• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: My God, My God, The Hawks Are A $%#$## Juggernaut (Deadspin Love)

BackForThe2ndTime

Radio story:

Jamie Dukes (yes he's a turd) of 92.9 The Game said he had ran into Sam Cassell in LAL over the weekend so they started talking Hawks, Cassell said Paul Pierce called him before the Wizard game asking about his thoughts on the Hawks. Cassell said they are legit especially defensively, they attack the ball on defense.

"Defending the Hawks is as much a test of mental and psychological endurance as it is a physical challenge. Can defenders summon the energy and focus and commitment and sheer will to A) help contain the ball-handler, then B) anticipate the ball movement, then C) run like hell to close out on a shooter, then D) recover, rotate, and run like hell toward another shooter, all at a dead sprint, all the time, for 48 minutes, when there are shooters everywhere and it never works and after the first five minutes it starts to seem like nothing so much as trying to build a sandcastle in the actual ocean itself,"

I love this....

• Like 2

The Million Dollar Question: How long before teams start copying us ?

Easier said than done. You have to get the ENTIRE team to buy in. In the words of Gregg Popovich:

We get guys who want to do their job and go home and aren't impressed with the hoopla. One of the keys is to bring in guys who have gotten over themselves. They either want to prove that they can play in this league or they want to prove nothing. They fill their role and know the pecking order. We have three guys who are the best players, and everyone else fits around them.

Philly, Orlando and I think Charlotte all have coaches who coached under Pop, granted not as long as Bud. Those offenses look nothing like ours.

Additionally, our defense deserves as much pub as the offense. The same way we move the ball on offense, players move to attack the ball on defense.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Easier said than done. You have to get the ENTIRE team to buy in. In the words of Gregg Popovich:

We get guys who want to do their job and go home and aren't impressed with the hoopla. One of the keys is to bring in guys who have gotten over themselves. They either want to prove that they can play in this league or they want to prove nothing. They fill their role and know the pecking order. We have three guys who are the best players, and everyone else fits around them.

Philly, Orlando and I think Charlotte all have coaches who coached under Pop, granted not as long as Bud. Those offenses look nothing like ours.

Additionally, our defense deserves as much pub as the offense. The same way we move the ball on offense, players move to attack the ball on defense.

You probably were thinking New Orleans, common mistake.

But yeah, none of those guys are notable, Jaque is good IMO, he beat us and may have some clue as to best defend the offense. Bud seems to have been virtually Pop's equal in installing styles of play on the offensive end.

On a side note, we get sort of a compliment from the notorious Celtics announcing crew. The lead guy says "this isn't Dominique's Hawks". F&@ks that supposed to mean buddy? Then Tommy, a couple years late, says "Korver has turned into a fabulous player". Break up the Hawks.

Edited by benhillboy

Is my memory right/ Was Deadspin was the one that trashed the Hawks after we lost to the Lakesters?

If so, I hope they enjoyed eating their words.  Their comments on Kyle are interesting.  When he played for other teams, I always knew he was a good shooter, but was never really worried about him changing the outcome of a game.  He sure does that a lot since he has become a Hawk.

lol awesome read.  Loved the Korver vids as well. 

I'm new here, long time Hawks fan and browser.  Figured I'd say what's up.  I'm 23. I try and watch around 80% of the Hawks games every season when I can.  Ready for tonights against Philly

Welcome aboard! Glad you decided to create an account. And just to get you started on people giving you a hard time, you're the one who broke our server by forcing us to be too large! j/k welcome