• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks sign Thabo Sefolosha to a 3 years $12 million contract

GrimeyKidd

We can still have our $15 mil in capspace (if we use an exception on Thabo), We improve our bench at SG/SF for $4 mil and people are jumping off a ledge. We had Cartier Martin last season.

Mmm...  I didn't think about it. It would be great. Which exceptions do we have??

and worth noting, whether or not anyone thinks he's overpaid, washed up etc this is a guy who WANTS to play in Atlanta. Some will say thats what they all say after they sign but personally I don't care. Whenever they say they want to play in Atlanta to me thats nice to hear. 

I'm now hearing 3-5 million a year for Anthony Morrow from Miami...... Wow shooters are getting paid these days.

Yessir...and I think the fact that we damn near took out the Pacers in the first round is a big part of that.  ESPN or the glam sports shows paid little attention to us but be assured the coaches/GMs around the league took notice...then the Spurs put the icing on the cake for the shooters.  The mid-range shot is dead...you either go inside via a C/PF with a move or two or a guy penetrating to the hoop - or you shoot threes.

We can still have our $15 mil in capspace (if we use an exception on Thabo), We improve our bench at SG/SF for $4 mil and people are jumping off a ledge. We had Cartier Martin last season.

Exactly...definitely an upgrade over Cartier and not much of a cap hit.

I think sometimes Hawks fans want to get a guy at 20 years old and have him as our guy for a dozen years all the time.  That's not the way it works anymore.  You upgrade when you can for reasonable periods of time (in this case three years) and you keep moving.

Ole BK seemed to want to get all his "dream team" from the draft - then sit back and watch them excel for a long time while he sat on his throne and received congratulations.  Well, it didn't work...but even if he HAD got all his draft picks right it still wouldn't have worked for that long since guys would have moved on for better offers.

It's a fluid league - you do the best you can from year to year.

• Moderators

We had Lou Williams last season as our backup 2 guard.  Thabo is a huge improvement over Lou in that department.  We haven't replaced Martin yet which will probably be that Bazemore kid.

We had Lou Williams last season as our backup 2 guard. Thabo is a huge improvement over Lou in that department. We haven't replaced Martin yet which will probably be that Bazemore kid.

Hopefully Lamar Patterson (2nd round pick- rookie) can also help.

For just a moment put your hatred for the move aside you have to admire how Ferry operates. We truly flew under the radar on this one which is becoming the norm w/ Ferry. At any given moment we strike. Have to love the unpredictability in which were operating. I can't wait for when the next move will be made....much more fun like this. The over the top/knee jerk reactions on the boards are the cherry on top. ( flip out bc we signed a role player who fills a need vs desperately wanting a guy like Kent Bazemore who became a known name just 2/3 days ago ).

I've been keeping up with Bazemore ever since he won the 2013 Summer League MVP. The guy is good, and it's no wonder the Hawks are trying to acquire his services.

As Lou/Cartier's replacement, and Korver and DMC's BACKUP, we get the starting SG for a WCFs team 3 outta the last 4 years. Who's 5 inches taller than Lou. Who's 10 times the defensive player that Lou is (All-Defensive Team 2010). Who shot 40+% from deep 2 outta the last 3 years (injury year being the anomaly). For less money than we were paying Lou. For less than the MLE. On one of the most affordable deals to date in FAcy 2014. Possibly still leaving all of the Hawks $15mil capspace intact, depending on when/how the signing is handled. Break out your torches and pitchforks. 

Edited by hazer
  • Like 4

3 point shooting percentage does improve and varies from year to year.

I believe his best year shooting was just 2 seasons ago.

Yup, 44% in 2012. That's elite.

A couple of people have already pointed this out but I think the vast majority of you are missing an incredibly crucial point: until July 10, nobody is actually signed yet. Furthermore, the order in which we get these various free agent contracts signed actually matters. Thus, if we first spend up our cap space on a mega piece (like a $15m superstar) or a couple of big pieces (like two $7m-$8m starter types) we can then use our MLE to sign Thabo.

Let me make it even clearer: this signing potentially has ZERO IMPACT on our cap space. Y'all still complaining if we're signing Thabo for free?

(now enter hawkfanatic to shoot me down...)

• Like 4

As Lou/Cartier's replacement, and Korver and DMC's BACKUP, we get the starting SG for a WCFs team 3 outta the last 4 years. 

I wouldn't mind him starting over Korver. Our bench needs scoring more than our starters do. Korver destroying backups would make us even more deadly.

• Premium Member

Yup, 44% in 2012. That's elite.

2012 Thabo: averaged 4.8 points. Averaged less than a three point made a game and not even 2 attempted a game. And btw, the season before that: He shot .275 from three.

Elite is a funny term for some people. It is kinda like those guys that see a guy batted. 375 for a season, get all excited and saw later  only 30 at bats the whole season. #perspective