• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks plan to promote Mike Budenholzer, Wes Wilcox; part ways with Danny Ferry.

pimp

I was as big an Antić fan as any but the sample size to me shows he's a streaky shooter, I thought he was a pure Big shooter, like Bud apparently did. Early Bargnani percentages from 3 (.369 his first 5 years) were probably expected more consistently with twice the toughness in the screen and box game. He seems to kill it for a month then pretty much kills us the rest of the time.

Agreed, the total inability for him to pull down a contested board or block a single shot is very draining on the team. Diesel suggested Plumlee in another thread, he'd make Pero third string instead of Elton. Huge upgrade

I'm straight on Monroe. Ain't no dog or winning pedigree in dude.

I'm ok with Plumlee. He has got some hops,is  big and could develop maybe into another Mozgov.

Im gonna say this again. This is about CHIPS.........This isnt about "just getting it done." Cleveland SHOWED that you HAVE to have a monster on the boards. Mosgov and Thompson just destroyed the Hawks front line. Heck, New Orleans, had they been in the Eastern Conference, wouldve sent the Hawks packing in the first round because they couldnt stop Anthony Davis during the regular season.

Im soo critical of Pero because the Hawks, in my opinion, were ONE REAL big away from a championship. Pero had THAT spot. Thats why im so critical of him. I dont want no just getting by,player, we need a REAL difference maker. Im upset because as smart as Bud/Ferry, Wes, the ball boy, whoever, makes the decisions, they should have saw how close the Hawks were and made a move to get a rebounder/ rim protector.

The Hawks been in Atlanta since 1970, so excuse me if im a little inpatient with that franchise. Always rebuilding, starting over, all that, when the chip was THERE for the taking this year. It was THERE. They couldve beat Golden State because one thing a basketball team hates, is to defend another team that plays exactly like them.

Next year, the East is gonna be tougher and they have had a year of film under their belt to dissect what the Hawks are all about............Trotting scrubs out there again under the guise of " spreading the floor, nuances, analytics" and all that, isnt gonna cut it.......

You tellin' me Payne was the one piece we needed for a 'chip'?  C'mon son.

And who do you recommend for head coach?  Why?[/quote

I don't recommend anyone. Bud is fine as a head coach. But he needs to improve and having to worry about personnel moves on top of becoming a better coach is too much. He needs to only be the head coach.

• Moderators

Ah I see Arnovitz is reporting that Ferry is being paid more money to go away...............wow.

I think Arnovitz carries more weight, so interesting to hear. Also, paying Ferry to go away seems like Gearon is basically going "OK Danny sorry for the unprofessional release of secretly taped recordings where you read off a scouting report and I was laughing in the background. Here's some extra money for ruining your reputation so please don't sue."

Good Lord I hate Gearon. What scum.

Thanks for saving me the typing on my phone!

But yet we want to pay Millsap $18 mil per year when the Hawks continued to win without him in the line up...Just wierd

Sap is still a important piece, but i dont think the Hawks will HAVE to break the bank to keep either he or Carroll. I just have a feeling on that. Sap and Carroll know the Spurs/Hawks system is what put them over the top. What i would like to see, and ive said it over and over, is for the Hawks to slide Horford over to 4, slide Sap down to 3 and Carroll over to 2 guard.

Sap plays undersized ANYWAY at the 4, so moving him over to small forward is no big deal. In fact, it will allow him to dominate other small forwards. Pairing him with Horford in the front court produces nothing for the Hawks on the boards or rim protecting. Get a true center while Horford and Sap are still relatively young.

All these tears for Ferry, when Ferry about to pocket multimillions, THEN, go get a front office job somewhere else. He will most likely go back to the Spurs, where they will CREATE a title for him, " assistant president of basketball operations " or something along those lines, and get yet another payday........

DannyFerryCC.jpg

wpid-bag-of-money.jpg

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 1

All these tears for Ferry, when Ferry about to pocket multimillions, THEN, go get a front office job somewhere else. He will most likely go back to the Spurs, where they will CREATE a title for him, " assistant president of basketball operations " or something along those lines, and get yet another payday........

DannyFerryCC.jpg

wpid-bag-of-money.jpg

I doubt any organization will touch Ferry for a longtime. Hawks fans are seriously over valuing this guy.

Well, THIS is interesting:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13116152/atlanta-hawks-board-approves-buyout-general-manager-danny-ferry-contract

The Atlanta Hawks board approved a buyout of general manager Danny Ferry's contract at a meeting Friday.

The controlling majority, led by Bruce Levenson, and the ownership group's New York-based partners voted in favor of the buyout, which will pay Ferry more than the remaining balance on the final three years of his six-year contract with the Hawks, according to league sources.

