• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency

jmac54

We should not 're-sign Millsap. And should let Demarre walk if he commands too much. You know someone's gunna overpay for both those guys. We need a Center and a scorer. Simple as that really.

I agree.  We should let Millsap walk and give DeMarre no more than $7M.  

Ferry and Bud don't overspend and I don't expect them to now.

The difference is, you don't overpay to MAYBE get a contender, but it's something different to keep or improve an already contending team. Ask Cuban if he still thinks not overpaying his championship team was such a good idea...

Edited by rd79
  • Like 4

• Moderators

The difference is, you don't overpay to MAYBE get a contender, but it's something different to keep or improve an already contending team. Ask Cuban if he still thinks not overpaying his championship team was such a good idea...

Agreed.  Overpaying Joe Johnson for second round blowouts was one thing.  Once you are in the ECF, you have a shot at a ring.  With our history I would look to "overpay" now if we are ever going to do it.  Of course, you can't max both guys or anything like that but putting a 7M limit on DMC and watching him go for 8M so you can sign someone like Jeff Green for 6M would be brutal.

Agreed.  Overpaying Joe Johnson for second round blowouts was one thing.  Once you are in the ECF, you have a shot at a ring.  With our history I would look to "overpay" now if we are ever going to do it.  Of course, you can't max both guys or anything like that but putting a 7M limit on DMC and watching him go for 8M so you can sign someone like Jeff Green for 6M would be brutal.

DMC is a lot more than 7M. Come on guys, we really need to resign him. Pay 12-13 mil. If we don't, I am all for trading Jeff for Ben McLemore and the 6th pick. 

Shouldn't we begin to factor the TV money into salaries now?  IOW, $7-8MM for a player like DMC will be seen as a massive underpay in the new salary structure of the league IMHO.

Also, not sure why folks are still so fascinated with us getting a center.  Roy Hibbert will be available for all y'all still pining for one.

We'll have Horford, Muscala and the Tavares kid (and Pero).  How many bodies should we throw at the position considering it's not a huge part of what we do?   I know, I know, rim protection!  rebounding!  loud noises!!  To that I say we won 60 games and are in the ECF.

Shouldn't we begin to factor the TV money into salaries now?  IOW, $7-8MM for a player like DMC will be seen as a massive underpay in the new salary structure of the league IMHO.

Also, not sure why folks are still so fascinated with us getting a center.  Roy Hibbert will be available for all y'all still pining for one.

We'll have Horford, Muscala and the Tavares kid (and Pero).  How many bodies should we throw at the position considering it's not a huge part of what we do?   I know, I know, rim protection!  rebounding!  loud noises!!  To that I say we won 60 games and are in the ECF.

Hibbert is a hell no. How do we know he will opt out? If we leave the off-season losing Sap and DMC and get Hibbert. I'll be pissed. 

Hibbert is a hell no. How do we know he will opt out? If we leave the off-season losing Sap and DMC and get Hibbert. I'll be pissed. 

Absolutely.  But hey, folks want a center so bad maybe they'll settle for that stiff.

Unless we get a player or players that are significant upgrades to either Sap or DMC (like Marc Gasol) they'll be back.

This.

Offer DMC $10mil/yr. And Hawks are set at C: Horford, Antić (or not), Muscala, Tavares. Unless M. Gasol wants to join the Pac.

Edited by hazer

Just my opinion, but I think for money purposes we need to let DMC go unless he wants to sign for 10 or less, and if Sap wants close to a max deal let him go too. Sign gasol to play center put Horford at the 4, where he belongs, and draft a good young 3, I'd like to see Oubre, to play along with sefalosha, who still has 2 years left on his deal. Add another shooter, unless Jenkins figures out how to shoot again, and get rid of Pero for Tavares, and we have a better team on our hands and that will leave us a nice chunk of cap available for 2016-2017 when the cap goes up.

• Premium Member

The only way I see Millsap leaving is if Gasol or LMA come here which is not going to happen. Which is a shame because I firmly believe if Gasol came here and we moved Horf to PF then we'd win a title the next year.

The only way I see Millsap leaving is if Gasol or LMA come here which is not going to happen. Which is a shame because I firmly believe if Gasol came here and we moved Horf to PF then we'd win a title the next year.

Agreed. If Gasol was smart, which I believe that he is, he would want to team up with coach Bud asap. Same goes for Lamarcus.

Agreed. If Gasol was smart, which I believe that he is, he would want to team up with coach Bud asap. Same goes for Lamarcus.

I doubt either leave and, if they do, it'll be to chase $$$/insurance company commercials in NY/LA.

Don't forget a team can go over the salary cap when signing their own players. The risk is going after other players not on the team and waiting thus a team like the Lakers could come in and take DMC before the Hawks get to their offer.It would be stupid unless another team offers an outlandish contract for a free agent to not allow his original team to at least match since they can offer more.

Gasol,Jordan especially if they want the money their own team probably offers more. I don't see them moving because of the ore money however some athletes just want to live in another location or some other reason not to resign.

Honestly I doubt Sap and DMC will be playing for another team since I think the Hawks will pay what they need to keep them. The thing you have to ask yourself if the Hawks don't advance can they sustain their success? Can they add a piece here and there to be a deep playoff contender for the forseeable future?

I don't see their reboudning woes going away without a decent change. Since the Hawks seemingly are modeling themselves after the Spurs if you look at stats the Spurs rebound very well .The Hawks are near the bottom. I think this Cleveland series will show the lack of rebounding can kill your team giving the other team second chance opportunities. The Hawks could still win if they would hit their open shots but there are to many times the Hawks go in a rut and a team like Cleveland will make you pay. So how do the Hawks get better at rebounding if they keep the same players? Gasol certainly would be a nice addition move Horford to power forward and Sap would be gone. Should be an interesting off season.

Mark Gasol will be maxed out by Memphis, in money and on years ... unless he takes less years to make more money on an even bigger contract later.

Barring a trip to the NBA Finals, I don't know what the Hawks could sell to Gasol to bring him here. Memphis has accomplished just as much as we have these past 4 years.

MAYBE you could sell Gasol on the fact that it may be easier to win a title in the East, with Lebron being the main obstacle ... instead of in the West, where you have to go through 80% of the All-NBA team to get there.

DMC is a lot more than 7M. Come on guys, we really need to resign him. Pay 12-13 mil. If we don't, I am all for trading Jeff for Ben McLemore and the 6th pick. 

Here we go again with trading an Allstar point guard who is 26...

Resign Carol for 3/27million

I would go after Jimmy Butler, b/c we need a SG who can create his own shot

Millsap's number is going down which is good for us. His playoff run has been green runny baby sh$t. Our salary cap needs compensation for all these missed short jumpers and layups.

Edited by benhillboy

Before the playoffs, I was of a mind that we'd be in good shape just bringing back Paul and DMC. That's not going to cut it. There needs to be a talent upgrade, even if those guys have to walk. Go after Gasol, Deandre, Aldridge, Butler, Kawhi, or see what's available via trade. Do we have enough to go after Cousins? I don't know, but they have to try. You come back here with the same team and get worked again by LeBron or whoever next year in the playoffs and you'll lose the fanbase you worked so hard to build up this year.