• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Brand: The Atlanta Hawks fly under the radar

HawkItus

• Moderators

Funny the writer pointed this out.  F U Atlanta media.

Yeah.  What a joke.   Great article though.   These are some damn good players we have here.   The real genius of the team we have is that you have talented, selfless players who are in their prime.   Often to get those types of guys they are on their last legs.   

• Like 3

• Moderators

In his 17th season now, Brand has a counterintuitive theory for the Hawks’ success -- namely, that it’s the absence of superstars that makes the enterprise work in Atlanta, which is now 26-8. 

“Not to dump on any specific team, but when you play against a superstar, you know exactly where the ball is going,” Brand said. “Certain guys are going to get the ball at certain times at certain spots. They're running their sets.” 

It’s not as if the Hawks don’t have a well-formed foundation -- just about every player in the league who has read a scouting report has been versed in the choreography of the Spurs-style motion deployed by Atlanta, but the system is predicated on intelligent players making intelligent decisions based largely on the behavior of the defense. So when opponents show out Kyle Korver as he comes off a pin-down, Korver can dish the ball to Horford or Pero Antić, who after pinning Korver’s guy has slipped to the basket. 

This works on the other end of the floor too, where the Hawks have climbed from the bottom half of the league to No. 6 overall in defensive efficiency. Though it’s not an extraordinarily gifted group of individual defenders, the Hawks are versatile and, more than that, heady. They've made a habit of switching up coverages multiple times per night, as they did in their win over Portland on Saturday, keeping the Trail Blazers off balance. Sounds obvious, but asking a team to master multiple coverages for a single matchup is a difficult proposition … unless the team has the collective smarts and trust to make guerrilla warfare its overriding strategy. 

Absent a dynamic creator, the Hawks are banking on their intelligence to carry them out of the Eastern Conference, which they currently lead by 1½ games.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/71683/the-atlanta-hawks-fly-under-the-radar

• Like 4

• Moderators

That is one aspect I like about this team. We are very unpredictable on the offensive end because defenses never know where the ball is going, but that unpredictability also worries me. Who is going to show out each night? Who is going to get us those clutch baskets when we need them most? Are we going to continue relying on big leads to save us late in games? Where does the ball go if we find ourselves down 4 with 1:30 remaining?

Maybe it's just the fear of the unknown for me and being brainwashed all these years by Kobe winning titles and "Big 3" formations. And if no one shows out in a game, then losing to the Bucks by 30 happens. We may not need a scoring-champion superstar on the team, but a DeRozan-type scorer would be a plus. Teague has shown flashes of what having a guy that just takes over a game is like. Getting Marc Gasol with his passing, shooting, and defensive ability would be huge too.

I also worry about fatigue and injury. We are playing playoff basketball in January and if one of our starters goes down, it could be an end-all. We've been very lucky that our guys have stayed relatively healthy.

One more thing is the NBA is a copycat league. Teams get a whiff of what Bud is cooking, they liable tforming copycat teams mimicking what he has done. Yes, Bud is a spawn of Gregg Pop, but he has added other things that Pop doesn't do.

• Premium Member

There is truth to what Brand said. I'd still like to see a guy who can create on the team, but the Hawks are legit without that. Everyone on this team is so unselfish that the opposing team can't key in on one guy without someone else going off. I feel confident in saying that this Hawks team will make it to the ECF and beyond. I can't think of one team in the East that can beat them in seven games. These guys play the same way whether they are at home or on the road which will be key during the Playoffs.

That is one aspect I like about this team. We are very unpredictable on the offensive end because defenses never know where the ball is going, but that unpredictability also worries me. Who is going to show out each night? Who is going to get us those clutch baskets when we need them most? Are we going to continue relying on big leads to save us late in games? Where does the ball go if we find ourselves down 4 with 1:30 remaining?

Maybe it's just the fear of the unknown for me and being brainwashed all these years by Kobe winning titles and "Big 3" formations. And if no one shows out in a game, then losing to the Bucks by 30 happens. We may not need a scoring-champion superstar on the team, but a DeRozan-type scorer would be a plus. Teague has shown flashes of what having a guy that just takes over a game is like. Getting Marc Gasol with his passing, shooting, and defensive ability would be huge too.

I also worry about fatigue and injury. We are playing playoff basketball in January and if one of our starters goes down, it could be an end-all. We've been very lucky that our guys have stayed relatively healthy.

One more thing is the NBA is a copycat league. Teams get a whiff of what Bud is cooking, they liable tforming copycat teams mimicking what he has done. Yes, Bud is a spawn of Gregg Pop, but he has added other things that Pop doesn't do.

I have a similar take; however, Teague seems to be the "shot" guy late in games or during difficult times. To his massive credit, Jeff has started to show he can shoulder that burden.

The 30 point losses are going to happen. Every team has those sorts of hic-ups; even the great Jordan-lead Bulls teams have  those nights on occasions. The issue is how often they happen and what do you do the next game. So far the Hawks have shown the occasional blow-out actually motivates the team to get better.

At this point, given the chemestry of the team, I would be very concerned about a trade to bring in a big-time scorer. I still wouldn't mind a big-time rebounder though :)

There is truth to what Brand said. I'd still like to see a guy who can create on the team, but the Hawks are legit without that. Everyone on this team is so unselfish that the opposing team can't key in on one guy without someone else going off. I feel confident in saying that this Hawks team will make it to the ECF and beyond. I can't think of one team in the East that can beat them in seven games. These guys play the same way whether they are at home or on the road which will be key during the Playoffs.

Teague is that guy! For some reason some folks just refuse to see the guy for what he is , a freaking nightmare for any team in the 4th quarter!

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Teague is that guy! For some reason some folks just refuse to see the guy for what he is , a freaking nightmare for any team in the 4th quarter!

They don't want to see it!  Crow taste worse than it looks!

Edited by Peoriabird
  • Like 1

• Moderators

At this point, given the chemestry of the team, I would be very concerned about a trade to bring in a big-time scorer. I still wouldn't mind a big-time rebounder though smile3.gif

The Bad Boy era Pistons were worried about this too when they traded Adreian Dantley for Mark Aguirre. The fans and media were worried that the Pistons messed with the chemistry of the team... but they went on to win the title that year. A trade would not necessarily ruin these Hawks. I mean I'm not saying trade Teague, Sap, Korver, or Horford, but let's say Mike Scott + Shelvin Mack + Sefolosha for a starting small forward or center would not tear this team apart... as long as he fits.

You're playing with fire @kg01 ....see you next month? :-|

Why?  You get locked up again?  There's been some nasty rumors floating around the game chat.

Kinda nice around the board with the squad in 1st place, huh?  Hasn't been a doomsday thread in like a whole month.

Why? You get locked up again? There's been some nasty rumors floating around the game chat.

Kinda nice around the board with the squad in 1st place, huh? Hasn't been a doomsday thread in like a whole month.

No I was referring to you getting locked up lol...