• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Andrelton Simmons traded to the Angels

ATLHawks3

14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Way to totally wreck a franchise that was one of the most highly regarded for two decades.    Can we trade the braves to winnipeg and get the thrashers back?

I mean, we're not dumb.  We know the farm system had to be replenished, but my goodness do it over a longer time span.  IIUC it's been 17 trades in the last 12 months or something like that.  There was no need to go scorched Earf on us.  That's only a recipe for success if you're GM'ing baseball on Nintendo.  

The way they've gone about things it's as if there was some behavioral cancer spreading through the clubhouse.  No, I'm not saying that was the case.  I'm saying their actions seem to be those of a front office trying to rid the team of a bad culture.  I never got that sense from any of the guys they've traded which makes this process even more strange.  I know Fredro is an incompetent manager (as evidenced by his stupidly not resigning from this madness) but just fire him.  Any rando manager could've kept the team relatively competitive during a rebuild if they hadn't jettisoned all the halfway decent players.  It's not like the #1 pick in baseball is all that coveted anyway.  Certainly not to the extent that it is in basketball or football.  Tanking doesn't help all that much.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I mean, we're not dumb.  We know the farm system had to be replenished, but my goodness do it over a longer time span.  IIUC it's been 17 trades in the last 12 months or something like that.  There was no need to go scorched Earf on us.  That's only a recipe for success if you're GM'ing baseball on Nintendo.  

The way they've gone about things it's as if there was some behavioral cancer spreading through the clubhouse.  No, I'm not saying that was the case.  I'm saying their actions seem to be those of a front office trying to rid the team of a bad culture.  I never got that sense from any of the guys they've traded which makes this process even more strange.  I know Fredro is an incompetent manager (as evidenced by his stupidly not resigning from this madness) but just fire him.  Any rando manager could've kept the team relatively competitive during a rebuild if they hadn't jettisoned all the halfway decent players.  It's not like the #1 pick in baseball is all that coveted anyway.  Certainly not to the extent that it is in basketball or football.  Tanking doesn't help all that much.

Honestly I think the big "forget you" to the city of Atlanta is no small part of this.   The last thing they want is some overachievers sniffing the playoffs before their triumphant debut in Cobb.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Honestly I think the big "forget you" to the city of Atlanta is no small part of this.   The last thing they want is some overachievers sniffing the playoffs before their triumphant debut in Cobb.

I absolutely agree and it's why I keep saying that karma will not be kind to them going forward.  This is like the ultimate cut off your head to spite your face move IMHO.

Funny thing is, probably the best thing to happen would be to have a rootable team like that heading into the new place.  As is, they'll probably have a few weeks of sellouts due to the novelty.  Once that wears off and the losing persists, we'll basically be the Marlins.  Big shiny new empty stadium.

If they think folks will keep coming despite the losing, they hired the wrong focus group.  Cobb may not be in Atlanta but it's still in Atlanta.  The fans that didn't show up to Turner Field, won't show up to the Cobb place either.

He's  one of the finest defensive short stops in the majors.  His hitting leaves a lot to be desired.  He had three homers

fairly early in the season.  At season's end, he had three.

Will we miss his defense?  Yes!  But remember this, Braves lost a lot of games last season with him in the lineup.  They

can just as easily lose them next season without him.  A loss is a loss, no matter how you measure it.

The heart and life blood is the minor league teams.  If the pipeline is empty, you are doomed.  Braves pipeline has been

leaking for a long time.  They tried, without success, to trade off their minor league players for a "right now" fix and it

didn't work.  They lost so much of their better prospects and didn't get any great players in return.

Finally, someone has figured it out.  Get enough great prospects in the minors and some of them, but not all, will

become great players in the majors.

"Lord, give me patients and give it to me now!"  Nope.  That doesn't work. 

One of the very best defensive players.  Yes!  But, watching the Braves last season, when he came to bat, you got what

you expected.  Not a lot.

Braves are building the farm.  This takes time and remember this, "To make an omelet, you must break some eggs."  To

re stock the farm, you must get rid of some of the fans favorite players.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post?id=11628

Interesting article here and worth reading.

At this point the Braves just need to go all in. It is time to trade Nick and Freeman. I would hold onto Shelby and Julio. I know Julio didn't have the best of years. I am still high on him.

I like the pitcher we got back, but his potential is no where near that of Andrelton. We're talking about a guy, once it's all said and done, going to Cooperstown to be inducted as the best defensive player in the history of the sport. 

Are all they're getting pitching prospects?

I know they're trying to recreate the Smoltz, Glavine, Maddox pitching, but as good as they were Braves lost the important games because they had no bats, no scoring.

#Wait'TilCobb

On 11/13/2015, 9:42:58, macdaddy said:

Absolutely it is. It is a big, collective, Stone Cold Steve Austin-style 'eff you' the Braves are serving to Kasim Reed and City Hall for not pandering to them the way Cobb County eventually did. Remember when they were nearly .500 just before the All-Star break; what happened? They quickly traded Alex Wood and a few others to ensure that they weren't remotely competitive the rest of the way. Coincidence? I think not. And I don't think it was a coincidence that most of this 'rebuilding' plan got under way after they announced that they were headed to the suburbs; after telling the entire world that they weren't after the 2014 season ended.

Never mind that they got to play in not just one but TWO stadiums (AFCS and Turner Field) without having to put a single dime into their construction. While some blame can be sent to City Hall for not doing anything to the area surrounding Turner Field for the last 50 years (detonating it and starting over would've been a start but I digress), from what I've heard, the Braves wanted full control over the bidding process and what was actually built around Turner Field, which last I checked, couldn't happen since the City and Fulton County owns it. 

And as much as the Braves (and their fans who are not in the know) cried endlessly about the Falcons getting a new place downtown, Arthur Blank and the league is putting over a BILLION DOLLARS on the line to build MBS, while 'only' $200M is coming from motel/hotel taxes; I'll bet the folks in Minneapolis, who are putting up close to half a billion in taxpayer funds for U.S. Bank Stadium to be constructed, would be more than willing to trade terms. I wonder how much $$$ will Cobb County taxpayers be on the hook for when it's all said and done? And please, spare me the Falcons' PSL story because you have a choice whether to put your own $$$ up to buy them; you don't get as much leeway with your property tax bill.

I've stated this before and I will again here; I have a bad feeling that this isn't going to end very well. A very bad feeling. Trading established players for unknowns and hoping to do something in the draft? Isn't that what got Billy Knight in so much hot water with us for years? Isn't that what got the Thrashers packing to head north when Don Waddell was finished running them into the ground (the unnamed ownership group notwithstanding)? When will they learn????

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

This is yet another brain dead trade forced on brain dead front office by a cold, uncaring corporation that wants the Braves run on a shoe string budget.

We traded the best defensive player in baseball, by a large margin, for nothing. We already  have a ton of pitching prospects. We have zero offense and almost zero proven MLB players. I refuse to watch this garbage.

• Like 1