• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Wizards GAME 1 (1 PM Tip!)

lethalweapon3

I think fouling Wall, close to an 80% free throw shooter, is pretty likely to leave us down 6 with 35 seconds. Letting their offense play out gives us a better chance to be down by 4 with > 12 left. Washington has some good FT shooters, so turning it into a free throw contest was probably in Bud's scouting report and advised him against it?Probably a mistake, but I don't think it was a huge mistake. With 35 seconds, you have what? Maybe 4 possessions? But with > 12 seconds you can get 2? So a 6 point differential with 4 possessions versus 4 point differential with 2 possessions? I'm just speaking out loud on what the situation would be. Bud was pretty pissy about his only question on this topic during the press conference for what it's worth.

Fouling extends the game.

Scenario

- Hawks foul with 33 seconds left .. Wiz make 2 .. Hawks down 6.

- Hawks make a 3 with 24 seconds left .. Hawks down 3

- Hawks foul with 22 seconds left .. Wiz make 1 of 2 FTs .. Hawks down 4.

- Hawks get a quick 2 with 16 seconds left .. Hawks down 2.

At this point, you'd even have the option to play pressure defense for up to 6 seconds, to see if you can get a turnover and tie the game or take the lead.

Bud not fouling wasn't the reason why we lost the game. But not fouling significantly reduced our chance to possibly steal the game away.

Bazemore does not need to plays more...

Starters were only on the floor together for 18 minutes...we need to play the damn starters...

Well, Bazemore is all they got. The only reason he got some big mins with LA is because they sucked last year.

It's not going to well when he is your main backup wing.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Regardless this should have been a win! I'm pissed because I know the Hawks are the better team.

I don't expect them to play a terrible 4th like or second half like that again. That was about as bad as it can get. I think this loss had more to do with the Hawks not being aggressive in the 2nd half until the lead was lost.

We shot jump shot after jump shot in the second half and they stopped falling...we didn't take it inside enough.

We gotta do better in Game 2. Yes, we our offense won't completely evaporate like it did in the 2nd half, but we have to recognize that when jumpers aren't falling, we need to rely more on slashing and getting to the rim. Our ball movement ceased in the second half.

I'm afraid what people said about us being a jumpshooting team is true. Right now it's looking like Wizards in 6. I'll reassess after game 2.

I think the main problem was just ball movement stopping more so than the jumpshots being taken. Problem with the jumpshots was most weren't good shots.

And keep in mind that the Hawks have won games not shooting the ball well before. Another problem was that high pick and roll midrange jumper they kept giving wall (same play Jarrett jack got throughout the whole first round)

Wizards over achieved a bit in my opinion and the Hawks I'm sure are ready to get back at them after dropping a game they should have won.

Bulldozer is a regular season coach.

Overreacting

I think the main problem was just ball movement stopping more so than the jumpshots being taken. Problem with the jumpshots was most weren't good shots.

And keep in mind that the Hawks have won games not shooting the ball well before. Another problem was that high pick and roll midrange jumper they kept giving wall (same play Jarrett jack got throughout the whole first round)

Wizards over achieved a bit in my opinion and the Hawks I'm sure are ready to get back at them after dropping a game they should have won.

Overreacting

How is it overracting? The hawks have played one good game so far in these playoffs and the Nets had to completely roll over for that to happen.

- Fans were awesome. It is a shame that everytime the city gets excited, the team finds a way to take the wind out of them.

- It seems like our end of the game play calling is based only on KK outside shot. It cost us a Nets game and it cost us today.

- Hawks shot 25% in the 2nd half. Enough said.

- Bench fell hard in the postseason.

- When the shots are not falling, we need points in the paint, which we cannot get consistently.

• Premium Member

This one hurts because it feels like a game we should have won. We were getting whatever we wanted offensively early in the game but decided to just pass once and shoot for the majority of the second half. I really do believe the rest gave Washington a pretty big advantage towards the end of the game, but that is our own fault for not finishing off the nets sooner.

I have confidence that we can even the series up Tuesday night and I also know we can win a game or 2 in Washington. This might be a 7 game series instead of 6, which I was hoping for. If we do advance though, the winner of the other series will probably be playing 6/7 games as well.

How is it overracting? The hawks have played one good game so far in these playoffs and the Nets had to completely roll over for that to happen.

We rolled over completely for the Wizards to win today....you act like its a normal thing!

Hawks have won games with bad shooting before and this game was completely uncommon. I'm more frustrated than worried!

Hawks had the wiz panicking I could see it on pierce face....he was thinking "oh shit...."

Edited by JTB

Mike Scott does not deserve Playing time over Muscala. Scott is a streaky shooter who is a lazy defender, at least Moose plays hard when he isn't contributing offensively. 

• Like 3