• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are we peaking too soon?

HawkItus

• Premium Member

I don't believe in the concept "peaking too early" in sports. Winning teams usually just win a lot of games all season long. Sure, you have your hot streaks and losing streaks, but that is a part of the 82 game grind.

We might cool off at some point and have a 5-5 stretch but that doesn't mean we hit our peak in December. It probably means we were maybe more focused and physically capable in December. Come playoff time we will turn it up (if it ever turned off) and play Hawks basketball.

• Like 4

Why the heck didn't the Cavs just get Dalembert from NY also?  That seems like the most logical solution.  Paint and rim defense.  Solves that problem.  Doesn't solve the problem that LeBron's best minutes are at the 4 and so are Love's.  

Because Dalembert has been referred to as a drain on the locker room this year, and that is the LAST thing that the Cavs need. Plus, I believe that the Knicks had to release Dalembert before they traded JR and SHUMP so that they could take back the contracts that they did (so they can release them). It is obvious Dalembert wasn't the Cavs target, and I don't blame them. He is on the super-decline and has never been referred to as a good teammate as far as I know.

Even more, Mozgov and Blatt have a past with each other. That could be HUGE on a team where nobody has really bought into the coach's system yet.

Yeah, that is actually a great move for Cleveland I believe. Mozgov was the best big man on the market to be moved, and they did what they had to do to get it done. I may be higher on Mozgov than most, but they needed a big, and I think they got the only available one who could actually make a difference for them.

I don't think you can criticize that move much-- if at all.

@Colin I don't want to say that you've got a thing for big lumbering Euro white men but... 

• Like 1

The Cav's move is inconsequential once you recognize that they spent the previous 4 years collecting more 1st rounders than Philly has 2nd rounders, they can spare a few.

As for the Hawks, Al is still iffy, Dennis is still working out kinks and Payne is being groomed.  Bud also isn't running the team like Thibs in Chicago where he's playing guys 40 minutes just to get a win in January (True story, down 25 in the 4th against Utah with 5 minutes left in the game is when Thibs decided to take out Rose and Gasol only to bring in the league leader in minutes Jimmy Butler).  The team is fully utilizing it's depth so we shouldn't fear breakdowns from guys due to fatigue which is usually what plagues teams that "peak" early.

• Like 2

The Cav's move is inconsequential once you recognize that they spent the previous 4 years collecting more 1st rounders than Philly has 2nd rounders, they can spare a few.

As for the Hawks, Al is still iffy, Dennis is still working out kinks and Payne is being groomed.  Bud also isn't running the team like Thibs in Chicago where he's playing guys 40 minutes just to get a win in January (True story, down 25 in the 4th against Utah with 5 minutes left in the game is when Thibs decided to take out Rose and Gasol only to bring in the league leader in minutes Jimmy Butler).  The team is fully utilizing it's depth so we shouldn't fear breakdowns from guys due to fatigue which is usually what plagues teams that "peak" early.

That's true on the Cavs, they didn't trade their own pick in the Moz deal.  A Memphis pick and a OKC pick they just got in Waiter's deal.

Thibs is crazy - the Bulls will have tired legs and/or injuries come playoff time!!! Better for us.

As some have said Al can get better(hopefully). I would love to have Jeff Green and Gorgui Dieng but I doubt if they are coming at thrift shop prices and I am not willing to pay a premium.

I don't think we have peaked. I think Teague can up his game in the playoffs and so can Sap.

Edited by MrMeltdown

no we have not peaked. Bud has the team playing on a high level. This is a level the team needs to stay at. I like that we are in 1st place early and i want teams to mark us on their calendar, it will just get the team ready for the playoffs. I would like to finish top and have homecourt throughout the playoffs though. That would be epic and Brooklyn in the lottery would be icing on the cake.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Exceptional teams don't peak. They have occasional losses.

Right now, it's hard to think we're getting every team's best shot... later in the season, if we keep this up, we will. That will define how serious a contender we are for the finals.

Also, still can't help but feel like we're going to need to have a shot in the arm from one of those guys at the end of the bench or who is in D-league before it's all said and done.

• Premium Member

Golden state must be peaking too...another dumb Atlanta fan thread!  Y'all ain't use to winning are you?   One of them there Jordan Bulls teams lost 10 games the entire season.  Darn near swept everyone in the playoffs too!  They must have peaked to early too because they only won 2 more championships after that.  

cosby-shaking-head.gif?w=595

Exceptional teams don't peak. They have occasional losses.

Right now, it's hard to think we're getting every team's best shot... later in the season, if we keep this up, we will. That will define how serious a contender we are for the finals.

Also, still can't help but feel like we're going to need to have a shot in the arm from one of those guys at the end of the bench or who is in D-league before it's all said and done.

I would say that the Bucks and Magic gave the Hawks their best shot.

There has been some luck... Such few injuries and the Hawks played Chicago when they were missing Noah, Cavs without Lebron, the Blazers were missing Lopez and Memphis was missing Randolph.

But it's been a great stretch. A combo of great play and some luck.

• Premium Member
But it's been a great stretch. A combo of great play and some luck.

Luck?  Y'all just don't quit do you?  Self hate is tough to over come I see.  Stop making excuses for this team's success and enjoy it for a change!  You are what your record is period!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Hot, it's just my perception that we're not highly regarded enough yet for anyone to actually circle us on their calendar, Bucks, Magic included... that only comes after some extended time at the top of the conference.

• Premium Member

Luck? Y'all just don't quit do you? Self hate is tough to over come I see. Stop making excuses for this team's success and enjoy it for a change! You are what your record is period!

^this. I remember past Hawks teams in recent seasons would seriously struggle when a team has a key player out. End up losing those types of games. This team is focused and does NOT have let downs hardly at all! Even when down big early,surrendering a big lead lately, this team FIGHTS and pulls it out. Learn to enjoy success! Injuries are down because we employ a lot of depth and Bud does a great job regulating players minutes.

Golden state must be peaking too...another dumb Atlanta fan thread!  Y'all ain't use to winning are you?   One of them there Jordan Bulls teams lost 10 games the entire season.  Darn near swept everyone in the playoffs too!  They must have peaked to early too because they only won 2 more championships after that.  

cosby-shaking-head.gif?w=595

Dumb Atlanta fan thread?  No dumb is someone saying we should replace our starter DMC for Thabo before the season started.  That is dumb.  This is just a question and if you haven't notice GW may have peaked to early.  They aren't winning at nearly the clip they were before..  Ease off the elitist "I'm the smart guy" talk.  We are all fans here and can agree to disagree without insulting the other.