• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

In Your Opinion.....

Diesel

• Premium Member

What should the Hawks do in order to attract Big name Free Agents to want to play here?

Here's my deal.   We have Money.  We have been to the playoffs 8 times in a row which = consistency.  We have good players to build around.  We have good coaching.  But when players like Lebron, Melo, D12 or CP3... we are never a serious consideration.

NY and LAL are and they have nothing.  Not even playoff appearances.

Dallas does and they have nothing.

So what do we need to attract the big names?

What should the Hawks do in order to attract Big name Free Agents to want to play here?

Here's my deal.   We have Money.  We have been to the playoffs 8 times in a row which = consistency.  We have good players to build around.  We have good coaching.  But when players like Lebron, Melo, D12 or CP3... we are never a serious consideration.

NY and LAL are and they have nothing.  Not even playoff appearances.

Dallas does and they have nothing.

So what do we need to attract the big names?

A reputation of being great. We won't be taken seriously if we don't have that. 

• Like 1

We gotta develop our own star that players want to play with. There arent many superstars and they want to play with each other.

Even if we make it to the ecf, these big names want to play with big names. I dont know if its them being scared to commit by themselves or if they just want someone to help shoulder some of the burden of leading a franchise.

Melo, lebron, dwight are the only ones who have really paraded around and entertained the idea of moving. Other players like cp3, paul george, harden, steph curry have all resigned before they even got a chance to be a free agent. So how do you expect to lure free agents like that when there are 3 real big names in the past 2 offseasons? Especially with 29 other teams just as interested. We dont eveb get a chance to speak with the majority of the stars in this league.

Edited by skimaskway23

With this GM, coach, supporting cast, system, city, consistently getting to the ECFs (like OKC in the West) would have them lining up. Seriously, OKC and Houston get a lot of FA attention. But we have the better city, GM, coach, system, weather. Half the damn NBA lives here in the offseason. Most connected airport in the country, happening movie industry and club scene, low cost of living. Get to the ECFs like the Thunder do, and the stars will answer Ferry's calls. All things being equal, would you seriously choose Houston or Oklahoma City over Atlanta??? They wouldn't either O_o

Edited by hazer

Winning attracts, but you need players to win, so what will come first? Drafting and trading for an elite talent gets what you seek plus helps attract more elite stars.

Edited by RWF

A star player that someone wants to play with and an ECF appearance atleast.

That would work and so does changing the perception of the way players look at our organization. I live in Cincinnati; and the perception of the Bengals being the Bungals is something they have struggled with for quite a while.

I think Ferry and Bud have taken good steps towards this end. We are not a finished product but the product looks better from where I set.

• Premium Member

A reputation of being great. We won't be taken seriously if we don't have that. 

Before Lebron and Bosh went to Miami, what was their reputation of being great?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

More committed fanbase will help. Atlanta fans can be fickle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are teams with great fanbases that are in the same boat as us.  Utah, SacTown, OKC all have great fanbases.  Moreover, the heat fanbase before Lebron and Bosh came were more fickle than ours.

• Premium Member

Winning is everything....if the Hawks win the right way we will be fine...

Explain that... because we won with Nique and we won with Joe...  However, I don't remember a time when the best FAs were knocking down our door.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

With this GM, coach, supporting cast, system, city, consistently getting to the ECFs (like OKC in the West) would have them lining up. Seriously, OKC and Houston get a lot of FA attention. But we have the better city, GM, coach, system, weather. Half the damn NBA lives here in the offseason. Most connected airport in the country, happening movie industry and club scene, low cost of living. Get to the ECFs like the Thunder do, and the stars will answer Ferry's calls. All things being equal, would you seriously choose Houston or Oklahoma City over Atlanta??? They wouldn't either O_o

Hazer... I think you see the same things I do in terms of what we have to offer.

However, the ECF prerequisite is just crazy.  Especially considering this version of the Bulls haven't been to the ECF and they get plenty of attention and I believe we have more talent than they.

Still, I'm familiar with NFL FAcy and the mind of the players.   Players in the NFL are thinking....  Which teams can I add to and make better or good enough to go farther. (after money).  I mean, nobody is jumping to go to Jacksonville.  When Manning made his rounds, he chose Denver because he felt that he could make them better.   Back to Basketball... We're not an ECF team yet, but these FAs have to be able to look at us and say.. If I was on that team, we'd win it all.  But they don't?

It's a vicious circle.  Let me share with you a true story to illustrate what I mean:

I am a great high school football fan and was a friend and neighbor of our local

football coach and they weren't winning very much.  Why?

I teach PE and we have young men here in school who are very good athletes

who could be playing regularly for us on Friday nights.  They would be on the

starting team.  They will not come out and play.  Why?  Because we're not winning

and they really want to play for a winning team if they come out.  Why aren't we

winning?  Because these big, strapping young men will not come out and play.

Why can't we get any super stars to come to Atlanta and play for the Hawks?

Because we don't have any super stars here, that's why.  It's like your dog chasing

his tail.  The goal is right there, always just out of reach.