• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pacer Nation Ragging Hawks...

Diesel

• Premium Member

I've been listening to Pacer Radio most of the morning.  However, Found this on Pacer News.

Jeff Teague for George Hill? That’s a trade you make every day of the week and twice on Sunday, because at some point Indiana Pacers President Larry Bird ought to walk into church and offer a prayer of forgiveness.

Because he just stole from somebody.

Who got ripped off here, the Hawks or Jazz? Don’t know yet. Don’t care, either. Today, what we know for sure is this: The Pacers won.

The Pacers won big.

The Pacers just got younger. They got more aggressive. They got a point guard for Paul George!

Sorry. I seem to be shouting. But today is not a day for subtleties, because this is not a subtle improvement the Pacers just made. Teague and Hill cost the same against the salary cap, but Teague (15.7 points per game, 5.9 assists in 2015-16) is clearly better than Hill (12.1 ppg, 3.5 apg) and — at age 28 — two years younger.

And Teague will make the Pacers more attractive to free agent targets.

Great players want to play with a point guard, and the Pacers just got their best point guard since, um, when? Over the past three seasons Teague has averaged 16 points and 6.5 assists per game. The last time the Pacers had a point guard who could score and create like that? The early 1990s, when it was Vern Fleming and then Micheal Williams running the show.

Paul George has never had a point guard like this. He’s not dependent on someone else to get him shots — he can get a decent shot whenever he wants one — but he sure will enjoy having easy shots handed to him each game. And Teague does that.

I'm not here to blast the Pacers... or to Bias Fans against the trade.  BUT here's the thing I want to ask...

When was the last time our News and Radio (Hawks Media) Stood up and openly patted ourselves on the back like this??  Ever??

Did we pat ourselves on the back with Rumeal for Blaylock??  Damn.  I hope so.  I mean I can't remember the time when Hawks Nation celebrated with one voice.  (we always have dissenters). 

I mean...

Since Pasquerelli  to Vison to Sekou to M. Lee to Vivamore...   I don't remember a time when we stood together and celebrated one thing that that the Hawks did..  Maybe it's Terrance Moore's fault. 

Maybe this is why we have very little true fan following. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Now they tell me....

According to NBA.com statistics, Teague ranked fifth last season in driving, attacking the rim 11.1 times per game. Only Eric Bledsoe (11.7), Isaiah Thomas (11.7), DeMar DeRozan (11.6) and Ish Smith (11.1) did it more — but nobody did it more often on a per-minute basis than Teague, who averaged one drive every 2.6 minutes. George Hill ranked No. 100 at 3.7 drives per game (one every 9.2 minutes).

10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Yeah, that's why?  SMDH.

The real question here is why in the holy heck are you listening to Pacers radio?

• Moderators

I think everyone was behind Al Horford's draft pick.  That was a no-brainer fist pump.

I actually don't see the quotes you posted as ragging the Hawks at all.  Indeed, they literally don't mention the Hawks except to raise the question of whether Utah or Atlanta got the bad end of the deal.

Instead, they are celebrating Teague's arrival.  And they should.  He is a real upgrade over Hill.  They should be excited.  Even if the Hawks hit a homerun with that draft pick, they didn't give it up so it won't be a repeat of the Leonard fiasco.  It will just be giving up on Hill.

• Like 1

They might need to remember they just hired a coach that likes his PG to pound the ball into the ground. Just the same Paul George should be pretty happy for at least one year. Guess Utah wants Hill to help develop Exum. Exum needs a shooting coach attached to his hip as well as he can't even hit a foul shot..

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yeah, that's why?  SMDH.

The real question here is why in the holy heck are you listening to Pacers radio?

Normally, I listen to a range of radio.  Today.. the day after the trade, I was interested in seeing what the other constituients thought.  You know sometimes, it would do you some good to get out of the Hawks Bubble. 

I've been a Hawks fan for years and unlike you (based on your response) I know how much media can sway Fans.   We are a 1 paper town (Atlanta).. and when we don't celebrate anything the Hawks do with 1 voice... what type of fan base do you think we're building? KG.. we have these Homegrown fairweather fans (Not because we're not winning.. hell 9 playoffs in a row), but because our fanbase is cynical.   A big part of that cynicism is the fact that every day on talk radio, the newspaper and yes even the internet, the Hawks are always second guessed.   For the longest time, I suggested that if you want to change the envirionment in Atlanta, you have to first start to take control of the talking heads.     What do you think Cuban did?

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Normally, I listen to a range of radio.  Today.. the day after the trade, I was interested in seeing what the other constituients thought.  You know sometimes, it would do you some good to get out of the Hawks Bubble. 

I've been a Hawks fan for years and unlike you (based on your response) I know how much media can sway Fans.   We are a 1 paper town (Atlanta).. and when we don't celebrate anything the Hawks do with 1 voice... what type of fan base do you think we're building? KG.. we have these Homegrown fairweather fans (Not because we're not winning.. hell 9 playoffs in a row), but because our fanbase is cynical.   A big part of that cynicism is the fact that every day on talk radio, the newspaper and yes even the internet, the Hawks are always second guessed.   For the longest time, I suggested that if you want to change the envirionment in Atlanta, you have to first start to take control of the talking heads.     What do you think Cuban did?

