• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tim Hardaway Jr is a Hawk

ATLHawks3

• Premium Member

I've admitted the THjr acquisition was a bit of a headscratcher. But I'm actually scratching my head much more so this morning over these over-the-top assessments by otherwise seemingly rational posters.

First, "good draft?" That's a definite maybe. Not reading anyone decrying it as a bad draft, but I've also not read anyone chatting it up as a historically excellent one. In fact, the last time I think we read about a draft being historically excellent it was last year, and we can all see now the hyperbole that that proved to be, at least in the short term.

Second, scrub? No one's lauding the guy in terms like his dad, but he's not exactly an end of the bench guy either. Come back to earth, and maybe we can have a better dialogue.

Third, the evidence says that there was a menu of options from which Budcox selected. If any sucker-ing occurred, it was self-deception on Budcox' part, and nothing that the Knicks did... not much time for salesmanship from the other team when you're on a clock.

Finally, the insistence that there is some absolute certainty that one's prediction of the outcome of this deal (and, by implication, of the lack of intelligence of the people who made) is foregone conclusive fact... as-if the person making the prediction has credentials that ought to make Budcox and Hawks fans in general sit up and take notice... is disconnected from reality. It really is.

Some will dig back in the archives and call me a hypocrite on this one, and that is fair. But the lesson is that the reasonableness of humility sometimes takes awhile to take root. (And, needless to say, I'm still working on that one.)

This is a messageboard for fans to give opinions. No one needs to preface every post with "I may be wrong and I have no front office experience so please take my thoughts on the matter in the proper light".

• Like 1

LOL 90% of the roster is already made up of shooters. Everyone can damn shoot on this team, look how far that got us against the Cavs. There is a serious talent defiency on this roster and you trade for THJR because he can shoot?!?! No hope for this franchise, unless we get Marc Gasol or LMA this offseason is a failure.

His defining skill is he's a good scorer who can score in a lot of different ways. He has a lot of potential. That much was clear in NY but he's one dimensional like Korver. The difference is Korver is elite at his one dimension, THJr is a work in progress. Like I said, at worse he's a 9th man production wise who can score and play a little team D. At best, he's an All Star in the mold of Michael Finley. His ceiling is high and his future can be bright. Who knows? 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

His defining skill is he's a good scorer who can score in a lot of different ways. He has a lot of potential. That much was clear in NY but he's one dimensional like Korver. The difference is Korver is elite at his one dimension, THJr is a work in progress. Like I said, at worse he's a 9th man production wise who can score and play a little team D. At best, he's an All Star in the mold of Michael Finley. His ceiling is high and his future can be bright. Who knows? 

He is not a "good scorer" by any stretch. Inefficient volume shooter <> good scorer. Not to mention he gives zero effort on defense, despite being almost 6'7" he can't rebound and he has no handles.

Oh well, nothing we say on the squawk will change that trade just like nothing changed drafting Superbust Marvin or Shellhead or Childress.

• Premium Member

This is a messageboard for fans to give opinions. No one needs to preface every post with "I may be wrong and I have no front office experience so please take my thoughts on the matter in the proper light".

The reduction to the absurd comeback notwithstanding, all I'm suggesting is that dialing it back if only so much as to seem to be attempting a level of objectivity might be worth considering if your purpose is to write something actually somewhat persuasive to your point of view.

• Premium Member

He is not a "good scorer" by any stretch. Inefficient volume shooter <> good scorer. Not to mention he gives zero effort on defense, despite being almost 6'7" he can't rebound and he has no handles.

Oh well, nothing we say on the squawk will change that trade just like nothing changed drafting Superbust Marvin or Shellhead or Childress.

(like I said)

I agree but his potential to be an efficient scorer is there. .350 3PT%, 81% FT%, good shooting mechanics, and good size. This is a draft day trade for a division winning playoff team and I do not see anyone at 15 or later with more potential to contribute this coming season that's better than Hardaway.

If we were looking at three to five years down the road, maybe the smart move is to reach for a college player. But three to five years from now, Horford, Millsap, and Teagues windows will be closing.

Edited by Buzzard

I like how people are writing off everyone drafted at 15 or later but others get flamed for writing off THJ who has shown that he isnt anything and was drafted at 24.

Edited by Static
  • Like 1

How is the future being mortgaged in acquiring an 23 year old player with 2 years of NBA experience.. Smh

2 years of experience showing that is ceiling is a J.R Smith and even then he'll need a decade to get that good. We could have drafted a guy that would have developed nicely and not be tainted by cancerous Knicks + whatever baggage he already has.

I remember Hardaway Jr. having a huge game vs the Hawks in Atlanta in his rookie year. If I'm not mistaken, the game was nationally televised on ESPN. He got really hot for stretches during the game and ended up with 20+points. If this didn't happen then I might have dreamed it but I'm kind of sure it did.

I remember Hardaway Jr. having a huge game vs the Hawks in Atlanta in his rookie year. If I'm not mistaken, the game was nationally televised on ESPN. He got really hot for stretches during the game and ended up with 20+points. If this didn't happen then I might have dreamed it but I'm kind of sure it did.

We've always had random wing players get fire hot against us.

• Premium Member

Sure. Bad drafting by past Hawks gems devalues the entire draft. F Tony Parker and Kawhi Leonard.

I love how we keep coming up with the exceptions to the rules.   Yes, we can find some players in the mid and late first.  But that's not been our history.  Hell, Payne, Bebe, Dennis under Ferry... Only Dennis has stuck.  that's 1/3 of our midrounders... but ok... every midrounder is supposed to be Kawhi Leonard or Tony Parker...  Really?  I'm sorry... I like in reality where I see all the midrounders.  I know that your five times more likely to pull out an Acie Law than a Tony Parker.  But you can write the story of how we passed over the next Kawhi Leonard and such...  It reads well to the pessimist.

• Like 1

I love how we keep coming up with the exceptions to the rules.   Yes, we can find some players in the mid and late first.  But that's not been our history.  Hell, Payne, Bebe, Dennis under Ferry... Only Dennis has stuck.  that's 1/3 of our midrounders... but ok... every midrounder is supposed to be Kawhi Leonard or Tony Parker...  Really?  I'm sorry... I like in reality where I see all the midrounders.  I know that your five times more likely to pull out an Acie Law than a Tony Parker.  But you can write the story of how we passed over the next Kawhi Leonard and such...  It reads well to the pessimist.

Its way too early to call it on Bebe and Payne. Both have played 1 nba season. 

• Premium Member

That's true.  However, the same man that shipped them out is the same man that got his team to the ECF and won more games that this franchise has ever won.

I don't trust a lot of things, but I will trust him.

• Like 1

So why isn't it too early to call it on THJR - just asking. (And Payne is older).