• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Observations: tough loss but

capstone21

• Admin

I loved how we played all the way to the end

Scott earned his PT ... He was awesome and I think I saw him actually play a little d

Korver was unconscious from 3 and 3 blocks

Horford looked rusty but came on at the end ... Played good and got a double double

Teague didn't look to bad but too many turnovers

Sap struggled a lot ... He still was solid rebounding

DMC ... Not much on offense but he gave derozen fits

Bazemore looked great when he first came in and was quickly yanked

Free throw s ... We have to make them ... Would have made a big difference tonight

Huge discrepancy between how many Toronto had compared to us ... We need to attack the basket more

• Premium Member

Not a bad first game. This team will take some time to gel, as we have a lot of new faces on the team including Al Horford who hasn't played in a real game for almost a year.

Loved how Al looked in the second half; encouraging sign that he will be able to shake off the rust sooner rather than later. Teague was ballin' in the fourth quarter and if he had gotten a couple of more calls going into the lane then maybe we actually snatch this one. I think Toronto is gonna finish either third or fourth in the East, so I think considering we were playing against a quality opponent and on their home-opener it was a nice job overall.

• Like 2

Sap was bad.

Al found his groove late.

Too many turnovers and missed free throws.

Failure to box out on crucial rebounds was big (we lost the rebounding battle by 6).

Korver and Scott was on fya.

We picked up our defensive intensity with like 4 minutes left - a little too late.

Bazemore will be good defensively.

We were out hustled.

Teague - leaves me scratching my head sometimes.

We shot 50% from the field on the road.

Too many missed defensive assignments.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Elton should not be on this team. It's pathetic that Payne isn't getting being active over him. Dennis is my most disliked player in the league not named Wade or James.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turnovers like JBH said and I feel Teague got aggressive too late in the game.

Teagues aggressive play late in the 4th allowed us to come back in the game and actually have a shot at winning. Maybe if he had been aggressive in the other 3 quarter we would have won no problem.

I still don't think Toronto is better than the hawks. Horford and sap won't play that bad on a normal basis so I'm not worried...also and I know this shouldn't be said but there were many fouls not called! I thought we were playing the bulls for a while.

The fact that we can all see easily fixable things to get the W makes me feel alright about the season.  I think it's just a matter of shaking off the rust as Dominique said.

The FT makes will come, Horford will improve, the turnovers will cut down, etc.  Playing at such a big opening for a team expected to make noise with such a loud fan base I'm not too upset.

We will see better games and I love the depth.  Our starters only played anywhere between 30-33 minutes so I think this will bode well for the rest of the season.

• Premium Member

Scott should have played more minutes...Mack got too many minutes...Jenkins probably should have gotten some burn.  Was Milsap on drugs tonight??  Horford makes a big difference for this team on defense.  Payne should have gotten at least 8-10 minutes for rebounding/rim protection purposes while Horford was out of the game.  Don't know what to say about the Mack/Schröder back court.  Hopefully we don't see that back court too often.

Scott should have played more minutes...Mack got too many minutes...Jenkins probably should have gotten some burn. Was Milsap on drugs tonight?? Horford makes a big difference for this team on defense. Payne should have gotten at least 8-10 minutes for rebounding/rim protection purposes while Horford was out of the game. Don't know what to say about the Mack/Schröder back court. Hopefully we don't see that back court too often.

lol when bud put in Mack and Dennis I was like...wtf?....and then when I saw them play I was like...wtf?....then when they sat down I was like...ok coach bud just a small little experiment in the beginning of the season, I understand...then when I saw bud put they asses back in the game at the same time I was...wtf?

I hope not to have to many more of these "wtf?" Coach bud!

Hawks shot 59.1 % from down town.

Hawks shot 52.8 % from the free throw line.

Hawks missed 8 free throws - - Lost by 7 points.  You do the math!

As much as I love our three point guards, they were, for the most part, outplayed

Canada had 13 steals.  Wow!  How many points difference did that make?

Also, Hawks had too many unforced turnovers when their passes didn't connect.

We fought to the finish because we ate our spinach like Popeye the sailor man.

Too bad we fell so far behind it made it impossible to catch up.

I would really hate to fall to 0-2, therefore we really, really need a victory in our

home opener.  It's a sell out with standing room only tickets still available and

we know our own Jaybird Hawk is going to be there and give us a full report later!

GO ATLANTA HAWKS!!

• Like 2

From what I understand Payne hasn't picked up his reads on offense. In Coach's O everyone has to read what is going on so they cut, screen and pass correctly. Payne just needs a little more time to get used to working in the offense. I suspect he'll play at home v. The Pacers

• Like 1

I know Turnover and not making free throws were big reason for loss, but for me the most critical was second chances Toronto had. They were getting too many offensive rebounds and at important stages of game. Our front court is small and my fear is tonight's rebounding struggle will be replayed against bigger teams.

Edited by Canopy
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Not a bad first game. This team will take some time to gel, as we have a lot of new faces on the team including Al Horford who hasn't played in a real game for almost a year.

Loved how Al looked in the second half; encouraging sign that he will be able to shake off the rust sooner rather than later. Teague was ballin' in the fourth quarter and if he had gotten a couple of more calls going into the lane then maybe we actually snatch this one. I think Toronto is gonna finish either third or fourth in the East, so I think considering we were playing against a quality opponent and on their home-opener it was a nice job overall.

I got to also applaud the job done by DMC.  He held DeMar to around 12 points.  He stayed in his hip pocket and tortured him all night.   As big a Teague fan as I am, I do recognize that he was going head to head with Lowry.  Ball Hawk supreme.  Teague did well in the 2nd finding his spots.

What did I say about Mike Scott??  He's going to make us make some hard decisions this year.