• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Wizards GAME 1 (1 PM Tip!)

lethalweapon3

This one hurts because it feels like a game we should have won. We were getting whatever we wanted offensively early in the game but decided to just pass once and shoot for the majority of the second half. I really do believe the rest gave Washington a pretty big advantage towards the end of the game, but that is our own fault for not finishing off the nets sooner.

I have confidence that we can even the series up Tuesday night and I also know we can win a game or 2 in Washington. This might be a 7 game series instead of 6, which I was hoping for. If we do advance though, the winner of the other series will probably be playing 6/7 games as well.

Yeah I could see this being a 7 game series if the Hawks win on Tuesday. Can't see the Hawks winning back-to-back in Washington.

We rolled over completely for the Wizards to win today....you act like its a normal thing!

Hawks have won games with bad shooting before and this game was completely uncommon. I'm more frustrated than worried!

Hawks had the wiz panicking I could see it on pierce face....he was thinking "oh shit...."

JTB ... if people are really going to be real about things, the Hawks have been doing this since Dominique statue night. This is not a new occurrence that's happening here.

They've been schizophrenic defensively since Thabo first got hurt. And the bench has been struggling for a while now.

Like Brooklyn, Washington was a team that we dominated in the regular season. I just don't see how people aren't concerned, when you lose home court advantage in Game 1.

Should we still beat Washington? Yes.

Do we really want to be in a 7 game war vs the Wizards, knowing that the Cavs or Bulls lie ahead? No.

Now, Game 2 becomes a must win.

• Like 1

I'm afraid what people said about us being a jumpshooting team is true. Right now it's looking like Wizards in 6. I'll reassess after game 2.

Teague and Sap need to get to the line at least 6 times a game each in the playoffs. 

Bud's system relies on 3 pt shooting and attacking the rim consistently. Teague played too passive and we relied on the 3 too much today.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

JTB ... if people are really going to be real about things, the Hawks have been doing this since Dominique statue night. This is not a new occurrence that's happening here.

They've been schizophrenic defensively since Thabo first got hurt. And the bench has been struggling for a while now.

Like Brooklyn, Washington was a team that we dominated in the regular season. I just don't see how people aren't concerned, when you lose home court advantage in Game 1.

Do we really want to be in a 7 game war vs the Wizards, knowing that the Cavs or Bulls lie ahead? No.

Game 2 is 100% a must win but it's not over if we somehow lose it. I think we all feel that we will win this series in either 6 or 7 games because we are the better team. I'm confident we can win in Washington. If we dropped game 1 against Cleveland or Chicago I would be much more concerned.

Horf played like Horf, DMC and Korver played like them, Jeff and Sap didn't show up at all. As did most of our bench. We need our attackers to attack.

I actually thought sap played decent and Teague did have an off game but probably due to the ankle.  The team just looked exhausted in the second half!  I expect a repeat of the first half, for the entire game come game 2

What is it about the Hawks and these afternoon games? This is the fifth underwhelming afternoon performance (out of 5 games) this season.. I fully expect a beatdown in Game 2, especially if Beal is out (or limited) with his ankle sprain, and if we figure out a way to not let John Wall take open 17-footers until the sun goes down.

• Like 1

Can't have Korver being forced to shoot long miracle threes to close the gap or tie the game up in the closing minutes. Washington can talk all they want about playing better D in the 2nd half but it was simply no ball movement like the above poster said. Fix that and they'll be beating these guys easily like they were in the reg season

The great PAUL PIERCE WINS AGAIN!

Crap!

Washington didn't beat us.  We beat ourselves.  If you can't put the ball

in the basket and you can't stop your opponent, the outcome is obvious.

If the Hawks were so tired, and it seems obvious that they were, where was

Moose?  In the 4th quarter, Hawks needed an inside presence.  A defender.

Someone who could tip in a missed shot.  Again, where was Moose?  What

does Bud have against him and JJ and Brand? 

Hawks were just too tired and we couldn't put in the fresh legs we had on

the bench.  Gotta wonder why.

WAKE UP ATLANTA HAWKS!

PS - Braves won, a shutout.

