• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Something I have to admit being wrong about

Wretch

• Premium Member

Oh...one other thing, which I was NOT wrong about.

For the people that say "Atlanta isn't a basketball town." I was never one of those people. I've always said that the city loves basketball and would support a winning team - I just didn't think they'd get behind a non-flashy, blue collar type (e.g. - Pistons, Pacers, Spurs, Memphis, etc.)

• Premium Member

I agree with most of the above, but ATL does need a little flash to get the casual fans excited. I still feel a superstar is needed to bring a little more excitement and hopefully entice more fans to show up to the regular season 'work night' games.

• Premium Member

But should we tank for a superstar? That's the real question. {/sarcasm}

LOL.... Well, we will certainly find out what we shoulda/woulda/coulda in like 5-6 years! Oh man, it's gonna be some kind of crazy when we necro these threads from 2013/14!

I have quite a few of them bookmarked. :D

• Like 2

Look at the ball, go back about 7 or 8 rows to the cat with the camouflage shirt, then look left. There I is.

It was an electric atmosphere to say the least. We just need work on keeping the intensity when the opposing team goes on a run, has the momentum, or lead. We kinda died down during those stretches. We get the full-game intensity down, and we'll be up there with Oracle, Madison, The Madhouse, etc. we just gotta snatch those damn tickets up before the transplants and bandwagoners. Seeing The Ted explode with Red Sox fans after the Ortiz HR on Memorial Day was about all I could take.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Look at the ball, go back about 7 or 8 rows to the cat with the camouflage shirt, then look left. There I is.

It was an electric atmosphere to say the least. We just need work on keeping the intensity when the opposing team goes on a run, has the momentum, or lead. We kinda died down during those stretches. We get the full-game intensity down, and we'll be up there with Oracle, Madison, The Madhouse, etc. we just gotta snatch those damn tickets up before the transplants and bandwagoners. Seeing The Ted explode with Red Sox fans after the Ortiz HR on Memorial Day was about all I could take.

Why aren't you wearing the shirt? Over your shoulder like you're too cool to wear a free t-shirt huh?

• Like 1

Seeing The Ted explode with Red Sox fans after the Ortiz HR on Memorial Day was about all I could take.

I'm not a Braves fan, but I just happened to have my TV on that game right before Papi hit that homer

That crowd reaction was ridiculous. May as well have been Boston South.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

I'm not a Braves fan, but I just happened to have my TV on that game right before Papi hit that homer

That crowd reaction was ridiculous. May as well have been Boston South.

I couldn't understand what was happening - I said to the hubby I thought the Braves were playing at home, he said yep I said wow!

• Admin

roy-hibbert-paul-millsap-nba-playoffs-in

Look at that crowd. This has been on my mind since game six.... Look at that damn crowd. I've watched the Hawks play for 30 years and I have never seen the crowd look like that. It doesn't compare to the energy of the 2008 series, but it's incredible to see our arena filled with Hawks fans...in Hawks colors. Just when I'm starting to sour on the management again...the team does something like this. It gives me chills looking at these pictures and makes me hope...that one day, we'll still be on TV this late in the game.

20140501_ajl_gb1_114.jpg.0_standard_730.

Seeing that crowd though, it has dawned on me that I was really wrong about something. I didn't think that ATL wouldn't get behind a faceless, grind it out, "blue collar" type team. Personally, I'm a die hard fan of the game and a bit of a basketball purist, so I never had a problem with that.

...but I have been proven wrong about what the Hawks fan base wants, and I have to admit it.

My opinion is still firmly that we need an elite player put us over into contention, but it's painfully obvious to me that Hawks fans just want a winner and they don't care what style of ball they play.

We have been putting a winning product on the floor for a while...they still don't show up until the playoffs

• Premium Member

I couldn't understand what was happening - I said to the hubby I thought the Braves were playing at home, he said yep I said wow!

There seems to be a lot of Bostonians living down around metro Atlanta.

This is what I heard in my head reading that 1st sentence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE

• Premium Member

I think the big support was because the team was on the cusp of doing something great and historic by beating the top seeded team. Otherwise, their not showing up for the average, run of the mill stuff we're used to getting from the Hawks. Win or lose, if ever the Hawks got ownership and management that was seriously pursuing greatness, no doubt that the fans would routinely support it.

I think the big support was because the team was on the cusp of doing something great and historic by beating the top seeded team. Otherwise, their not showing up for the average, run of the mill stuff we're used to getting from the Hawks. Win or lose, if ever the Hawks got ownership and management that was seriously pursuing greatness, no doubt that the fans would routinely support it.

No doubt to you but I have my doubts. I don't think the fans will show up to weekday games against sub-par teams unless there's a superstar on that team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

We have been putting a winning product on the floor for a while...they still don't show up until the playoffs

That's not so much the point. It's more about the kind of team ATL fans are willing to get behind. Up until now, I just figured we'd need a superstar team with more "flash" to keep a devoted fan base. I didn't think a "blue collar" type of team was going to cut it - no matter how successful.

I'm changing my tune though. Especially considering that we have been putting a playoff team on the floor for years and the fans still came out and got behind this "faceless" club. If we could get a team to the ECF's or finals, I believe ATL would go nuts...regardles of what KIND of team got us there. I was never confused about our overall attendance woes.

Edited by Wretch