:laugh: Man, you are the most sneaky-mean poster here.  "Unlike me"?  C'mon, sun.  My comment is probably more a testament to the fact that I don't think people should be swayed by "talking heads" who are essentially fans with mics.  They don't have much more knowledge/"sources" than we do so why should their words mean anything to my (or anyone else's) fanhood?

That's truer now than in any other era with the proliferation of the internet.  Nobody gets their news from the paper or the rando local sports guy anymore.  Hell, people don't even get their sports news from Sportscenter anymore.

That said, I do realize the media has a certain 'power'.  I wish the media were generally more pro-Hawks or at least weren't anti-Hawks.  At the end of the day, it's about winning.  That's what Cuban did.  He built a winner.  The media followed that, not the other way around.

24 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The Hawks have earned the cynical  fanbase they have.

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, JSmooooove said:

I'd say the Crawford, Joe, and Marvin trades were pretty much 100% approved by Atlanta and their fans. Everyone celebrated those trades (steals) for sure.

You sir are right.. I think we did celebrate the Crawford Trade...

But Not the Joe trade...

We got pictures to prove it. 

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, kg01 said:

:laugh: Man, you are the most sneaky-mean poster here.  "Unlike me"?  C'mon, sun.  My comment is probably more a testament to the fact that I don't think people should be swayed by "talking heads" who are essentially fans with mics.  They don't have much more knowledge/"sources" than we do so why should their words mean anything to my (or anyone else's) fanhood?

That's truer now than in any other era with the proliferation of the internet.  Nobody gets their news from the paper or the rando local sports guy anymore.  Hell, people don't even get their sports news from Sportscenter anymore.

That said, I do realize the media has a certain 'power'.  I wish the media were generally more pro-Hawks or at least weren't anti-Hawks.  At the end of the day, it's about winning.  That's what Cuban did.  He built a winner.  The media followed that, not the other way around.

I lean more towards reporters than Blog writers or radio personalities but in this day and time.. they are all about the same.   So.. yes, you're right..

No.  Before Cuban built a winner.  He came in and destroyed everything that was there before.. including the media.   Look at the fall out in the Dallas Morning News when Cuban came to town.  He showed how to win hearts and minds.... then he built a winner.  Now.. nobody questions anything that Dallas does.   The Redskin owner used the same tactic when he took over.   I don't know how much of the news he was able to take over but somebody cried about the fact that he was doing it. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I've been listening to Pacer Radio most of the morning.  However, Found this on Pacer News.

I'm not here to blast the Pacers... or to Bias Fans against the trade.  BUT here's the thing I want to ask...

When was the last time our News and Radio (Hawks Media) Stood up and openly patted ourselves on the back like this??  Ever??

Did we pat ourselves on the back with Rumeal for Blaylock??  Damn.  I hope so.  I mean I can't remember the time when Hawks Nation celebrated with one voice.  (we always have dissenters). 

I mean...

Since Pasquerelli  to Vison to Sekou to M. Lee to Vivamore...   I don't remember a time when we stood together and celebrated one thing that that the Hawks did..  Maybe it's Terrance Moore's fault. 

The pacers got more aggressive with Teague? He will make them a more attractive destination for free agents? 

Bwahahaha!!! 

Damn, I didn't realize Hill was THAT bad!

Edited by bird_dirt

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

The pacers got more aggressive with Teague? He will make them a more attractive destination for free agents? 

Bwahahaha!!! 

Damn, I didn't realize Hill was THAT bad!

Yeah... you wouldn't believe it but outside Atlanta, our players get respectk...

I mean, when you look at Teague on Paper.. he's a very good looking PG.   We had our own Big 4 in the estimation of a lot of folks in the league.   However, we spend more time breaking down our players and bringing out there weaknesses constantly that we can't celebrate what we have.    It's the cynical media.   One thing I know is true... for every Hawks teams, the media will always pick out at least one guy and make him a villian.   i think it's because most of our writers (save vivamore) has had their eyes on moving on to a National Spot... Weather it was Pasquerelli, Sekou, Vison, Lee, or radio guys like 2 Live Stews  or others..   so they gave 1/2 a damn about presenting the best part of the Hawks.  Well, Maybe Sekou did.   Who is the Lewis Grizzard of Hawks coverage?

Once our players go to another team they are somehow magically better and more valuable than when  they were Hawks.  It's always the same narrative. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Once our players go to another team they are somehow magically better and more valuable than when  they were Hawks.  It's always the same narrative. 

Actually.. I think our fanbase tries to villify those guys:  JJ, DMC, Crawford...   There was always some negative talk about guys once they leave.   I didn't even mention Smoove and Marvin who prolly deserved it. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I mean...

Teague wins in all t his too. Hometown team and he is just a 90 minute flight from Atlanta.

58 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Any Atlanta team regardless of sport.

6 minutes ago, hawkman said:

....and now they just scored Thad Young for the 20th pick. They are having a really good offseason.

Pacers ain't playing are they.  Bird and Ainge  dont mess around.  Bird bounced that coach up out of there and said enuf is enuf.  

" not for long. "

e455ec7a36e441f686533d4d9e54ea91_crop_no

Edited by Hawkmoor