The franchise's Atlanta-based partnership voted against the buyout deal, according to sources.

So Gearon and his band of douchenozzles voted against the buyout of Ferry that overpaid him to go away. Why am I not surprised... At least Levenson's final act was to spit in Gearon's face one last time and cost him some money. And I'm kind of glad to see Levenson at least show some appreciation for the job Ferry did here in rewarding him with the only real way he had left.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Sap is still a important piece, but i dont think the Hawks will HAVE to break the bank to keep either he or Carroll. I just have a feeling on that. Sap and Carroll know the Spurs/Hawks system is what put them over the top. What i would like to see, and ive said it over and over, is for the Hawks to slide Horford over to 4, slide Sap down to 3 and Carroll over to 2 guard.

Sap plays undersized ANYWAY at the 4, so moving him over to small forward is no big deal. In fact, it will allow him to dominate other small forwards. Pairing him with Horford in the front court produces nothing for the Hawks on the boards or rim protecting. Get a true center while Horford and Sap are still relatively young.

How are you going to do this by keeping Sap and DMC?

• Premium Member

@atlhawks1: Sap may be undersized, but he's one of those unique guys whose performance belies his metrics... conventional wisdom says you can't get the same outstanding defensive performances out of him at 3, and you might even see DMC a bit exposed with some 2s as well. I appreciate the concept, but I just think in the end analysis, Horford would prove better at guarding 5s than Sap is at guarding 3s. I do agree with the desire to upgrade at 5, but I think that's mainly a matter of identifying someone to take more of Antić's minutes... and I think that's very do-able.

From what I have read Danny F. is making out fine in this "departure"...getting even more $ than he would have been owed contractually.  There are likely clauses in the buyout to keep him borderline "in the fold" or at least from going elsewhere immediately.  Chances are he will be a behind the scenes consultant.

Bud is probably one of those "smart f_ckers" who actually do better when somewhat over-tasked.  No worries about him.

I am pretty pissed about the Ferry move to be honest. Maybe he was a jerk but the guy who brought this much success to this treadmilling franchise deserves a lot of credit. Dumping the JJ contract, moving Marvin, not resigning Josh, bringing in Bud, Sap, DMC, etc... He also represented a step out from the dysfunctional ownership group in that he was a singular decision making person who focused on building the right culture and chemistry. Someone that did that much for this franchise in such a short amount of time should be given a medal and not a kick in the pants. And all over something that was clearly a mistake, not his own words, was going to have little if any real negative effects, and from someone who is well respected around the league and a `first offender' just really ticks me off, especially since it represents giving in to the PC police over an incredibly mild offense. Especially since all local polling (AJC poll and 929 poll) showed that well over 90% of the people in Atlanta wanted Ferry to get another shot. And since this franchise has really needed someone like him for the past two decades (at least) the people most likely to suffer are the fans who have no idea what they're going to get now. A simple memo from the new owners saying that Danny has been severely punished and forgiven and will resume his post would have let this all blow over in a few days and we'd be back to building. Now we're in for who knows what and our Architect is gone. Just seems to be begging for the interference of the well documented Atlanta Curse. Get people interested in the team success, then knock them back into the crapper. Danny didn't deserve this, Atlanta didn't deserve this. Bad call.

• Like 2

Firstly, those trying to minimize what Ferry did here sound silly. The Hawks moved to Atlanta in 1968 and there most successful season ever came exactly 3 years after his arrival. 40 plus years of futility and people are trying to act like he was overrated. Don't give me any excuses about a weak east. You don't think the east has ever been weak before in 4 decades? This guy accomplished a eastern conference finals, 60 win team, hired one of the best coaches in the Nba, and got us out of salary cap hell in 3 bleeping years.

Secondly, Danny Ferry was clearly fired without cause. You don't get the remainder of your salary plus additional money if you are fired with cause. The Hawks won't admit it, but their settlement speaks louder than words. Big ups to Ferry for not being manipulated into resignation; way to stay gangster to the end.

Thirdly, this is a new ownership decision. Shame on Steve Koonin for coming on Atlanta radio and being intellectually dishonest with the people of Atlanta. I could give a rats ass about rather Ressler is official or not. This decision is not made without his blessing. While politically savvy to let the ASG take the blame it's incredibly cowardly. Your a freaking owner you can't be fired grow a pair. A leader should own their decisions the good and bad ones. This tells me he is seeking shielding because he's not as confident in Budcox as everyone is letting on. I guess he doesn't want to be the owner that fired the best thing that's happened to this franchise in 4 decades. Well Mr Ressler I'm not fooled, and your group is officially on the clock. You better move us forward.

Edited by ATLien_
  • Like 2