• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking for a new GM

Vol4ever

Horrible decision if true.  Losing Ferry could very well lead to Bud's departure.

Do you guys honestly think that Bud is going to give up a multi million dollar job, just because the new ownership didn't retain Ferry.

Would any of you give up a job paying you millions of dollars, if you felt your best friend ( whom you were working with ) got fired unfairly in your eyes?

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of Bud calling the shot on players; I think coaches are often to close to players to be objective. First thing he says is I want everyone back.

A GM would say we are going to evaluate the seasons film and figure out how we can get better. I like our team, but we've got to figure out how to get better through all avenues.

I'm not a fan of what it does to the player coach relationship. If Bud has the final say on playing time and who comes and goes he's always the bad guy when an unpopular decision has to be made.

I don't buy that at all. With the relationships Bud seems to have with his players, if someone ever is replaced on the roster I think it would be discussed, handled professionally, and everyone on the team made to realize why it happened and would keep everyone on the same page.

Also, I have zero problem with him saying immediately he wanted everyone back. If you believe in your team, and clearly Bud does, what's the issue? If anything it immediately makes those free agents feel valued here to have their coach say that; which only increases their chances of signing back with ATL. If you're trying to create a "family" atmosphere around the club, you don't turn around in the offseason and treat people like cattle.

This is a very valid point. It would be difficult for Bud to be objective as the guy making roster decisions. He's already said he'd like the same roster back next year. But after the Cleveland series, it's clear at least some improvements need to be made.

I think for a lot of us, that is very far from clear. What's clear to me is we need to be healthy next time, and continue on down this path of player development we started only TWO seasons ago.

Let me add one last thing: if it ends up that Ferry isn't here anymore, then my vote is to keep the current status quo of keeping Bud over basketball operations while promoting Wilcox to full GM. They are fimiliar with each other and my guess is they are on the same page since he was under Ferry. Also, it will take a lot for me to ever questions Bud's eye for player talent. Remember, he is the guy solely responsible for convincing Pop to trade George Hill for Kawhi, when Pop loved Hill. Look what Kawhi has turned into? Bud saw that.

Why exactly??

Because history was repeating itself in Atlanta. He has a terrible draft record, failed to put an attractive roster around LeBron, can't bring in marquee free agents. I'm confident if he stays it will be an offseason of lateral moves, the Hawks will still remain a step below Clevelamd. I want someone who thinks big picture and isn't afraid to make big moves to build a championship roster. I just don't see the Hawks improving under DF, (I guess the Luol Deng incident doesn't help either).

Do you guys honestly think that Bud is going to give up a multi million dollar job, just because the new ownership didn't retain Ferry.

Would any of you give up a job paying you millions of dollars, if you felt your best friend ( whom you were working with ) got fired unfairly in your eyes?

You really think money has anything to do with it?

He just won the COY award and the 1st seed in the Eastern Conference with the Atlanta Hawks. That is incredible and well beyond what anyone ever expected.

Bud can go wherever he wants.

C'mon @TheNorthCydeRises it's not about money and friendship it'll be about differences in basketball philosophies between GM and Coach why Bud would not be back. Coach Bud has 1 year left on his contract if he decides the new GM's direction doesn't mirror his own and opts not to resign he'll have his pick of any team with a vacancy. Just saying.

The huge flaw in your point is the fact that Bud could easily find that money elsewhere.  Bud would have a host of teams knocking down his door if he let it be known that he was looking to move on from Atlanta and I bet some of those teams would be more than happy to give Ferry the GM job.

• Like 2

Given the Hawks success on the court despite the financially broken roster DF got handed to him if they let him go over saying luol deng "has a little African in him" behind closed doors the Hawks ownership group deserves to have an arena with 5000 empty seats in it again.

• Like 4

Because history was repeating itself in Atlanta. He has a terrible draft record, failed to put an attractive roster around LeBron, can't bring in marquee free agents. I'm confident if he stays it will be an offseason of lateral moves, the Hawks will still remain a step below Clevelamd. I want someone who thinks big picture and isn't afraid to make big moves to build a championship roster. I just don't see the Hawks improving under DF, (I guess the Luol Deng incident doesn't help either).

Yeah, Deng would have put us right over the top.crazy.gif   I am so grateful we didn't waste $14 million or so on a washed up has been.

