• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Keys beating Cavs next series -Rematch last year playoffs-

Spursfanpeacemaker

• Premium Member
On 1/5/2016 at 2:22 PM, Alex said:

I think part of a key to beating Cleveand is what Detroit did early on in that series.  Play them tough, but at the same time you need to play loose.  Cleveland won that series because of their talent.  They didn't outwork or compete any better than Detroit did.  The Pistons weren't afraid of Cleveland like the Hawks seem to be.  I actually think the Hawks can fare alright this time around.  Take that gritty mentaltity that Detroit used along with the playoff experience the Hawks have and I think we can make this an actual series this time around.

The Hawks were clearly out of sorts during the first couple of games against Cleveland last year. I look for them to be me much more composed this time around.

• Premium Member

I guess Xfinity thought that we had no shot of beating the Celtics in a playoff series. I went to record the game and look who they have playing on channel 841.

Hawks.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

I guess Xfinity thought that we had no shot of beating the Celtics in a playoff series. I went to record the game and look who they have playing on channel 841.

Hawks.png

And they wonder why I went with Android boxes instead of bundling up my internet???

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

Hawks.png

Man.  That's terrible.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

In those videos it looked more like missed open jumpshots than good defense but it's cool 

I think if we are gonna run out our usual starters we have to play an aggressive matchup 3-2 zone.  Funnel Lebron and Kyrie into our bigs who are doing a great job protecting the rim. Let Baze patrol the top against whoever the primary ball handler is and sit Teague and Kyle on the wings to contest the shooters. Rotate the bigs heavy to prevent foul trouble so let's see a lot of Hump, Moose and a little Edy every now and then. Keep Baze and/Thabo on the ball handlers which will almost always be Bron and Kyrie. And if we do ever decide to run man for the love of God don't switch the pick and rolls especially early in the clock. Don't make it easy on then by having Al and Sap stuck on an island on the perimeter and Jeff down low on their bigs. Be aggressive against the moving screens and get back to your man no matter what. 

Good defense makes bad shooters take open shots. That's the whole point of the scheme. Make the role players make the open low percentage shots. If they miss, then we're off on the fast break. If they hit, then we live with it and see how many shots they can knock down. Another key is to keep JR Smith uncomfortable on the weak-side. Our defenders have to push him out of his spots when the ball rotates to the strong side. This means Kyle has to play smart defense and not cheat to the inside.

If we can play disciplined defense, I like our chances. The Cavs aren't that good of a team when they're outside game is off. We should see a heavy dose of Humphreys this series to counteract Tristan Thompsons activity down low. It will be interesting to see Thompson play against another good on blocks.

Since Humphries didn't play against Boston series, I expect him to play this time against Cleveland. Last year hawks had a hard time rebounding against the Cavs. Remember that moment when Lebron became cocky and tried to show off his rebounds?  I really think Kris Humphries could be the X-factor for the hawks, with his physicality helping with boards and versatility to spread out the floor, give more driving lanes. Limiting turnovers are important too, Cavs are a high IQ team, they don't make a lot simple mistakes. Hawks really have to value each possession. Rebounding and limiting turnovers, and containing  Kyrie, Lebron, and Love. You can't stop them so you just try to contain them and make it tough for them.  If hawks do those things they will be in the ball game and have better chances beating the Cavs

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker
  • Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Spursfanpeacemaker said:

Since Humphries didn't play against Boston series, I expect him to play this time against Cleveland. Last year hawks had a time rebounding against the Cavs. Remember that moment when Lebron became cocky and tried to show off his rebounds?  I really think Kris Humphries could the X-factor for the hawks, with his physicality helping with boars and versatility to spread out the floor, give more driving lanes. Limiting turnovers are important too, Cavs are a high IQ team, they don't make a lot simple mistakes. Hawks really have to value each possession

That's the promising thing.  We were pretty hobbled last year.  We're reasonably healthy now.    WE have Humphries and Thabo, Scott, Dennis, Baze all vastly improved over last year's playoffs and we have THj who can hopefully provide something.   That's a huge difference from last year.   Of course they have Love and Irving.  

We've got to shoot lights out but i think we'll be more competitive than last year.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, willthepureshooter said:

Oh yeah, I wonder how Bud will manager Schröder during this series. The kid has to become mentally strong and not get sucked into the personal scuffs. Hinrich will log minutes this series.

He could do some growing up for sure but I can guarantee Kobe, Lebron and a lot of other championship players would get sucked into a situation (i.e., start talking trash, get in their face and/or embarrass them) where another player hit them in the face twice (not just a bump in the post but out of action just smack to the face).  The NBA just doesn't usually let someone get away with crap like IT did.  #onlythehawks

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, AHF said:

He could do some growing up for sure but I can guarantee Kobe, Lebron and a lot of other championship players would get sucked into a situation (i.e., start talking trash, get in their face and/or embarrass them) where another player hit them in the face twice (not just a bump in the post but out of action just smack to the face).  The NBA just doesn't usually let someone get away with crap like IT did.  #onlythehawks

And was there no fine or anything for threatening Dennis on the way off the court?   I mean it was on mic.   What a joke. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cam1218 said:

Hawks.png

Wow, the disrespect  is real.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

giphy.gif

As long as Dennis's head is in  the game and he's doing what he's supposed to do I  don't care how much he trash talks.  Cuz I'm sure the other teams are doing it.  Don't be bullied on the court.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

I think a lot of NBA pundits are angry that this rematch happened. It just "feels" that way.

It's not a feeling -it's actual hate that the Hawks beat the Selts.