• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Better not lose Al because of the 5th year

ATLiott

Time for Hawks to just gnash their teeth, pay the Bawse the max on a 5-yr deal, and make the ECFs for the next 3. When the cap escalates again next year, Al's max for 5 will look like a bargain compared to comparable (and inferior) players making $10mil more a year. And becomes a very tradeable deal in a few years. Get. It. Done.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hazer said:

Time for Hawks to just gnash their teeth, pay the Bawse the max on a 5-yr deal, and make the ECFs for the next 3. When the cap escalates again next year, Al's max for 5 will look like a bargain compared to comparable (and inferior) players making $10mil more a year. And becomes a very tradeable deal in a few years. Get. It. Done.

Yup..I mean they already started the process...now finish it off. I can't believe we are even discussing this honestly. Wake up Budcox!

• Premium Member

I've thought all along they should just meet in the middle between the max other teams can offer and the max Atlanta can offer. 5 years, ~$134M.  Even better would be a flat five-year deal for ~$26.5M each year.  Al gets the same total money, but slightly more upfront. The Hawks get less risk on the back end.

Give him the 5 years on a max. It'll already be a bargain in '17-'18, Hawks will be in ECFs, and Budcox will win GM of the Year for having both D12 and Bawse signed to steal deals. Very tradeable ones at that...

Edited by hazer

• Premium Member

Keeping Baze and signing Dwight means we would be crazy to let Horford go unless it is some kind of S&T where we get some parts back that work for us. But if we keep him to go with bringing in Dwight and keeping Baze...whew. That is a very nasty lineup we can throw at people next year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LamarHampton said:

I have never really believed the hype about an issue over the fifth year, I truly can't see Bud making an issue of that. Made up imho. Would be waaaay too silly of a hang up at this point.

Luxury Tax is probably the concern for the owners. Dwight will bring in the ratings if he stays healthy, b/c the media loves the coming home story. BUT, if we get into the Luxury tax and don't win, then we are no better off.

The silver lining is Milsap will opt out next summer anyway so it will be Luxury Tax for one year....We will learn a lot about our new owner in  a few days. He has built a new practice facility, but is he also willing to enter luxury tax threshold for a team.