• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Money Mike $cott! 3-Years/$10 Million

lethalweapon3

Hopefully after that one great quarter he had vs Indy he doesnt think he is Kyle Korver. Scott has a nice mid range game and isnt bad in the post if he works on it some more. Maybe a little higher priced than I thought but still not a crippling deal and can be used easily for a trade filler.

That was a really great line....hahaha

Diplomatical, non confrontational and tactful way of speaking. Kudos! (Somewhere DJ may be raising his middle finger to the post still lol).

It'll be great to keep hearing from other teams' fan: "Who the f@#% is Mike Scott?

I think it was very reasonable, and he'll keep improving with better coaching he'll get. But I'm not thrilled about NBA fans not knowing who our players are... I bet even a die hard would have difficult naming our starting 5, let alone our bench. We've been in the playoffs, how many straight years?? Okay, off my soapbox...

Our whole team is role players. I am so tired of the middle of the road mentality this ownership and this team are in. I love the Hawks, but man I just wish they could do something to be better than a middle of the pack team. Maybe before I die I can actually see this team actually get out of the first 2 rounds....I am 40 so what let's say another 40 years? Maybe at least once.

Paul Millsap is on Team USA and Horford would be too, if not for the injury.  I personally believe that Jeff Teague is the truth and he showed it by destroying George Hill and then pulling Paul George's defense away from the rest of the team.  Korver is our Ray Allen.  If those are role players, then 99% of the league are also "Role Players".  There's a reason we make the playoffs every year and this year we will go beyond the first rd.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Our whole team is role players. I am so tired of the middle of the road mentality this ownership and this team are in. I love the Hawks, but man I just wish they could do something to be better than a middle of the pack team. Maybe before I die I can actually see this team actually get out of the first 2 rounds....I am 40 so what let's say another 40 years? Maybe at least once.

When you accept that this team will never win a title it makes things easier in some ways. I'm almost 40 so I feel your pain. Wasting our cap space on guys like Mike Scott just keep us mired in mediocrity but the groupthink on this board seems to think mediocrity is perfectly acceptable.

Sigh....

Congrats to Mike, but seriously, that's overpriced.  Ferry must be trying to reach the payroll minimum.  

"If he can keep improving that 3, shore up his D...." You know what, you pay someone who's already capable of playing D and hitting threes over $3 mil per, you don't pay someone that and then hope they do it well later.  Not to mention you can easily get by with only having to pay the league minimum or rookie contracts for your 10th/11th/12th guy off the bench.  

I know I'm being a little harsh here, but this contract's biggest benefit to me is by being a throw in for trades to help make salaries match up.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Sigh....

Congrats to Mike, but seriously, that's overpriced.  Ferry must be trying to reach the payroll minimum.  

"If he can keep improving that 3, shore up his D...." You know what, you pay someone who's already capable of playing D and hitting threes over $3 mil per, you don't pay someone that and then hope they do it well later.  Not to mention you can easily get by with only having to pay the league minimum or rookie contracts for your 10th/11th/12th guy off the bench.  

I know I'm being a little harsh here, but this contract's biggest benefit to me is by being a throw in for trades to help make salaries match up.

I would have to see him make a trade first.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Sigh....

Congrats to Mike, but seriously, that's overpriced. Ferry must be trying to reach the payroll minimum.

"If he can keep improving that 3, shore up his D...." You know what, you pay someone who's already capable of playing D and hitting threes over $3 mil per, you don't pay someone that and then hope they do it well later. Not to mention you can easily get by with only having to pay the league minimum or rookie contracts for your 10th/11th/12th guy off the bench.

No reason to overpay to make the minimum payroll. Penalty for failing is paying the difference - ie, no penalty.

The best part of this contract is that year 3 is a team option.

• Like 1

Paul Millsap is on Team USA and Horford would be too, if not for the injury.  I personally believe that Jeff Teague is the truth and he showed it by destroying George Hill and then pulling Paul George's defense away from the rest of the team.  Korver is our Ray Allen.  If those are role players, then 99% of the league are also "Role Players".  There's a reason we make the playoffs every year and this year we will go beyond the first rd.

Cool so we can lose in the second round instead? I am sorry Millsap or Horford are not superstars that can carry a team. They are really good parts that need to be matched with a superstar to elevate their game. They are really solid players. Horford plays for Dominican Republic so he would not be on team USA. Korver is not on the same complete level as Ray Allen, some would call him a poor mans version. If you are okay with making the playoffs every year to lose in the first two rounds then fine, but I am not okay with that. I want more and just hanging your hat on being mediocre is not a way we should be as fans.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Hopefully after that one great quarter he had vs Indy he doesnt think he is Kyle Korver. Scott has a nice mid range game and isnt bad in the post if he works on it some more. Maybe a little higher priced than I thought but still not a crippling deal and can be used easily for a trade filler.

But not until after August 1 next year, right? Isn't that how it works with RFAs... unless you trade them immediately (SnT), you've got to hold on for a year (?).

• Premium Member

Scott improved some areas his game this past season. He lost weight, ran the floor harder in transition, ADDED the 3 pointer to his game this season. His defense still needs work both individual but more so TEAM defense.

His game wasn't really about shooting 3's before last season so he will need to improve there. He has a nice post up turn around jumper but more often than not he hurries too much, slow down.

he'd

His salary probably starts at around $2.75 mil in year 1, $3.25 in year 2, then $4 mil in the 3rd year which is a team option. So if we believe in our player development program and his continued improvement and he puts the work in he'll see the 3 years and it'll be well deserved. If not it's a 2 year deal.

I like Scott, but honestly thought that drafting Payne meant there really shouldn't be any rotation minutes left for Scott. Everything Scott does well, Payne would seem to do a little or a lot better. So, while I agree with pretty much everything said in the post here, I also think that this deal only makes sense if, indeed, Scott somehow is able to make the transition to where most of his minutes are coming at SF. That seems to be asking a lot, but I think if anyone can pull it off, they have to have the kind of mentality/determination that Scott seems to have.

• Like 1

Too many cooks in the kitchen! I've said it before... Payne, Sap, Scott, Horf... I know Bud will adjust, but it's not hard to see all four of them are 4's. We have four poward forwards and three point guards.... I'm not sure

But not until after August 1 next year, right? Isn't that how it works with RFAs... unless you trade them immediately (SnT), you've got to hold on for a year (?).

I don't think that's correct. If we had matched an offer made by another team then he couldn't be traded without his permission for one year.

We outright signed him so that 1 year rule does not apply. (I think lol)

• Moderators

I like Scott, but honestly thought that drafting Payne meant there really shouldn't be any rotation minutes left for Scott. Everything Scott does well, Payne would seem to do a little or a lot better. So, while I agree with pretty much everything said in the post here, I also think that this deal only makes sense if, indeed, Scott somehow is able to make the transition to where most of his minutes are coming at SF. That seems to be asking a lot, but I think if anyone can pull it off, they have to have the kind of mentality/determination that Scott seems to have.

It will be interesting to see the minutes and positions for Payne and Scott. There is definitely some duplication in skill sets off the bench if Payne plays like the stretch 4 he was described by scouts.