• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The messed up part about Pierce's 3

Wurider05

I know they're gameplanning, but how he continues to get good looks is beyond me.

I realize part of it is Gortat and Nene setting bulldozer screens with a little referee blind eye thrown in, but still. It's Paul Pierce. Deny the catch. Please.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

You have a hard time denying much of anything when guys are allowed to set moving screens and block like the Cowboys' offensive line. If Pero or Moose did that, we wouldn't be seeing them until Thanksgiving...

• Like 2

• Moderators

Third game in a row that he has had an open three to win/tie game.  Something has to be done about that going forward

The "opening" was created with an egregious moving screen.  Those are hard to stop when the refs don't enforce the rules.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

folks I watched the referees last night and unlike several on this board the calls werer bad on both sides.  Go back and look at the Hawks possessions before the Pierce three and Dennis commited an offensive foul and Horf commited one a couple plays before that.  It has been bad on both sides and I understand its easy just to see the Hawks getting screwed.   On the Korver steal Wall got mugged in the lane and no call and I thought damn we lucky on that one.

Edited by Vol4ever
  • Like 1

• Moderators

folks I watched the referees last night and unlike several on this board the calls werer bad on both sides.  Go back and look at the Hawks possessions before the Pierce three and Dennis commited an offensive foul and Horf commited one a couple plays before that.  It has been bad on both sides and I understand its easy just to see the Hawks getting screwed.   On the Korver steal Wall got mugged in the lane and no call and I thought damn we lucky on that one.

I just want the refs to actually call the game correctly.  I don't want either side to get phantom calls or to get away with fouls.  

Of course, it one side is going to get the benefit of bad reffing then I want it to be the Hawks.  

Edited by AHF
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

Vol, I need some criticism for that and I am sure you are right to an extent because I am biased but I have been amazed at some of the calls/non-calls. I agree with AHF that correct officiating both ways would be just fine.

• Moderators

was that he stepped out of bounds right in front of the ref and it was a no call. 

Do you have a video of that.   I definitely can't tell from the clip i've seen.   He's pretty close though.  I couldn't figure out why they weren't reviewing more things.

I think the most messed up part about that shot is how wide open he was.  It made no sense, after last game and how he ended it, we left him wide open in the corner and he did it again.  Luckily Big Al wasnt having it and put a end to that real quick, but its the principal of the matter.  How was he "wide" open???????????????

• Moderators

I think the most messed up part about that shot is how wide open he was.  It made no sense, after last game and how he ended it, we left him wide open in the corner and he did it again.  Luckily Big Al wasnt having it and put a end to that real quick, but its the principal of the matter.  How was he "wide" open???????????????

Watch the play again.  His defender is chasing him and then gets cleared out of the picture by an egregious moving screen from Gortat.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Nice catch, I wasn't looking at that but yeah Gortat sliding to get into the way of Millsap. I doubt we see that called on the Last 2 Minute report though. Those reports do not sound unbiased to me anymore, they sound like when Mike Pereira was still Director of Officiating and doing TV work for FOX NFL games...like Pereira was employed by the NFL Officials and so of course he is going to lean hard towards "oh see, that's the right call and here's why" even if it was blatantly wrong. This was back around 2007 or so? Not sure when it was that Pereira left, but eventually he transitioned away from the NFL and into the media completely and lo and behold he all the sudden started making better calls on the review plays.

It'd be nice if the L2M were audits from a 3rd party, but they aren't.

Like with Demarre getting planted by Nene in game 4 they ruled that a legal screen when it clearly wasn't.   I don't think it was biased so much as the NBA sending a clear message to the refs that they don't want that called because they think it's a better entertainment product to have Pierce get an attempt at a game tying 3 then take the ball out of his hands on an away from the ball foul.

It's exactly what Donaghy said in his book and folks thought the NBA would clean up their act.   I think it's slightly better but it's still about the stars and its about what the league office thinks is in their financial interest and it's not about correct calls.

I felt this game was pretty poorly called both ways. They let them play quite a bit. The last game was the one that got me. That one felt super one sided towards the Wizards.

Ya...on one play the ball clearly went off Gortat's big red clown shoe and they gave it to the Wiz. I was cursing the TV yelling.. BIG RED CLOWN SHOE....BIG RED CLOWN SHOE...like an outpatient from the ward. Lol

Yeah, some of the screens they set look like Walter Jones run blocks. I've long stopped holding referrees to any type of account. They clearly have to be totally ignorant to the game of basketball and have a total lack of common sense. Then you got the ones who wanna be stars, ugh.