• Like 1

Yes games 2 & 3....but there's no need to overreact unless the Hawks don't play Hawks basketball....in the 2nd half that was not Hawks basketball, that's was ISO Joe from 5 different starters trying to make something happen on their own! One pass and shoot, one pass and shoot, one pass and shoot....all second half. There were some good looks but we don't do good looks, we do great looks! We are efficient not a bunch of chunkers.

Hawks get back to moving the ball like they normally do and the Wizards are in trouble

Can't have Korver being forced to shoot long miracle threes to close the gap or tie the game up in the closing minutes. Washington can talk all they want about playing better D in the 2nd half but it was simply no ball movement like the above poster said. Fix that and they'll be beating these guys easily like they were in the reg season

Glad somebody gets it!.....BALL MOVEMENT Edited by JTB

For those who said we won't shoot like this again, don't be so sure.

We had a couple games where we couldn't hit a thing against Brooklyn. For one of them we were able to steal a win. We won't be able to do that against this team. Hawks are going to have to play 48 minutes. Demarre can't keep being the only consistent threat, someone else has to step up. We were hot in the first but then that made us start settling and we cooled off. Take it to the hole!

Hawks needs to keep competing for full 48 minutes, and take every possesion seriously. They need to keep moving the ball and execute! Isos and holding the ball will not win the game. 

John Wall was really good, He can read the Hawks defense really well, then find and pass to open teammate. 

I still have faith that Hawks will win game 2 and this series then move to the ECF.

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker

One last time.......

If the ball moves there will be easy points in the paint from time to time, possession to possession. You know this if you've been watching the Hawks all season long. There's no need to cry out for a post player. We have good enough all star Big Men as it is.....ball movement will create shots at the goal along with certain players cutting and just doing their damn job like penetrating the lane aggressively throughout the whole game! Ya know the stuff we normally do.

But if for some odd reason the Hawks suddenly stop moving the ball for long periods of the game like today's 2nd half....it's not a coaching issue, it's the players fault! They know what the hell they are suppose to be doing. These players know this team has no superstars and they've been reminded by the general fans and media a countless amount of times that they have no star player. They know they have no individual MVP caliber player.... If this team chemistry, trust, and discipline all go away suddenly because we are deeper in the playoffs...expect the Hawks to go after a star player because that's completely unacceptable! And I don't think it will get to that point.

• Like 1

For those who said we won't shoot like this again, don't be so sure.

We had a couple games where we couldn't hit a thing against Brooklyn. For one of them we were able to steal a win. We won't be able to do that against this team. Hawks are going to have to play 48 minutes. Demarre can't keep being the only consistent threat, someone else has to step up. We were hot in the first but then that made us start settling and we cooled off. Take it to the hole!

True....it's the playoffs and it's harder to be efficient.

Hawks shot bad games 1-3 against Brooklyn but the got back into rhythm and shot great percentages games 4-6 against Brooklyn.

They have to find other ways to win like playing defense and not giving up that high pick n roll mid range to walk the whole game

• Like 1

Hawks needs to keep competing for full 48 minutes, and take every possesion seriously. They need to keep moving the ball and execute! Isos and holding the ball will not win the game.

John Wall was really good, He can read the Hawks defense really well, then find and pass to open teammate.

I still have faith that Hawks will win game 2 and this series then move to the ECF.

Agreed and wall just need more pressure on him...we need Teague to get aggressive and make wall work for every assist and point he get.

• Like 1

It's so hard to be a Hawk's fan.  ...these guys really rolled over today.

I think they could win this series 4-1, but have no idea how they will respond.  A lot of guys need to get focused and play to their potential.  We are clearly the better team.  

Game 2 is 100% a must win but it's not over if we somehow lose it. I think we all feel that we will win this series in either 6 or 7 games because we are the better team. I'm confident we can win in Washington. If we dropped game 1 against Cleveland or Chicago I would be much more concerned.

It's only been about 16 or so teams in NBA playoff history that have won a series from down 0-2. The vast majority of the teams lost 2 road games and came back, not 2 home games.

Lose 2 home games, and you're virtually done.