• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

The WSB-TV report throws the actions of both Ferry and Levenson into a harsher light. In a letter obtained by the station, minority owner Michael Gearon, Jr. calls on Levenson to discipline Ferry. Here are a few key passages: During the call, which we recorded so that notes could be made for our partners unable to participate live, our GM Danny Ferry discussed player personnel issues at some length. With respect to one potential free agent, a highly-regarded African-American player and humanitarian, Ferry talked about the player’s good points, and then on to describe his negatives, stating that “he has a little African in him. Not in a bad way, but he’s like a guy who would have a nice store out front but sell you counterfeit stuff out the back.” [...] We were appalled that anyone would make such a racist slur under any circumstance, much less the GM of an NBA franchise on a major conference call. One of us can be heard on the tape reacting with astonishment. Our franchise has a long history of racial diversity and inclusion that reflect the makeup of our great city. Ferry's comments were so far out of bounds that we are concerned that he has put the entire franchise in jeopardy. Yahoo! Sports - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.rKYe7gZB.dpuf

As a minority partner with no effective say in decision-making, we were somewhat at a loss what to do next. So we consulted this week with two attorneys, one a very well-known and highly respected former African-American judge in Atlanta, and the other a highly regarded employment discrimination lawyer. They confirmed our fears and then some. The former judge put it pretty succintly, saying that any African-American who heard the comments would interpret them as meaning "all blacks are two-faced liars and cheats." The employment attorney opined that we as a team face significant exposure, possibly in the courts, but certainly in the court of public opinion, and, as we all know, within the league. She described the possible fallout as "devastating." We agree. [...] Yahoo! Sports - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.76CLEWKy.dpuf

I want to hear the tape!!!

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Ferry's response,

"“In regards to the insensitive remarks that were used during our due diligence process, I was repeating comments that were gathered from numerous sources during background conversations and scouting about different players.   I repeated those comments during a telephone conversation reviewing the draft and free agency process.  Those words do not reflect my views, or words that I would use to describe an individual and I certainly regret it. I apologize to those I offended and to Luol, who I reached out to Monday morning.   

In terms of the email that Bruce sent, the situation is disturbing and disappointing on many levels and I understand Bruce's words were offensive.

I am committed to learning from this and deeply regret this situation. I fully understand we have work to do in order to help us create a better organization; one that our players and fans will be proud of, on and off the court, and that is where my focus is moving forward.”

But I think it's too late, public opinion will want him out for this and sadly this is going to happen.

A few thoughts (tin foil hat variety):

1. I'm wondering if Ferry has already been fired, but they told him to do his job till the season starts and all of the additions had been made.  (Recall he's been negotiating with Elton Brand for ex.)  This is not the time of year to have no GM.  (Even if he wasn't fired already, I think he will be soon. )

2. Now, why would Gearon tape the call - maybe this sort of discussion had happened a lot before, so he just wanted to get it on tape to use against Ferry/Levenson. 

3.  Shows how unreliable rumors are.  Remember how we all read Deng was high on the Hawks list of desired FA's - sound like he was not really desired from all this.

4.  I suspect that Levenson made a "plea bargain."  There's probably plenty more dirt and the NBA said you can either leave and we'll stick with this one email or you can have a whole avalanche of them come out we force you anyway.

5.  The whole bunch has to go.  I think they have pretty much managed to offend every possible demographic group, as well as players, media and anyone else who cares.

6.  What rich person in their right mind is going to buy into this mess?  Only someone equally crazy.

Edited by Randy
  • Like 2

A few thoughts:

1.I'm wondering if Ferry has already been fired, but they told him to do his job till the season starts and all of the additions had been made. (Recall he's been negotiating with Elton Brand for ex.) This is not the time of year to have no GM.

That's one thought :-)

But - DF's apology letter was this morning so it doesn't seem so.

I'm very interested to hear what Koonin has to say!

• Premium Member

We give Ferry too much credit. What has he done other than clear up cap space?

He literally gave away a first round pick and Lou Williams for nothing. Or that time he stole Thabo from under the noses of, well, everyone that didn't want a declining over thirty career five point a game player.

Hmm...

• Like 3

Just quoting to give a +1 everybody.  I'm completely out of likes today.  People are making way too much sense and some much needed light is being shed on, for me anyway, a confusing Danny Ferry era.  The missing puzzle piece has shown me the method to their madness.

Hard working, blue collar, high character Atlanta Hoosier basketball for good, wholesome, rich, "pure" basketball fans.  Yeah, but what are you REALLY up to A$G?

They are stone cold BUSTED.

"...and I woulda gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids!"

meddling.png

Gah!   Still out of likes.  Guess we know why certain guys didn't fit the "system".

With the revelations of what ol' Danny boy actually said I'd say they were indeed .... cold ... busted.

When finally reached for comment, Danny said STTE "And I woulda got away with it too if it weren't for you darn Africans!"

The Hawks are an abomination

Edited by Bonkers

• Premium Member

I don't see how Ferry can keep his job. Especially with the Sterling fiasco only recently being settled. Now you have Bruce's email and now this Ferry fiasco.

We just can't catch a damn break as a franchise. I mean this stuff is so surreal. If it can happen, it happens to the Hawks. And only the Hawks. I'm waiting for the team to get bought out by the ghost of General Sherman who decides to burn down the arena and sells the Hawks to Seattle.

Only in Atlanta. Only the Hawks.

This should be our new marketing slogan.

• Like 1

Just want to be 1000% sure with what people here are thinking:

Do you believe Ferry 

A: was reading verbatim from a scouting report 

OR

B: these were his thoughts that he organically said during the call

Based on here and what I'm reading on twitter it seems like more B than A.

I thought A, but the "store front" comments make me think it was more A then off the cuff B.

THANK YOU!!!

Ferry is in no way innocent here and, no, he wasn't just reading a report.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/letter-written-by-michael-gearon-jr-to-bruce-leven/nhJSH/

With respect to one potential free agent, a highly-regarded African-American player and humanitarian, Ferry talked about the player’s good points, and then went on to describe his negatives, stating that “he has a little African in him. Not in a bad way, but he’s like a guy who would have a nice store out front but sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back.” Ferry completed the racial slur by describing the player (and impliedly, all persons of African descent) as a two-faced liar and cheat.

If they keep him they deserve their fate.

ETA: Anyone who thinks this is just about marketing and "Levenson's just a business man trying to make money" ... wake up.

Edited by kg01

Is there anyone who still believes Ferry was reading a scouting report verbatim over that conference call?

The fact that this arrogant buffoon won't resign let's me know he thinks he's fooled us all.