• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Schröder Era Begins

benhillboy

• Premium Member

Bud played the hot hand, that is all.  Schröder is our backup, and Teague had a bad game.  Simple as that...  Don't get me wrong, I love seeing this out of Schro, but as said before, let's pump the brakes.  It's been two good games for Schro... We'll see how Schröder plays against an actual PG.  Both games he showed out were against the Knicks.  Playing well vs. Shane Larkin and Iman Shumpert is hardly something to get excited about.  I swear, Hawks' fans have short term memory loss and don't look past next week.  Let's not forget that Teague has been good for us so far before tonight.

Actually this is the fifth straight good game for Dennis.

• Like 2

No one notices when other Hawks has these types of game.  Can't understand why Teague is always under the microscope on this message board!

He's the defacto-quarterback of the team.  When your QB is having an off night it tends to be a big deal and problem for your team.

• Like 1

Hopefully we can package JT0 for Greg Monroe and use Millsap for another trade to get us a SG with AS potential. I like Kyle but he's not effective when his shot isn't falling. We need someone we can groom for the future. As for a legit SF, there just aren't many out there. It's like the endangered species position right now in the NBA. 

Dennis started out pretty shaky.  Bud deserves some credit for rolling the dice on Dennis in the 4th, but Jeff made it sort of easy for him to do it.  A little competition might be good for Jeff, and the good news is that if Jeff gets injured or goes into a slump Dennis is there.  As for who's best long term - too early to tell.  

(BTW - this is all in pretty stark contrast to the way Jeff was developed.  Remember he sat on the bench pretty much for 2 years and never made it into a game until injuries made it a necessity in the Chicago series.  Good for the coaching staff for letting the kid show what he can do.)

• Like 2

One thing that really stands out about this game:

WE HAD A LOT OF FREE THROWS AND WE HIT THEM!!

You have heard me, over and over as I cry, "Hit those free throws."

Well, they did and what happened?  Hawks won!

Dennis the Maenace had a big hand in this as he hit them in crunch time.

He played like an all star last night.  Isn't it great to have more than one

very good point guard!

GO HAWKS!!

• Like 1

Smh.. Come on Benhillboy, you have good basketball sense. Let's not throw it out of the window bro.

I'm not a Teague detractor (nor fan) or see this is a start to his end or anything hasty. I just think it's a big deal for a backup PG to log more minutes than a veteran starter and finish the game over him, how often does that happen? It doesn't matter what we think, we all know Dennis is Ferry and Bud's guy while Jeff's future here was partially in the hands of the Bucks.

Jeff has earned his spot of course and is overall the better player right now, but Dennis' notable strengths of probing and defensive tenacity are more valuable than Jeff's main calling card of quickness off the dribble. I wouldn't read too much into assist totals for individuals in this offense. If Dennis is turning the ball over, he has excellent man D to fall back on to help the team. If Teague is having one of his poor focus games, he's no use on either end. The team is making strides defensively each time out which is more important to me since the offense is fully installed, not a coincidence with Dennis' extended minutes.

I didn't make some crazy Diesel proclamation. Just saying 6 years down the line when and if Dennis is still here as an All-Defense/ All-Star caliber PG, this game will be a landmark. Do you think he could sleep tonight with all the calls and texts he got from around the world about his performance in the Mecca?

Edited by benhillboy

The thing about Dennis is the defense and the pace.   Jeff is a liability on defense and even though he is quick he plays slow as hell.  Dennis is a badger on defense, fighting through screens and disrupting passing lanes.  On offense he brings a flare and energy that seems to make the team play faster.  

The thing about Dennis is the defense and the pace.   Jeff is a liability on defense and even though he is quick he plays slow as hell.  Dennis is a badger on defense, fighting through screens and disrupting passing lanes.  On offense he brings a flare and energy that seems to make the team play faster.  

Jeff is NOT a liability on either end of the floor but at times he can struggle. Especially defending the PnR and fighting through screens.

• Moderators

Dennis started out pretty shaky.  Bud deserves some credit for rolling the dice on Dennis in the 4th, but Jeff made it sort of easy for him to do it.  A little competition might be good for Jeff, and the good news is that if Jeff gets injured or goes into a slump Dennis is there.  As for who's best long term - too early to tell.  

(BTW - this is all in pretty stark contrast to the way Jeff was developed.  Remember he sat on the bench pretty much for 2 years and never made it into a game until injuries made it a necessity in the Chicago series.  Good for the coaching staff for letting the kid show what he can do.)

I agree.  The competition will be a great thing and if that doesn't motivate one of them then you probably don't want that guy in pressure situations anyway.   

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.  Schröder was having a good game so Bud kept him in.  This is how you develop players.  Give them the play time they've earned and build their confidence.

By the way, I love how Dennish keeps his cool.  Even when Shumpert was barking in his ear he just calmly walked down the court and didn't say a word.  That probably pissed Shumpert off more than if Dennis had reacted.

Edited by ATLSmith
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.  Schröder was having a good game so Bud kept him in.  This is how you develop players.  Give them the play time they've earned and build their confidence.

By the way, I love how Dennish keeps his cool.  Even when Shumpert was barking in his ear he just calmly walked down the court and didn't say a word.  That probably pissed Shumpert off more than if Dennis had reacted.

missed the game.  wish i could find a video of that.