• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What were we missing in 2013-2014?

txsting

I'm trying to understand what we are doing this year....it's bonkers to me.  The best I can figure is that a healthy Al is the single biggest factor in our improvement.  Early on, first 15 games or so, Al was not right, and it really looked like a continuation of last year.  Then Al started to come around, and I really think he has just now hit his stride over the last two weeks.  Coincidentally, we have went on a tear.

Other possibilities:
1) More time and comfort in Bud's system

2) Career years from Teague and Korver (though I'd argue they were already pretty good)

3) Solidification of second unit; development of Dennis, addition of Thabo; etc...

4) No significant injuries

Really, the answer is probably a combination of all the above.  What is your best theory on the reason for the Hawks to come out of nowhere to contend for a title in 2014?

Defense health and depth.

We were 1-8 in games without Demarre and 1-10 in games without Kyle.  I believe we were 2-6 or 2-7 in games without Millsap.

Just go look at the games that we played in December with Al last year.  Our offense was elite.  The problem was our defense was bad. 

Our injuries were far greater than just Al last season as well.  We played well when we had a starting five of Teague/Korver/Carroll/Millsap/Antić.  We finished the year on a 10-2 run when those 5 started and 5-1 against playoff teams.  We then took a good Indiana team to 7 games. 

inb4 people come in with their nonsense about the Indy series only being close because Indiana forgot how to play and then suddenly remembered how to play in their next series vs Washington.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 2

Ummm...we also had Korver, DeMarre, Millsap, and Pero out for extended times last year.

We were 1-8 in games without Demarre and 1-10 in games without Kyle.  I believe we were 2-6 or 2-7 in games without Millsap.

Just go look at the games that we played in December with Al last year.  Our offense was elite.  The problem was our defense was bad. 

Our injuries were far greater than just Al last season as well.  We played well when we had a starting five of Teague/Korver/Carroll/Millsap/Antić.  We finished the year on a 10-2 run when those 5 started and 5-1 against playoff teams.  We then took a good Indiana team to 7 games. 

inb4 people come in with their nonsense about the Indy series only being close because Indiana forgot how to play and then suddenly remembered how to play in their next series vs Washington.

I was going to go a different route, but I have to agree 100% with this and you backed it up with the stats to support your evidence. GREAT points.

Ummm...we also had Korver, DeMarre, Millsap, and Pero out for extended times last year.

That is why I wanted to add Tay Prince to the depth squad. There is no telling when injury happens and we could use his skillset that mirrors our players TO A T!!

• Premium Member

Beyond the team's health, the numbers seem to bear out that Teague has absolutely ratcheted up his whole game a notch over last year just as we'd all been waiting to see all this time... and too, it seems that within those first 2-3 weeks of the season, some other unknown began clicking that ratcheted up this roster's defensive performance... perhaps that could be attributed to Sefolosha and Bazemore settling in and becoming a regular presence on the perimeter(?)... I dunno tho... seems everyone is playing better defensively.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Defense first of all.  In recent years, we've been mediocre defensively.  This year, these dudes are SWARMING on D.  Which really makes me happy.  I love teams and players that play good defense.

Secondly, guys are hitting shots.  A good example is that Chicago game.  When the Bulls made a run and hit big baskets, we responded.  That's what we have been missing for a LONG, LONG, LONG time.  Not just last season.  Most of us wrote that off as not having a finisher/star...but Teague is really delivering.  Team ball is great and obviously that's what's killing teams, but it's so critical to have the ability to ANSWER when a team goes on a run.  As we've seen, even in these games we've won, teams storm back...and them BOOM, we hit them with a key basket to stop a run.  So important to have that.

Overall though, it's chemistry.  How many times have you seen a team add/subtract a guy or two and all of a sudden they look like a different animal (case in point Detroit after shipping off Josh).  There is a synergy between these guys and Bud's system.

It starts with Teague being able to step up like he has.  He and Millsap play well off each other, but you throw Al in there who is surgical from mid-range and FINALLY taking it to the basket.  That's enough to compete with any team, but then you've got Korver who is just not human.

That guy.........................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-0Bwjr3vA

Then you throw in Bud's system, our unselfishness, the professionalism that they play with...and just the way the team is built.  It helps to have everyone healthy, but it's all just clicking now.  

That being said....my God, I am so sorry Danny Ferry!  I didn't see it man.  I was just so focused on our past and the league's cookie-cutter building methodology that I couldn't wrap my mind around what he was actually doing.  Dude has done something incredible.  We have a coach and a team that is FOR REAL!

That being said....my God, I am so sorry Danny Ferry! I didn't see it man. I was just so focused on our past and the league's cookie-cutter building methodology that I couldn't wrap my mind around what he was actually doing. Dude has done something incredible. We have a coach and a team that is FOR REAL!

Can't like this enough!!! Glad many of us were wrong along the way!!!

Go Hawks!

I agree. Antić is an underrated player. He does his role well but he's no Al Horford. Hawks don't have another center who's a match up problem like he is, quick, threat from the mid range and solid defender, literally can mirror Millsap's play while playing alongside him.

Yeah Hawks substituted offense from defense, making the move getting rid of Lou and bringing in Thabo so the Hawks can always have an elite defender on the floor throughout the game which they didn't have last season. 

It's the defense which means Al Horford is the most important piece. Our defense doesn't work without Al Horford's ability to play the perimeter. This is why we are able to push other teams average shot back a whole foot, and minimize shots around the basket.