• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

(...)

Wretch

Y'know...it figures, for 30 years I have been such a positive and devoted fan. I have argued people down, been laughed out of so many conversations, and stayed true through it all...

LOL, and the one year that I give up on my team (and yes people, I gave up)... The one year I give up, they decide to be badass. I always believed that if you could get a bunch of REALLY good players together, that you could contend. I just didn't believe that this particular collection of players could do it. Boy was I wrong. I still can't shake the fear of the playoffs, but it's time for me to give this team it's due.

GOOD JOB DANNY FERRY. We are the Spurs-East and I totally see it now. Can't wait for the post season...omg. Can't believe this is happening right now.

I'm not even sure most of the players believe it yet, let alone anyone outside Phillips. Bud, Danny, and Kyle are probably the only ones who've been in a closed office and envisioned this type of consistency, hard work, and steady improvemet. Edited by benhillboy

Y'know...it figures, for 30 years I have been such a positive and devoted fan.  I have argued people down, been laughed out of so many conversations, and stayed true through it all...

LOL, and the one year that I give up on my team (and yes people, I gave up)...  The one year I give up, they decide to be badass.  I always believed that if you could get a bunch of REALLY good players together, that you could contend.  I just didn't believe that this particular collection of players could do it.  Boy was I wrong.  I still can't shake the fear of the playoffs, but it's time for me to give this team it's due.  

GOOD JOB DANNY FERRY.  We are the Spurs-East and I totally see it now.  Can't wait for the post season...omg.  Can't believe this is happening right now.

So what you're saying is .... all this time ... it's been your fault.  blum2.gif

• Premium Member

So what you're saying is .... all this time ... it's been your fault.  blum2.gif

...and that ain't even funny!  I have questioned my sports-mojo for many years.  lol  Last year, everyone was all excited about the BKN pick.  I tried not to, because I know what happens.  All of a sudden, Lopez goes down, and I start getting excited.  We had like...the 4th pick the draft and then BAM.  Brooklyn gets their shit together.  :(

Seriously though.  I'm still in disbelief...and honestly, at this point it doesn't matter what side of the argument anybody was on.  We just manhandled the 2nd best team in the league...and we are the THIRD best.  We are HANDLING .500 and above, hammering the BEST in the West, and we are also a measly two games behind the BEST team in the league.

What in the ACTUAL f*** man!?  We...the Atlanta Hawks...could be playing in the ECF's...or God forbid...the Finals?  We have a legit shot at the Finals?  Are you kidding me right now?  I can't even process this shit...  I don't care how much crow I have to eat.  This is an epic moment in the making for true Hawks fans and I can't waste it being a hater.

• Like 3

Y'know...it figures, for 30 years I have been such a positive and devoted fan.  I have argued people down, been laughed out of so many conversations, and stayed true through it all...

LOL, and the one year that I give up on my team (and yes people, I gave up)...  The one year I give up, they decide to be badass.  I always believed that if you could get a bunch of REALLY good players together, that you could contend.  I just didn't believe that this particular collection of players could do it.  Boy was I wrong.  I still can't shake the fear of the playoffs, but it's time for me to give this team it's due.  

GOOD JOB DANNY FERRY.  We are the Spurs-East and I totally see it now.  Can't wait for the post season...omg.  Can't believe this is happening right now.

It's always a tendancy to want to place things neatly in a category. And you're partially correct. But what we're witnessing is something new entirely, "hybrids" really. The team-of-nobodys vs the superstar model has been debated to death. Ferry/Bud haven't just assembled a team of nobodys playing amazing team ball. They've broken the superstar mold, but with 4 STARS instead of 1 SUPERstar (with 1 star sidekick). Does the system make Horf/Sap/Korver/Teague stars? Sure it does. And Hawks are not just Spurs East. They are a hybrid of Pop's offense and Thib's D. Not precise copies of those specific systems, but a hybrid concept of both. The team concept and Spurs East is a base point, but Ferry/Bud have built something entirely new here.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 3

