• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hardaway says he will bring defense

capstone21

Offensively he can be star in our system and I've been saying that since day one...all he need to do is improve his shot selection and just take smart shots, roll to the goal when need be, and keep the ball moving!

Defensively I'm worried but I'm glad he knows he's not going to get any major playing time unless he improves in this area. Let's be real if he improves drastically in defense he's a sure starter...maybe not right now but one of these days. I think his offense is going to click right away similar to Leonard I really do but again his offense isn't what most are worried about and you can even tell that the coaching staff is more concerned about his defense.

On another note I can tell THJ has already realized that there's no need and there will be NO hero ball in ATL....I'm excited about this guy.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

I expect him to do really well in our system coming off the bench and best case scenario become our Manu Ginobali. Style of play wise he kind of plays like a Jamal Crawford Lou Williams type. Its all a matter of him buying in to our style and culture.

I expect him to do really well in our system coming off the bench and best case scenario become our Manu Ginobali. Style of play wise he kind of plays like a Jamal Crawford Lou Williams type. Its all a matter of him buying in to our style and culture.

Yeah many compared his offense to jr smith even giving him the nickname baby jr but thank goodness bud got his hands on him early in his career! It's hard to break guys like Lou, Crawford, & JR Smith from their iso habits but since THJ is only two years in bud should be able to mold him and turn him into a complete offensive player who can be efficient, a team player...all while not being a ball hog.

The good thing is this...in my opinion I think THJ iso potential can be the best on this team even better than sap and Teague. But he has to become a better decision maker and team player before bud will trust him with iso duties if the team needs someone to depend on....but that's future talk I'm not expecting such a thing this season or even next but THJ should grow into one hell of an offensive talent under bud and staff

I actually think THJr will learn to play good defense. It really is a matter of effort and understanding which way he needs to turn his guy. He'll never be a lock-down guy, but just play with full effort within the team's defensive concepts and he'll be just fine.

• Like 1

His dad was never a great defender, but I would've thought Fisher would lay some groundwork for giving more effort on that end. Very good athlete, he doesn't lack any tools to be solid although his length isn't as notable as Bud prefers.

Sefalosha's tutelage will be key for he, Holiday, and Patterson. Bazemore's defense is already plus, just has to get stronger in the post.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

This is the one thing that really has me excited about the new season.  I liked the trade and I think it'll pay off if he can fit into how we play.  Like I said during the summer though, we should find that out fairly quickly.  This team is not about selfishness or bullshit effort...on either end of the court.

This is the one thing that really has me excited about the new season.  I liked the trade and I think it'll pay off if he can fit into how we play.  Like I said during the summer though, we should find that out fairly quickly.  This team is not about selfishness or bullshit effort...on either end of the court.

I don't think it'll be an issue. He took a backseat to Trey Burke in college under a good coach, now he's got a good coach again (jury's out on Fisher).

• Like 1

• Moderators

Glad to see him recognizing the need for improvement on D.  Hopefully he will improve his shooting and his D significantly from last season.  He should have a much better system around him to do both than he had last year.

THJr will be the best acquisition of the offseason, and produce the most results. All the "but for the 15th pick!" talk will quietly go away and never be mentioned again. Except from crow chefs ;)

• Like 1

I actually think THJr will learn to play good defense. It really is a matter of effort and understanding which way he needs to turn his guy. He'll never be a lock-down guy, but just play with full effort within the team's defensive concepts and he'll be just fine.

Exactly.  I'd rather have a guy with good offensive talent and the willingness to play D than vice versa. 

Offensive talent can't be taught but defense can.  All it takes is a willingness with the right environment and system in place.  He'll be fine.  As long as he's not a major crutch (worst case Mike Scott is what I see) then I would think most of us would be happy with it.

• Moderators

A paper bag can play better d then Lou or JC

They both outplayed THJ the last two seasons according to the numbers.  Rooting for him to improve but he starts in a pretty deep hole so the improvement will need to be very substantial.  He has the frame and athleticism to be a competent defender so I'm not sure why he has been quite as terrible as he has to date.  I do know that Korver is a great one to teach given that his tools aren't amazing by any means but he has developed into a very solid defender because his BBIQ is outstanding.

A paper bag can play better d then Lou or JC

Very true, but you may be missing my point...

Edited by hazer

They both outplayed THJ the last two seasons according to the numbers.  Rooting for him to improve but he starts in a pretty deep hole so the improvement will need to be very substantial.  He has the frame and athleticism to be a competent defender so I'm not sure why he has been quite as terrible as he has to date.  I do know that Korver is a great one to teach given that his tools aren't amazing by any means but he has developed into a very solid defender because his BBIQ is outstanding.

THJr will be hanging around Korver, Thabo, and Bazemore. He won't be able to avoid improving his D, simply by association...

• Like 1