• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Scott Theory

thecampster

Its time to end the war on drugs. Why cant Mike Scott smoke weed and take MDMA if he wants? Its does not harm anyone else. This notion that drugs have to criminalized for the greater good of society is complete nonsense. Drug illegality causes far more harm be crearting an unregulated, crime ridden black market. We learned this during our nations disterous experiment with alcohol prohibition. Its just incredible how few people  value civil liberties and personal freedoms and buy into drug stigma. Its completely irrational.

• Moderators

Just don't understand how you can not know to get a lawyer before you talk to the police.  I understand he wanted to take responsibility but this type of confession will actually probably make his punishment worse than someone who just denies, denies, denies.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member

So very strange to me, and hopefully I'm not alone, that the truly big Hawks story of Sunday has gotten practically zero.... zero.... media comment/attention. I don't get it.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Just don't understand how you can not know to get a lawyer before you talk to the police.  I understand he wanted to take responsibility but this type of confession will actually probably make his punishment worse than someone who just denies, denies, denies.   

Maybe he wasn't in the best decision-making state at the time he agreed to talk to the police?  I am picturing him being so worried about his brother that he didn't really think logically about it.

6 hours ago, sturt said:

So very strange to me, and hopefully I'm not alone, that the truly big Hawks story of Sunday has gotten practically zero.... zero.... media comment/attention. I don't get it.

I'm still hoping that the Hawks and Scott agreed to extend the deadline silently in the background and that they will be able to make the call with more information -- especially on whether the police would be wiling to settle on a plea deal not involving the MDMA.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 7/9/2016 at 8:16 AM, Brokentree said:

I could be wrong but I believe if a player is "dismissed" from the league his contract can be voided which would make dropping him for fear of him being convicted mute.

On 7/9/2016 at 8:29 AM, sturt said:

Today and tomorrow, Budcox has a window to not guarantee the contract for 2016-17, and recover that $3.3m of space. If instead it is guaranteed, then  yes, it would become a mute... and a moot (*wink*)... point later to discuss the virtue of whether to cut him.... there would be no point salary-cap wise. It'd be dead money.

It remains a possibility that, as @AHF suggested, both sides will ultimately extend the date to some point after his Tuesday arraignment. I can only imagine the only reason they haven't already done so (as have other teams and players in similar circumstance) is b/c.... well.... come to think of it.... I have no clue why.

I think I need to amend this, and for multiple reasons...

1. @Brokentree is more right than I gave credit, and my mistake is in failing to recognize that when I was previously looking at this last off-season, we were going to be limited by cap room or limited by the Room MLE max in trying to replace Scott b/c of the value he has been to the roster in comparison to what it would cost on the market to replace him, or more pragmatically at the time, the lack of any free agent available at that point who could plausibly replace him.

That's not the case right now because we do have cap space that, added to his $3.3m if it disappeared from our ledger, plausibly could allow us to replace him.

2. Something that until now I totally overlooked. And it could potentially be a substantive reason not to release Mike Scott.

Even if we assume the worst, ie that he is dismissed from the league, as his most recent (not to mention only) NBA team, we retain a cap exception that would allow us to sign him for the current $3.3m. Given that he's just 28, he could be a great value. Otoh, depending on who's on the market at the time he would be reinstated and what cap room teams have, there's a good chance we'd have to sign him with cap room like anyone else.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sturt said:

It's really a Tuesday story, and wondering when the court is going to set the date for him to report for trial. Hopefully, the date is in the summer next year.

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

It's really a Tuesday story, and wondering when the court is going to set the date for him to report for trial. Hopefully, the date is in the summer next year.

The legal system is incredibly slow.  crap shoot. 

Edited by DrReality

8 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

"It Wasn't Me... It Wasn't Me..."

~lw3

"Hey..........wasn't me." ~ Eddie Murphy

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, lethalweapon3 said:

So, now if we get to play the game of "That's Not My Molly!" at a trial, and the (jury? judge?) agrees, can the County turn around and prosecute Lil Bro instead?

~lw3

Mini-Kreskin here. :)

That was my earliest inclination. Let's see what happens.