• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question for the people in favor of bringing the same team back...

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Let's say the Hawks get blasted by the same LeBron James' led Cavs team in the ECF next season. Would you then be in favor blowing this thing up or making wholesale changes?

We would be stuck at that point. At this point, were not. 

We have Sap and DMC as FA's. 

We have Dennis in Yr 2 and Teague w/ 2 yrs left in his deal. 

Horf has a year. 

And the #15 pick. 

Once you resign Sap and DMC, you commit them to your future and feel like an undersized starting frontcourt is the way to go. It's the Joe era all over again. Dennis and Jeff and only one can get those big bucks. We will probably have the 25-29 pick. Bad position. 

• Moderators

I agree with Supes. We would be stuck at that point because Sap and DMC would be committed for another 2-4 seasons and Teague and Korver would still have 2 years on the books. Horford's $12 mil would be gone, but you don't let a player like that walk out the door. This is a huge offseason for us that we have to get right and I feel staying pat would be a big mistake.  We don't need a huge splash (all though I'd take one), but we have to improve our starting 5.

• Like 3

Let's say the Hawks get blasted by the same LeBron James' led Cavs team in the ECF next season. Would you then be in favor blowing this thing up or making wholesale changes?

I would be if the team was fully healthy and got smashed.  I'm not about to overreact to a team that was playing on one leg getting beat badly.  We aren't the Cavs, we don't have a Lebron that can take over when other parts go down.  We play as a team and we are only at our best when we have the full team available.  What we learned in these playoffs is that our depth isn't as strong as it seemed during the regular season.  I'm still confident that we can win if we can trim some of the fat and replace them with quality players.  Goodbye to Daye, Brand, Jenkins, Pero and maybe Scott. 

Bring Tavares over, draft a wing, sign one or two solid players on bargain Ferry deals.  A wing and a big preferably.  I'm not 100% sure on the cap situation so I'm not going to suggest a bunch of names when I don't know who could realistically fit.  I have full faith in Ferry handling that part as long as the new owners are smart enough to bring him back. 

Resigning Millsap and Carroll will only tighten our cap for the next season.  The cap will jump by leaps and bounds in the next two following seasons.  I say bring both back unless Gasol, Butler or Leonard call our name somehow.  I am not interested in exchanging Sap for one trick ponies like Monroe and Jefferson.  I would rather add a one trick pony to the combo of Millsap/Horford and have a trio of solid bigs that give us a variety of ways to play. 

Not to mention Cavs will only be better with Love returning and Varejao off the bench. No way bringing the same group back is a good idea.

Varejao will be hurt after 30 games.

• Like 4

Horford would be a FA. Tavares should be on the roster so a Teague (expiring)/Korver (expiring)/Carroll (extended)/Millsap (extended)/Tavares starting lineup for the 2016-17 season could be interesting. 

Seeing how Gobert performed with the Jazz, maybe ATL could get the same from Tavares.

• Premium Member

I love Millsap but I'm willing to let him walk if that means we can grab a good C and let Horford play PF. I'm not opposed to bringing him back at all, I just believe the easiest and most productive change of our starting 5 is that. You also want to consider using Korver as a 6th man to keep his minutes down.

Plus, this group will continue to improve (with or without Sap). We have Edy coming over, the 15th pick, Schröder has another year under his belt, the players/coaches finally got some good playoff experience, DMC keeps improving, we have new owners and the cap increases soon.

I could keep building on that list too. The season ended poorly but it was a great season and we are trending up.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

I agree with Supes. We would be stuck at that point because Sap and DMC would be committed for another 2-4 seasons and Teague and Korver would still have 2 years on the books. Horford's $12 mil would be gone, but you don't let a player like that walk out the door. This is a huge offseason for us that we have to get right and I feel staying pat would be a big mistake.  We don't need a huge splash (all though I'd take one), but we have to improve our starting 5.

You don't make changes just because you can.   That's the Logic shown. Moroever, if we are in the ECF, we are not stuck, our players accumulate more value and can be traded if we need to.

Yea Millsap is like the only sacrifice Hawks have to make to get a good Center for their team. I do wish Millsap stay though, i really respect him a lot, he's a hard worker and really skilled but he lack size. and get outrebounded by 7 footers opponents big.

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker

• Premium Member

Yea Millsap is like the only sacrifice Hawks have to make to get a good Center for their team. I do wish Millsap stay though, i really respect him a lot, he's a hard worker and really skilled but he lack size. and get outrebounded by 7 footers opponents big.

Lacking size is not a reason to get rid of Milsap.  You go out and get size if that's the case. Sap has a specific role on our offense, he's our stretch PF. 

• Like 1

I hate to say it but having both Teague and Dennis is a luxury. It may be time to trade Jeff and stick with the cheaper option . Letting Dennis run the team gets him playoff ready and clears cahs off the books where we can get a bog center in return.

I hate to say it but having both Teague and Dennis is a luxury. It may be time to trade Jeff and stick with the cheaper option . Letting Dennis run the team gets him playoff ready and clears cahs off the books where we can get a bog center in return.

If you want to trade teague, Who's gonna be back up PG behind Dennis? 

I don't see Teague going anywhere though, im really confident he'll be staying in Atlanta.

there are plenty of cheaper options out there - heck we already have Mack on the roster - with more playing time I think he will shine . We simply dont need two starting calibre pg's - while its nice to have we need to resign Milsap and get a legit center. Jeff has a solid season and a trade can make that happen.

there are plenty of cheaper options out there - heck we already have Mack on the roster - with more playing time I think he will shine . We simply dont need two starting calibre pg's - while its nice to have we need to resign Milsap and get a legit center. Jeff has a solid season and a trade can make that happen.

I rather trade Pero, elton brand, and Mike scott, for a decent average Big C. 

do we want a cheap option?? We already did that and Brand didnt play much and Pero was , well Pero. We need a legitimate talent that can have nights where he can dominate and also provide a veteran presence to help mentor guys like Moose and Tavares. 

I dont want another band aide , I want a center that will finally enable us to move Al over and give us the rim protector we have needed for years. Who knows this could also enable Al to focus more on his offense and just like that we have the scorer we need too !

I rather trade Pero, elton brand, and Mike scott, for a decent average Big C. 

besides what do you think any of these 3 guys combined will bring in return - theres no real market for Pero or Brand, and Mike Scott aint gonna bring you that much either. I want someone thats gonna push Al over and start at center.

do we want a cheap option?? We already did that and Brand didnt play much and Pero was , well Pero. We need a legitimate talent that can have nights where he can dominate and also provide a veteran presence to help mentor guys like Moose and Tavares. 

I dont want another band aide , I want a center that will finally enable us to move Al over and give us the rim protector we have needed for years. Who knows this could also enable Al to focus more on his offense and just like that we have the scorer we need too !

If you want Talented C in the starter position where you gonna put him? Are you gonna replace Millsap, or Horford role?

So you think getting rid of jeff and moving Al to PF will solve our supposed scoring problem. I hate to tell you but jeff will always be a better scorer than Al whether he is at PF or C. This scenario involves moving sap and sap and jeff were two of our only three players that could score on their own.

• Like 2