap: 26 (with 4 minutes at the 3)

Horford: 30

Gasol: 26ish

With the leftover 12-14 minutes distributed among Antić, Bebe and Muscala depending on matchups and who's playing well. We'd have depth in case of injuries and foul trouble, and on top of that Gasol would have games where he sits. For a solid 2-3 year deal, Gasol would rock.

Edited by TheFuzz

• Moderators

I guess. I can't think of another example though. Manu has had a lot of injuries too so i think that played a role not to mention going deep into the playoffs every year and winning championships. I think Sap would do it and not complain at all. If we became a contender then he may even embrace it. But if we put him on the bench and have another first round exit I sure don't see him sticking around.

I hasn't been a matter of injury or minutes because he has been doing it for a long time. He won his 6th man award 7 years ago. John Havlicek is the HOFer example to lead all examples of this. Sap has come off the bench plenty already and I think he might be able to buy into it as long as he gets his minutes.

As far as minutes at the 4/5 go, with everyone playing...

Millsap: 26 (with 4 minutes at the 3)

Horford: 30

Gasol: 26ish

These are not enough minutes for Millsap or Horford, IMO. We can't afford 12-14 minutes per game for guys like Antić if it means playing Paul Millsap 26 minutes per game. These:

Millsap: 33 (26 minutes at PF; 7 minutes at SF)

Horford: 34 (18 minutes at PF; 16 minutes at C)

Gasol: 30 (30 minutes at center)

Look more realistic to me.

• Premium Member

Allstar means a whole helluva lot more than playing off the bench. Sap is secured. I've never seen Jamal Crawford in a bad way contract wise.