• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do you think that a team can win a championship with Jeff Teague as their 1st or 2nd best player?

Lurker

Thread title  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thing is - we have 2 PGs - neither of which are showing "championship level" stuff.   So take a pick.  Dennis is still young, wild and overly energetic and doesn't get the ball where it needs to be and makes stupid turnovers.

Jeff is much more controlled, but he isn't a brilliant passer by any means.  He does good when things are going his way but he gets lackadaisical and is no where near a true top level PG.

(let's remember - Jeff was taken by us as the 7th PG pick in a heavily loaded PG draft class - he was actually an undersized shooting guard).

So...

What do you do?

I would trade Jeff Teague if there is any value and go with Dennis.  Actually I'm no real fan of Dennis and it could be the PG that can really get the job done is not currently on our roster;.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Diesel said:
2 hours ago, DJlaysitup said:

Thing is - we have 2 PGs - neither of which are showing "championship level" stuff.   So take a pick.  Dennis is still young, wild and overly energetic and doesn't get the ball where it needs to be and makes stupid turnovers.

Jeff is much more controlled, but he isn't a brilliant passer by any means.  He does good when things are going his way but he gets lackadaisical and is no where near a true top level PG.

(let's remember - Jeff was taken by us as the 7th PG pick in a heavily loaded PG draft class - he was actually an undersized shooting guard).

So...

What do you do?

I would trade Jeff Teague if there is any value and go with Dennis.  Actually I'm no real fan of Dennis and it could be the PG that can really get the job done is not currently on our roster;.

I hold this same viewpoint.  The point is trading for value.   I would trade both of them for value.   If it were Dennis for Noel.  Cool.  After that if it were Teague for Gay... Great.  Then let's bring in  some combination like Jermi Lin and DJ Augustin or something like that.     But let's get usable value that makes us better.   Not just trading for a guy who will remain a BU for the Next 4 years.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Sothron said:

We've seen teams with a great PG win a title or come close so ppl saying CP3/Lillard/Westbrook aren't wrong. Teague is nowhere in that category.

The key word Sothron is TEAM.

Westbrook has been to the finals, with a strong team.  CP3 Nor Lillard has gotten as far as Teague has gotten, yet they are considered more talented.   The team makes the difference.  The right team around Rondo and he wins the championship.  The wrong team around Rondo and he's the best PG in the league but he's at home for the start of the playoffs.   The original question was a DUMB question that was conceived from too much NBA2k16 and not enough  knowledge of Basketball.   Moreover, it comes from a person who has no understanding of the team game or basketball or how the Spurs play.

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Westbrook has been to the finals, with a strong team.  CP3 Nor Lillard has gotten as far as Teague has gotten, yet they are considered more talented.   The team makes the difference.  The right team around Rondo and he wins the championship.  The wrong team around Rondo and he's the best PG in the league but he's at home for the start of the playoffs.   The original question was a DUMB question that was conceived from too much NBA2k16 and not enough  knowledge of Basketball.   Moreover, it comes from a person who has no understanding of the team game or basketball or how the Spurs play.

Rondo isn't that good though. His defense is bad and his shooting is problematic. Add to that, he holds the ball too long like CP3 while not being the player CP3 is to justify it. That might work with elite two way players like Boston had but not with most teams. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Diesel said:

To be fair CP3/Lillard are in a much tougher conference and Teague only made it one round past where they got and was swept. I don't disagree that you need more than a PG to win a title but I'm not exactly sure where you evaluation of Teague is. Do you think he's on the same level as CP3/Lillard/Westbrook?

• Moderators
21 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Lebron.

Now the guy that actually occupied the PG position, waa Mario Chalmers.

But Lebron was the true PG.

This is true but more to the point, Chalmers wasn't close to the best or second best player on those teams.  Teague could easily fill a roll as the 4th or 5th best starter on a championship team.  He in no way possible could be the best or next best player on a team that wins a ring.

If Teague was better this year than last (don't  bother posting any stats)  and improved upon what we saw last year, I don't think we'd  be having these discussions.

