• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Greg Monroe

Swatguy

I wonder if the Hawks coaches think that this has been a system / coaching issue with Monroe?  I don't recall him being THIS bad defensively in college but of course there wasn't as much skill or scheming to exploit him. 

Greg Monroe  (S&T) for Paul Milsap + Salmons...The only way i see this trade coming through is if the Hawks have their sites on a elite outside shooter.. 

Can Salmons be combined in a trade package ?

Another poster thought he could only be traded without any of our current players being included.

• Admin

Greg Monroe  (S&T) for Paul Milsap + Salmons...The only way i see this trade coming through is if the Hawks have their sites on a elite outside shooter.. 

Sap would be a great fit there if they can also unload Smith.  

Zach Lowe analyzes Monroe's defense... and it's just as I recall and it's not good.

That is really bad defense.  Al is the better center especially defensively.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Monroe is a disaster on defense. I'm talking inferior to Zaza and his motor on that end is non existent. On offense, he's a somewhat poormans version of Zbo. If you put him at 5, you are gonna have to surround him with ultra athletic 3s and 4s.

• Moderators

@hawksfanatic broke it down. It would basically require 2 deals but it could get done if we gamed the system. 

You can't split it into two deals if we are only getting back one player.  If you are looking at Monroe for $14M, you can't get it done with Millsap + Salmons as your only assets.  

I wonder if the Hawks coaches think that this has been a system / coaching issue with Monroe?  I don't recall him being THIS bad defensively in college but of course there wasn't as much skill or scheming to exploit him. 

I think it is a combination of Monroe not being a good natural defender and a system/coaching issue.  I think the organization and coaching has been disfunctional which has hurt him and that playing him in the post would be a better fit than having him trying to go out further because you want your true center parked in the paint.  Horford would actually be a good big to pair with him because of Horford's excellent mobility.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The pistons arent going to let greg monroe walk for nothing, they are going to match every offer even if its for the max. We are going to have to put together a trade package that is more attractive than what Portland, Orlando, Cleveland? are offering.

I don't think so.  The Pistons have Josh Signed for a lot.  They don't want to be in the position that when Drummond comes up they can't sign him for the max.  Hello OKC.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't think so.  The Pistons have Josh Signed for a lot.  They don't want to be in the position that when Drummond comes up they can't sign him for the max.  Hello OKC.

I think there is a good chance that Pistons do everything in their power to unload Josh this offseason - including coupling him with an asset like KCP or a future pick to get out of his contract.

• Premium Member

Well, if you think about the Spurs way... Duncan is no longer an elite defender, but they play a good team defense that doesn't depend on elite defenders.  They just want to get the rebound.

Never been excited about Monroe. He's a very average player with a low ceiling. His defense scares me and I don't like the fact that he's not a true center. To me, he's not close to the max, I'm a bit distraught that we are supposedly going after him. Luckily, if a player's name is leaked in the media that we are interested in, we never get that guy.

Lets focus on Parsons, Deng, Ariza, Hayward first.

Well, if you think about the Spurs way... Duncan is no longer an elite defender, but they play a good team defense that doesn't depend on elite defenders.  They just want to get the rebound.

Diesel, better be careful saying anything disparaging about Duncan.  Some on this board still think he's Timmy D of 10 years ago. 

You can't split it into two deals if we are only getting back one player.  If you are looking at Monroe for $14M, you can't get it done with Millsap + Salmons as your only assets.

You don't really need to if you just want Monroe. Millsap alone can bring back $13,600,000 so you move him for Monroe. If you want someone else as well then you trade Salmons and the Pistons can just drop him or trade him like we did. So basically we'd be giving the Pistons a Monroe replacement and get them out of an expiring deal, like Will Bynum for example that would add 3 million more to our cap.

I think it is a combination of Monroe not being a good natural defender and a system/coaching issue.  I think the organization and coaching has been disfunctional which has hurt him and that playing him in the post would be a better fit than having him trying to go out further because you want your true center parked in the paint.  Horford would actually be a good big to pair with him because of Horford's excellent mobility.

Agreed a healthy Horford would fit well next to him. But you can't put a weak / slow defender on the wing though or teams will scheme to take advantage of Monroe. That's why I think you've got to upgrade Korver defensively with someone quicker and longer.

Monroe makes Duncan, even at this age, look like an all world defender. It's a mental limitation right now with Monroe not knowing where he should be on D and being slow to react. That's why I referred to him as a spectator on D earlier because that's what I always notice. You'd never see Splitter/Duncan or Duncan/Diaw reacting like that on D. 

• Like 1

Monroe makes Duncan, even at this age, look like an all world defender. It's a mental limitation right now with Monroe not knowing where he should be on D and being slow to react. That's why I referred to him as a spectator on D earlier because that's what I always notice. You'd never see Splitter/Duncan or Duncan/Diaw reacting like that on D. 

That's what concerns me about Monroe.  He's got a great post game on offense but his defense is questionable.  He's also got good passing skills.  What's funny, is some of the same people who criticize me for thinking Pau may be an option on a reasonable contract think Monroe is the answer in the middle.  Pau's a lot older, but essentially the same player with more shooting range and should be a lot cheaper. 

Now, if scouts feel Monroe could develop into an average or above average defender, then that's a move you have to consider.  I think if Millsap is the odd-man out on a S&T, then there probably needs to be a 3rd team involved unless Detroit is lucky enough to deal Josh. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

You don't really need to if you just want Monroe. Millsap alone can bring back $13,600,000 so you move him for Monroe. If you want someone else as well then you trade Salmons and the Pistons can just drop him or trade him like we did. So basically we'd be giving the Pistons a Monroe replacement and get them out of an expiring deal, like Will Bynum for example that would add 3 million more to our cap.

The issue could be getting Millsap to agree to $13.6M.  Not sure where he is going to end up but as a young big it wouldn't shock me to see him over that.  There is really no reason to discuss Salmons in connection with signing or S&T Monroe.

• Premium Member

I think there is a good chance that Pistons do everything in their power to unload Josh this offseason - including coupling him with an asset like KCP or a future pick to get out of his contract.

Josh is making 13.5 M.  Next Offseason will be more active than this one.  Nobody wants to be stuck at home watching their little brother!!

• Moderators

That's what concerns me about Monroe.  He's got a great post game on offense but his defense is questionable.  He's also got good passing skills.  What's funny, is some of the same people who criticize me for thinking Pau may be an option on a reasonable contract think Monroe is the answer in the middle.  Pau's a lot older, but essentially the same player with more shooting range and should be a lot cheaper. 

Now, if scouts feel Monroe could develop into an average or above average defender, then that's a move you have to consider.  I think if Millsap is the odd-man out on a S&T, then there probably needs to be a 3rd team involved unless Detroit is lucky enough to deal Josh. 

Pau on a reasonable contract would be very intriguing.  It is his health that is the biggest red flag.

Time Duncan still averaged 1.9 bocks per game last season in 29.2 mpg to Monroe's 0.6 at 32.8mpg