• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Nets GAME 3 (3 PM Eastern Tip!)

lethalweapon3

Thank you Mikwaukee. I wouldn't be able to stand all the media bashing of us while they proclaim the Bulls waltzing to the Finals. Kidd is a genius, Rose will be a goat for a few days for those back to back horrid plays.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

Well, Gee!  Sleepwalk to open the game.  Fight our way back until we have a 4 point lead.

Then, spanning the 3rd and 4th quarters, Hawks give up 18 unanswered points and we

thought we could do this and win?

Hawks only shot 17 free throws and managed to miss 4 of those.  Shot, and missed, time

after time, from beyond the arch, finally hitting 6 of 30.

Call that a lay up or a bunny or whatever you wish, Atlanta managed not to make them

in bunches.  Korver couldn't hit from outside and neither of our point guards could hit

their shot from inside.

Moose, JJ and the kid are all nailed to the bench and couldn't get in at all despite what

all the others were not doing. 

Just think, if the Hawks could manage to win the next two their 5th game will at Atlanta!

Nice to save that for the home folks!

GO TEAL ATL!

Hawks looked way out of rhythm - anyone going to mention the afternoon start time? I think that might be a significant contributor.. NBA players are creatures of habit and the Hawks are NOT used to preparing for an afternoon game, much less on the road.

This was the third afternoon game of the season - first was the underwhelming win against the Pistons on MLK day, and the second was the whooping the Spurs gave us at home.

I fully expect the Hawks to look much better Monday night on a more standard cadence of just one days rest (plus with no travel). 

• Like 2

Even with challanged shots we wont shot that bad often. Jumpshoting teams will have such nights. But they wont happen regulary. We will see cold players maybe every night but since wie dont rely on a superstar somebody else will step up.

So did DMC last night after a very bad shooting performance the game before.

Dennis had a very bad offensive performance but he held Jack down to no field goal. Then Teague comes in and Jack gets a wide open 3 and hits it...

We have seen this numerous times. Its plain and simple. We are a jumpshooting team that needs some interior balance when the shots are not falling. Im gonna say it over and over, WHY didnt coach bud put Moose in the game? He wouldnt have stopped Lopez, but at the same time, he wouldve made lopez work harder on defense and enabled the Hawks to slide Horford over to the 4 so he could do damage, slide Millsap over to the 3 and the hot shooting Carroll slide over to the 2 and bench Korver. 

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 1

This was the first time all year where I'd seriously question Bud's subs. They were funky all game. I can't understand why we haven't seen Moose when their rookie Bogdonavic was killing us. Benching Korver has helped us late in a few games during the regular season. When he's being bottled up AND exposed defensively it's a killer.

The poor play is especially troubling when we actually have Pero playing well in the playoffs (+14 total). Beside DeMarre (+31), there haven't been many bright spots.

I would say I'm disappointed in Teague, but that would mean I'd be surprised he hasn't been better, and I'm not. Hollins has been as good as Bud, while Lopez has been the best player in the series by far with Jack not far behind. When Al isn't knocking down that jumper we're at a big disadvantage. I'm slightly worried, still optimistic. We turned their crowd on them after our 11-0 run, only to allow a fu@&kin 18-0 run immediately afterward? Who does that?

Again, give the Nets a little credit. Their using their size advantage very well, attacking our weakest defenders, and moving the ball better than they have all season. That one play where Jack made faking the three to get his man in the air, passed out and cut to the basket, received the ball at the hole, drew Lopez's man, then dished to him for an easy dunk. It was a clinic in angles, I couldn't be mad at all. It was a turning point in the game along with Bogdanovic coming out hot.

It's so weird having other teams force our timeouts, sometimes two in a row, that's supposed to be our M.O.

Edited by benhillboy

Very quirky game. I left confident that we are going to win the series. Both teams played bad yesterday.

The main concern I have remains that we have not been a dominant team since the allstar break. Luckily we will be playing flawed teams until we get to the ECF. Hope the January Hawks show up soon.

I was at this game. First time at Barclays Center, hooray for me!

Defense was obviously lacking, not just in principles but also in effort. My friend and I joked that with the guys knowing they'd be in NYC for several nights in a row playing against a clearly inferior team, they may have gone too hard Friday night. Everyone looked sluggish. Even during TV timeouts our guys seemed worn out the whole game.

