• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does anybody rationally think this team is going anywhere?

DocWilkins

But to answer the original question.  No I think this team was a feel good story last season that played way above their heads.  It was an exciting run, but once the playoffs started they showed their true form.  Struggled against a bad Brooklyn team.  Limped by a Wizards team who was missing John Wall for like half the series.  ECF were a crap show from the opening tip. Now to the present day.  Bud is in over his head as a GM/coach.  Questionable personnel decisions all off season have resulted in a roster that overall has gotten worse or best case stayed the same.  Are the Hawks a bad team?  No they aren't bad at all, but they aren't a great team either.  They are good sometimes, but generally speaking they are average on most nights.  In my opinion they are a very flawed team and have too many issues that need to be addressee for them to ever be a legit title team.  Moreover they don't have any building blocks either.  The core is good, but aging.  There are no young pups to build a future upon.  I see the Hawks future as bleak as anyone's in the league.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HorfordFTW said:

I may be off based but I truly feel like we can't get to a level we need to be until we get a wing player that can be that guy we need to get "that" bucket. I mean we have some firsts and could potentially use teague or Schröder for it but just from last playoffs and the time watched this season.

We get ahead of teams. Go on a cold streak for 2-3 mins and then teams come back and we are in a close fight till the end.

If we had that guy who could get a bucket when the team needs it most it would help. 

What do u guys think

A Bradley Beal would be good for this team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

If I were team owner I would be getting some input to wth is going on out on the court.  In addition need to get rid of some of the scrubs we have.   We have no legit 3 on the roster, but we gotta a lot of 2s that cant shoot.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Let's wait for this team to be fully healthy before we jump out of the bandwagon. It doesn't look good early on, but let's consider that we are STILL really early on in the season. Nobody saw us blowing up last year,  and there is still a chance it can happen this year.  If it can happen when the playoffs roll around well then, who knows what can happen?  Obviously a fully Cleveland team are gonna be an incredibly tall order for any team on the east to beat; and obviously barring a series of major injuries nobody is challenging the Warriors who are off to the best start in NBA history, but we could still make some noise, no reason to give up on what Koonin and Bud have built just yet. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, HorfordFTW said:

I may be off based but I truly feel like we can't get to a level we need to be until we get a wing player that can be that guy we need to get "that" bucket. I mean we have some firsts and could potentially use teague or Schröder for it but just from last playoffs and the time watched this season.

We get ahead of teams. Go on a cold streak for 2-3 mins and then teams come back and we are in a close fight till the end.

If we had that guy who could get a bucket when the team needs it most it would help. 

What do u guys think

I think Thabo, Baze, and Korver are that guy.  I even like Patterson in that mix too.    I just think we have to gel.  Some of that will come with getting healthy and playing games together.   Last years team had good chemistry because they were the same guys as the year before.  This year, we've made some changes.. Some chemistry changed and we have to compensate.  However, when we're cooking, only Cleveland and GS can beat us.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Alex said:

But to answer the original question.  No I think this team was a feel good story last season that played way above their heads.  It was an exciting run, but once the playoffs started they showed their true form.  Struggled against a bad Brooklyn team.  Limped by a Wizards team who was missing John Wall for like half the series.  ECF were a crap show from the opening tip. Now to the present day.  Bud is in over his head as a GM/coach.  Questionable personnel decisions all off season have resulted in a roster that overall has gotten worse or best case stayed the same.  Are the Hawks a bad team?  No they aren't bad at all, but they aren't a great team either.  They are good sometimes, but generally speaking they are average on most nights.  In my opinion they are a very flawed team and have too many issues that need to be addressee for them to ever be a legit title team.  Moreover they don't have any building blocks either.  The core is good, but aging.  There are no young pups to build a future upon.  I see the Hawks future as bleak as anyone's in the league.  

B.S. Alex.  The league is about to throw GS a parade for winning 16 straight.  Well Last year we won 19 straight.  That is not LUCK... That is not fairy dust... we beat teams with a certainty.  The chemistry has changed this year, but last year was no fluke.

• Premium Member

This team has 2 problems...They can't shoot or rebound on a consistent basis.  Our ball movement is great which leads to open shots consistently but we don't shoot it well at all.  Our rebounding issues don't need to be discussed because y'all know how I feel about Bud and his approach to rebounding.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

B.S. Alex.  The league is about to throw GS a parade for winning 16 straight.  Well Last year we won 19 straight.  That is not LUCK... That is not fairy dust... we beat teams with a certainty.  The chemistry has changed this year, but last year was no fluke.