I expected him to take more ownership and leadership of the team as a guy right on his prime. He didn't and it was dissapointing.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Rondo isn't that good though. His defense is bad and his shooting is problematic. Add to that, he holds the ball too long like CP3 while not being the player CP3 is to justify it. That might work with elite two way players like Boston had but not with most teams. 

Yet... Rondo has a ring and CP3, Westbrook, Andre Miller,  doesn't.   Avery Freaking Johnson has Rings.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

To be fair CP3/Lillard are in a much tougher conference and Teague only made it one round past where they got and was swept. I don't disagree that you need more than a PG to win a title but I'm not exactly sure where you evaluation of Teague is. Do you think he's on the same level as CP3/Lillard/Westbrook?

My point is that the evaluation of the PG is inconclusive if you're not considering their role on the team. 

Steph Curry is not the defender that Westbrook is.  Nor is he the In the paint scorer that Westbrook is.  However, Steph is the unanimous MVP and I don't know if Westbrook got a vote. Curry fits the system he plays in very well.   

Last year, Teague fit our system very well.   We had different personnel.   This year, with different personnel people get excited by a guy who can play Iso ball better and disappointed that Teague doesn't play Isoball as well.     It's like asking Steph to be the PG in OKC and to get a majority of his points the same way that Westbrook does.  Our asking Westbrook to be a PG in GS and telling him to get a majority of his points the same way that Steph does...

Somewhere you will start to see that system Matters.

So when everybody starts these evaluations, they are made from the standpoint of what can this guy do one on one... like we were playing a videogame.   NO Care for the fact that this guy is working in a system.. he's a system point guard.  That's why I talk about the knee jerk reaction to this season.

This season.. Teague shot 40% from three in our system.  That's because our system is based on spreading the floor and having your PG be a threat to hit the outside shot.   Does the Hawks fans care about how he fit with our system??    No.. many of them want the Isoballer who shot 32% from 3... because he looked good in a few games where we just abandoned the system.  Well if you're going to abandon the system.. that we have seen can work... then let's fire Bud. Bring in Woody and go back to Isoball.   Somebody sign Joe.   With Joe and Schro... we can do our best Brooklyn imitation.

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, AHF said:

This is true but more to the point, Chalmers wasn't close to the best or second best player on those teams.  Teague could easily fill a roll as the 4th or 5th best starter on a championship team.  He in no way possible could be the best or next best player on a team that wins a ring.

Honestly.. is there  a PG in this league aside from Steph Curry that could?

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Teague shot 40% from three in our system.

That's a fluke buddy. Just like the 60 win season. The only reason why he did was because of standstill shots, he really has to be able to make the three when they go under the pick and he had an awful % on them that suggests he's going to regress next year.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Honestly.. is there  a PG in this league aside from Steph Curry that could?

It is tough to win a championship if your best player is your PG.  Steph and Isiah are the only guys that come to mind for me.  Magic would but his size gave him more versatility and ability to impact the game than any other point so I would consider him free from the usual limits that affect.

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That's a fluke buddy. Just like the 60 win season. The only reason why he did was because of standstill shots, he really has to be able to make the three when they go under the pick and he had an awful % on them that suggests he's going to regress next year.

Really??  So now... Stats are Flukes??

dumb+foolish+woman.JPG

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, AHF said:

It is tough to win a championship if your best player is your PG.  Steph and Isiah are the only guys that come to mind for me.  Magic would but his size gave him more versatility and ability to impact the game than any other point so I would consider him free from the usual limits that affect.

Exactly.

Kyrie is playing next to Lebron.  Maybe he's the 2nd best guy on the team....  Right now I would say.. He's not going to win one.

You have to pull extra hard and find the right team and then you can make that claim which is why this question is just dumb.

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Really??  So now... Stats are Flukes??

Three words: Small Sample Size.

I don't believe one season is ever the trend. Just like I don't believe the Hawks season from 2015 was a trend, I also don't believe Teague's 40% 3 point shooting over a grand total of one season is a trend that will continue.

Edited by Lurker

44 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Three words: Small Sample Size.

I don't believe one season is ever the trend. Just like I don't believe the Hawks season from 2015 was a trend, I also don't believe Teague's 40% 3 point shooting over a grand total of one season is a trend that will continue.

82 games at 30MPG isn't a small sample size.