Shooting under 40% just isn't going to fly in the playoffs but MAN did we get unlucky. Layups repeatedly rimming out, jumpers going half way down and rattling out. And not to mention some of the swallowed whistles in the second half. We were still in the game until the final 90 seconds. That's amazing.

The most worrisome thing for me are the injuries to Al and Paul. If it didn't come across in his play, Paul was visibly favoring his shoulder throughout the game. We can't assume DMC is going to score 20 every game, we need Paul to be close to 100% or we might be cooked. I didn't notice Al acting any differently regarding his hand, but he's missing almost every shot that would normally be a gimme for him. Sometimes badly. Makes me nervous.

I'm still not worried about this series. You don't need to sound the alarms after a single road loss. That said, the last three playoff games I went to (two for the Hawks, one for the Falcons) were all losses. I'm starting to get a complex.

• Like 1

Well I missed the game (so it might be my fault :-) ). From the boxscore we couldn't shoot for shit (except DMC).

Holding Brooklyn to 91 points should mean a win.

We are not playing with 'pace' as @Jody23 pointed out. Teague didn't last game and both him and Dennis this game.

I would love to see some Squawk Analytics. Who is more active after losses vs who is more active after wins. In fact nevermind, I already know what that bar graph would look like.

Edited by Ruckus
  • Like 2

Holding Brooklyn to 91 points should mean a win..

You would think that 99 out of 100 times, but the ways they scored were very demoralizing to the team. They got exactly what they wanted many times off of uncharacteristic team play, the Hawks were kinda stunned on a few.

Bogdanovic was on fire early, Thad mixed in some offensive rebounds with owning Paul on the block, and Brook had two beautiful moves on the baseline of all places on Al, as if he hasn't been muscling him all series. It doesn't help matters when that big bastard is automatic from the line either. Throw in the best of Jarrett Jack, they seemed in control from the jump. How they did it only scoring 91 is pretty remarkable.

This team has come back from a whole hell of a lot in games this year, I can't recall an 18-0 run in any win or loss. They were all over Kyle too.

You would think that 99 out of 100 times, but the ways they scored were very demoralizing to the team. They got exactly what they wanted many times off of uncharacteristic team play, the Hawks were kinda stunned on a few.

Bogdanovic was on fire early, Thad mixed in some offensive rebounds with owning Paul on the block, and Brook had two beautiful moves on the baseline of all places on Al, as if he hasn't been muscling him all series. It doesn't help matters when that big bastard is automatic from the line either. Throw in the best of Jarrett Jack, they seemed in control from the jump. How they did it only scoring 91 is pretty remarkable.

This team has come back from a whole hell of a lot in games this year, I can't recall an 18-0 run in any win or loss. They were all over Kyle too.

Ok, well it's time for some Budjustments.

Well I missed the game (so it might be my fault :-) ). From the boxscore we couldn't shoot for shit (except DMC).

Holding Brooklyn to 91 points should mean a win.

We are not playing with 'pace' as @Jody23 pointed out. Teague didn't last game and both him and Dennis this game.

U would have pulled ur hair out from seeing all the missed layups from everyone but especially from Jeff. At 1 point I think he missed like 3 in a row

U would have pulled ur hair out from seeing all the missed layups from everyone but especially from Jeff. At 1 point I think he missed like 3 in a row

Yikes, so he's gun shy since he missed the layup at the end of half time in Game 2?

Learn to use the glass guys.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

I absolutely agree.  Teague should definitely be traded...we gotta pick one.  Dennis is 21.  Think of Teague when he was 21 (now 26, 27 in June).  

Dennis is the future.  Teague has a great contract and is coming off an All-Star season.  His value is bloated due to that and the fact that he plays in our system.  Trade him in the offseason imo.

Dennis will be a superior (not to mention younger) player than Teague within two years.  Neither is a natural shooter, but I'd bet that Dennis's career 3PT% will end up being better than Teague's. 

We're not playing for the future. We're not rebuilding. We're playing to win it all. Can't do it with Dennis right now.

Edited by BrazilianHawk

Let's not take shots guys.

Edited by AHF

I don't think Teague is the PG for this team going into the future. He has played like an average PG since the all star break.

I picked as the series MVP. I thought that he would perform at a high level after the mediocre second half that he had this season. The fact that he leads the team in scoring so far just goes to show how bad this team is playing in this series.

If this is the best he is going to play, he needs to be gone because he is the most expendable out of the Hawks top 3 scorers. It gets old seeing him blow layups over and over again.