Well whatever it was they ran out of it in April and lost all of it a month later.  

4 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Looked pretty good tonight; maybe a little early to start waiving the white flag eh Hawksquawk???

They did look good tonight but these are not your Daddy's Boston Celtics either! The Hawks should handle this group handily and not a big deal. 

Much better effort and that was good to see! 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:

We still got issues. I don't think we're going anywhere without a starting SF. Bazemore isn't the answer. Sefolosha would be the best option at the moment, but he's still working himself back.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Tonight, we were halfway healthy.  I think a rotation with Sef and Baze may be the answer.   Let's wait and see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DocWilkins said:

They did look good tonight but these are not your Daddy's Boston Celtics either! The Hawks should handle this group handily and not a big deal. 

Much better effort and that was good to see! 

45 wins.....first round exit. This team won 60 games last season, and got exposed. Barkley is right. No legit paint game, no chip. I fell asleep on the game last night. Who cares about these empty wins in the regular season? The hawks are the braves 2.0. Regular season champs, post season flops... .

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

45 wins.....first round exit. This team won 60 games last season, and got exposed. Barkley is right. No legit paint game, no chip. I fell asleep on the game last night. Who cares about these empty wins in the regular season? The hawks are the braves 2.0. Regular season champs, post season flops... .

So the league is rigged in favor of the Cavs AND the hawks are flops.    It would seem like the rigging would make it very difficult not to flop.   

If anyone thinks there hasn't been a culture change since Bud got here just look at our standard now.   ECF is considered post season flopping.    We were #2 in the regular season and #4 in the playoffs.   Yeah we really suck.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

So the league is rigged in favor of the Cavs AND the hawks are flops.    It would seem like the rigging would make it very difficult not to flop.   

If anyone thinks there hasn't been a culture change since Bud got here just look at our standard now.   ECF is considered post season flopping.    We were #2 in the regular season and #4 in the playoffs.   Yeah we really suck.  

Maybe we just misunderstand the rigging.  The league was rigged for us for a time last season, then it was rigged against us, then it was rigged just enough for us to make the ECF, then was rigged for the Cavs, then the league decided they no longer wanted it rigged for the Cavs so they rigged it for the Warriors but, to do that, they had to go back and rig it against the Clippers' stars, rig it for the Rockets stars, then rig it so the Warriors won but not by too much (can't make it look too obvious).

So technically, since it was rigged for us at one point, we are flops ... I think.

31 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Maybe we just misunderstand the rigging.  The league was rigged for us for a time last season, then it was rigged against us, then it was rigged just enough for us to make the ECF, then was rigged for the Cavs, then the league decided they no longer wanted it rigged for the Cavs so they rigged it for the Warriors but, to do that, they had to go back and rig it against the Clippers' stars, rig it for the Rockets stars, then rig it so the Warriors won but not by too much (can't make it look too obvious).

So technically, since it was rigged for us at one point, we are flops ... I think.

tumblr_mpj14sCXFw1rryf7jo2_r1_400.gif

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Boston had a point differential of close to +5 before our butt whooping.  They aren't my grandfather's Celtics but they aren't exactly chopped liver. If we play like we did last night we will beat almost any team. But sure, let's panic and look at the negatives instead.  Let's ignore all the reasons to believe that we will be getting better as the season goes along, such as Korver and Sef continuing to get into better shape, the potential for our young wings (Baze, Holiday, Paterson, Hardaway) to develop into key contributors, Edy Tavares slowly working himself up the rotation, the odds that Thiago and Schröder start picking up their games considering they are both playing at well below the level they did one year ago, Teague getting healthy etc.

This team started 8-1, is currently on pace for 51 wins despite just going through one of its worst slumps in the last two years while dealing with key injuries. This is still largely the same team as last year - Carroll, and while obviously he is a  a nice player, let's not act like he is not replaceable. Thabo and Baze are both putting up PERs equal to or better than Carroll did last year and Thabo is a much better defender.  Hawks fans complain about the national media overlooking us, but at the first sign of trouble it seems like its the fans that are the first to turn on this team.