It's always a tendancy to want to place things neatly in a category. And you're partially correct. But what we're witnessing is something new entirely, "hybrids" really. The team-of-nobodys vs the superstar model has been debated to death. Ferry/Bud haven't just assembled a team of nobodys playing amazing team ball. They've broken the superstar mold, but with 4 STARS instead of 1 SUPERstar (with 1 star sidekick). Does the system make Horf/Sap/Korver/Teague stars? Sure it does. And Hawks are not just Spurs East. They are a hybrid of Pop's offense and Thib's D. The team concept and Spurs East is a base point, but Ferry/Bud have built something entirely new here.

Hate I forgot who, but a poster drew the championship Bulls comparison, but there are some clear Thibideau ideals in there, too. Someone on 92.9 (a lot of those guys have similar voices, names) mentioned a return to old-school Eastern Conference Defensive Style with this team. Who knew the Hawks would be the Big Brother who stands up for our bullied Conference in present day while paying tribute to the late 80's and 90's?

Bud is probably a walking basketball almanac, being able to pull from all types of eras and styles to enhance "our group". I see the mid-2000's Spurs a lot, maybe some Adleman Kings in there somewhere.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

It's always a tendancy to want to place things neatly in a category. And you're partially correct. But what we're witnessing is something new entirely, "hybrids" really. The team-of-nobodys vs the superstar model has been debated to death. Ferry/Bud haven't just assembled a team of nobodys playing amazing team ball. They've broken the superstar mold, but with 4 STARS instead of 1 SUPERstar (with 1 star sidekick). Does the system make Horf/Sap/Korver/Teague stars? Sure it does. And Hawks are not just Spurs East. They are a hybrid of Pop's offense and Thib's D. Not precise copies of those specific systems, but a hybrid concept of both. The team concept and Spurs East is a base point, but Ferry/Bud have built something entirely new here.

Ehh...I partially agree.  I wouldn't exactly say it's new.  I don't think you can call fundamental/throwback basketball a "new" thing.  It's a break from the "build around a superstar" methodology for sure, but it's not new.  It's the same thing Joe Dumars did when he built a contender.  Similarly, the way both teams play masks how good each of their individual players are.

And I have beat this horse into oblivion, but people get WAY too caught up in the label of star/superstar etc.  That's such a useless conversation...  You just need good players and a good coach.  Does you no good to have a great "superstar" player and a sub-par team and it does no good to have a sub-par team and not have at least ONE guy that can hit big shots.  And you still need defense, you need to take care of the ball, and you need offensive execution.  People get so lost in that conversation though, that all they hear is "superstar" this and "superstar" that.  Fortunately for us, we have a complete team...Horford, Millsap, Teague, and Korver are VERY GOOD and through Bud, the sum is greater than it's parts.

No, we are not exactly the San Antonio Spurs.  Each contender is it's own animal and is impossible to carbon copy.  However, to suggest that we didn't execute their modus operandi to do this is completely absurd.  It contradicts what opponents say, what Ferry himself said when we hired him, how we operate on and off the court, and a HUGE reason for our success - the 16-season Popovich understudy, the very prodigy of the Spurs' hall of fame coach, Mike Budenholzer.  I get that we want to have our own identity, and we do...of course we're our own team.  However let's not pretend that we didn't take a successful blueprint and build from it.

Edited by Wretch

We're essentially saying the same thing. I did say "The team concept and Spurs East is a base point". And I 10-fold agree with the superstar stuff. As for Horf/Sap/Korv/Teague, you say VERY GOOD and I say Stars. E-ther, I-ther. This is different than Joe Dumars teams, and the return to fundamentals is awesome to see and very productive, nothing new there. The hyrbrid I'm speaking of is a Pop-meets-Thibs 2-headed monster.

• Like 2

Knock on wood. I'm enjoying the ride. Being a fan as long as you, there's always something that fuks it all up... I hope not, cuz it's fun ...