• Premium Member

Yeah, Deng would have put us right over the top.crazy.gif   I am so grateful we didn't waste $14 million or so on a washed up has been.

I find it strange that Deng has drawn the ire of some posters here. There's only one person responsible for the situation Ferry is in right now and it's not Deng.

I find it strange that Deng has drawn the ire of some posters here. There's only one person responsible for the situation Ferry is in right now and it's not Deng.

How dare you.  Don't you realize Danny Ferry collaborated with James Naismith to create the game of basketball.  His fists full o' rings haven't convinced you of his near LeeBron-like BBIQ?  Oh wait, there's something wrong with that last sentence.

So, you really think that rebuilding a team to go from 8th to 1st seed in the East over the span of 2 years is not impressive?  Is that not an improvement?

Hell, two years ago everyone thought the Hawks should just tank and rebuild through the draft on some crazy 5 to 8 year plan.  And you know what?  That's what all of those marque free agents thought the Hawks were going to do as well.  Almost overnight the Hawks have become a winning program and an attractive destination for any free agent.

Ferry does see the big picture.  There's been a cultural shift within Hawks unlike anything I've seen before.  Better branding, a winning mentality, world class coaching, and improved player development are all part of that big picture.  Drafting is too, but it isn't everything.  Very few GM's, if any, have nailed every pick they've ever made.

I would totally be willing to give Ferry another 2 years to finish what he started.

• Like 3

How dare you.  Don't you realize Danny Ferry collaborated with James Naismith to create the game of basketball.  His fists full o' rings haven't convinced you of his near LeeBron-like BBIQ?  Oh wait, there's something wrong with that last sentence.

I'm more of a vinegar-based pork man myself.

...that was the wrong part of your sentence right? A typo?

I'm more of a vinegar-based pork man myself.

...that was the wrong part of your sentence right? A typo?

What, you don't like the LiiBron-like BBQ?  It's based with something a little different than vinegar.  HeatCalfs fans are drinking it up.

What, you don't like the LiiBron-like BBQ?  It's based with something a little different than vinegar.  HeatCalfs fans are drinking it up.

Na, with those Calfs you're getting that brisket and that's no fun man. Those prices are through the roof right now. Plus it's a pain in the ass (well, cow chest) to cut up. Get on the high hog and ride that out.

And yeah, Laabrown is definitely not on that vinegar. Not salty enough. But I got like sodium restrictions, man.

So, you really think that rebuilding a team to go from 8th to 1st seed in the East over the span of 2 years is not impressive?  Is that not an improvement?

Hell, two years ago everyone thought the Hawks should just tank and rebuild through the draft on some crazy 5 to 8 year plan.  And you know what?  That's what all of those marque free agents thought the Hawks were going to do as well.  Almost overnight the Hawks have become a winning program and an attractive destination for any free agent.

Ferry does see the big picture.  There's been a cultural shift within Hawks unlike anything I've seen before.  Better branding, a winning mentality, world class coaching, and improved player development are all part of that big picture.  Drafting is too, but it isn't everything.  Very few GM's, if any, have nailed every pick they've ever made.

I would totally be willing to give Ferry another 2 years to finish what he started.

Drafting is a huge part of a GM's job. That goes for any sport.  Questionable drafting can set a team back for god knows how many years. To say it isn't everything is mind boggling to me. It's one of the most important aspects of being a GM. 

You also have to consider our window. If we never make it back to the Conference Final, those two wasted first rounders might hurt in a few years. We already have felt the impact of Atlanta's bad drafting in years past.

Drafting is a huge part of a GM's job. That goes for any sport.  Questionable drafting can set a team back for god knows how many years. To say it isn't everything is mind boggling to me. It's one of the most important aspects of being a GM. 

You also have to consider our window. If we never make it back to the Conference Final, those two wasted first rounders might hurt in a few years. We already have felt the impact of Atlanta's bad drafting in years past.

Drafting is arguably more important for the Hawks since we won't be attracting top FAgents on a consistent basis.  We can't miss on 1st rounders.

Drafting is a huge part of a GM's job. That goes for any sport. Questionable drafting can set a team back for god knows how many years. To say it isn't everything is mind boggling to me. It's one of the most important aspects of being a GM.

Questionable drafting coupled with bad free agent signings, no player development of said draft picks, bad coaching and the inability to manage the cap is what can set a team back. So no, drafting is not EVERYTHING but it is important. Edited by JayBirdHawk