• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How About Rudy Gay

RedDawg#8

I'm not one to start these trade topics but I haven't seen anybody mention his name or even the Kings in any trade scenario's. He is reportedly on the table for the right deal of course. His contract is in the 13 million range for now with a couple of years left.

I like the idea of getting him because he addresses many needs in one package:

1. At 6'8 230 he is a true SF that could matchup with the bigger 3's we often complain about.

2. He is a scorer, both a shooter and slasher, who can create his own shot from the wing position and get to the foul line.

3. He is a good rebounder for his position and averages the same rebounds per game (7) as our beloved starting center.

4. Provides veteran leadership, playoff experience and Team USA gold medal pedigree

5. He is still young, healthy, great value contract and no red flags character wise to suggest he wouldn't fit in with us.

6. It wouldn't cost us a lot to get him, we could keep our core intact if we wanted to.

The one knock on him would be that he isn't a strong defender but he isn't a liability either, in short he would be better than Kyle anD THJ.

I think our lineup would drastically improve if you add him to it. The question is what would we give up. Also would we want to package one of their bigs like Kosta Koufos or Cauley-Stein at the expense of more roster over haul.

I think we can ship Splitter and filler to get him straight up. If we are really looking to trade Teague then it may cost us him as well. The options are limitless honestly. Id be willing to part ways with serveral of our young guns who ride the bench and maybe a draft pick if need be.

What do you guys think?

• Like 2

I like him. He's not the iso player he was in Toronto any more, but it is good to have someone aboard who can do that from time to time. Millsap is often put in iso-mode when plays dont run smoothly and is asked to do to much for a human body. Which is also why his accuracy drops in 4th quarters.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

I've never been a Rudy Gay fan, however if he can be ADDED to our core pieces it makes some sense.

To match salaries and and keep the core, it'll be something like Splitter and Mack for Gay, but then is Moose and/or Edy ready to play backup center.

Maybe if we can also snag WCS (highly unlikely) for an added 1st round pick (lottery protected) or the future pick from Minny.

The new lineup would be:

1. Teague, Korver, Gay, Sap, Horf

2. Schröder,  Baze, Thabo, Scott, Moose/Edy or if we get WCS.

7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Why would Sac want Splitter and Mack though?

My point exactly. Switching out a starter with the required matching salary for Gay doesn't do much for me. That player would be Teague but they don't need him. The other option would be for Sac to re-route Teague to another team for what they need (I haven't checked possibilities).

What exactly are the Kings looking for in trade?

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My point exactly. Switching out a starter with the required matching salary for Gay doesn't do much for me. That player would be Teague but they don't need him. The other option would be for Sac to re-route Teague to another team for what they need (I haven't checked possibilities).

What exactly are the Kings looking for in trade?

I'm not sure the Kings even know.

• Moderators

I'd love to have him because we need more real NBA talent.   All players have some flaws.   Maybe Splitter and a pick would do it.   Maybe the Kings just want to get rid of him.    The the question becomes do we like him enough to part with a 1st. 

Just now, macdaddy said:

I'd love to have him because we need more real NBA talent.   All players have some flaws.   Maybe Splitter and a pick would do it.   Maybe the Kings just want to get rid of him.    The the question becomes do we like him enough to part with a 1st. 

Agree with your premise.  I just think other teams have 1sts and young talent to offer SAC if they really want him.  IOW, our package wouldn't be the best out there for them to mull over.

1 minute ago, benhillboy said:

I was typing some bull before I checked his stats and current contract.  In short, hell yeah.  Word is the Clippers have been pursuing him for some time.

I saw that report and that kinda illustrates my point w.r.t. other teams' packages.  LAC could shoot them Lantz and whatever and that would be a better offer than what we could offer (unfortunately).  Hopefully for us (if we want him) they want to ship him out of conference?

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I saw that report and that kinda illustrates my point w.r.t. other teams' packages.  LAC could shoot them Lantz and whatever and that would be a better offer than what we could offer (unfortunately).  Hopefully for us (if we want him) they want to ship him out of conference?

No way Karl wants to coach Rondo, Lance, and Cousins in his twilight years as a coach.     He'd probably take a position with the Washington Generals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

No way Karl wants to coach Rondo, Lance, and Cousins in his twilight years as a coach.     He'd probably take a position with the Washington Generals.

Eddie Johnson (who's kind of a dumber Nique) always talks about Karl not shying away from turmoil.  It's almost like he thrives on it so Lantz to Sacto actually probably works for him.

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Eddie Johnson (who's kind of a dumber Nique) always talks about Karl not shying away from turmoil.  It's almost like he thrives on it so Lantz to Sacto actually probably works for him.

Lol...I actually like listening to Eddie :-) I really liked him as a player with the Suns and Sonics. Awesome shooter.

I think Rudy compounds our issues, he does not address them.  He is very close to our dominant players now.  Good almost great numbers, but his impact is negligible in the playoffs.  He doesn't have reliable shot or scoring ability.   We need a guy who can get 15 free throws if his offense isn't working.   

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Dejay said:

We might just see the first coach to die on a court if he had to deal with Lance, Rondo, and Boogie at the same time. There's only so much a human heart can withstand before signing off for good...

Man.  And they had a chance to add Josh Smith and Markieff too.   They should have gone all in.   Talk about selling tickets!  I'd buy one.

• Like 1