• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Kyle Korver still starts, here's how it's OK

Lurker

Korver starts, plays 4 minutes, and then is subbed out for Prince (I would put Sefolosha in there, but Sefolosha-Bazemore on the wing hasn't worked).

Then, when the second unit on the wing comes in about 5 minutes later, Korver and Sefolosha come in together (with Bazemore being subbed out with 9 mins played in the first quarter) as a tag team and play 7 minutes in a row through the first and second quarters until the first unit comes back in, and then they are subbed out for Bazemore and Prince.

In the second half, the same thing. Korver plays the first 4 minutes, then is subbed out for Prince until the second unit comes in, and the same thing with the first half, Korver and Sefolosha come in as a tag team until the first unit on the wing comes back in. The closing unit on the wing should be Prince/Bazemore.

It keeps Korver as a starter which would have Bud very happy, but pretty much just as an honorary one.

• Like 1

Let me say this like I've said previously - I have no issue with Korver starting - it's all about the total number of minutes he plays.  That number needs to be reduced from what he played last year. /End.

• Moderators

The only issue I have with Korver starting is it pushes Bazemore to defend SFs a lot.  I'd like to maximize Baze's minutes at the 2 with one of Thabo, Prince or Bembry at SF where possible.  I like Lurker's approach in that regard.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

The only issue I have with Korver starting is it pushes Bazemore to defend SFs a lot.  I'd like to maximize Baze's minutes at the 2 with one of Thabo, Prince or Bembry at SF where possible.  I like Lurker's approach in that regard.

Bembry is a half inch taller than Baze with a 2.25 inch smaller wingspan. You aren't getting more size with Bembry on the floor in place of Bazemore.

The three biggest wings we have on the roster are in order: Prince, Thabo, Korver. Thabo is a quarter of an inch shorter than Korver, but has a much larger wingspan and standing reach. And honestly, even though Thabo is a half inch shorter than Prince, he's got Prince beat in both of those area's too.

Baze and Prince are tied for the 2nd largest wingspans for our wings, behind Thabo. And Baze is by far our most athletic and explosive wing. He's fine guarding most small forwards not named Lebron. 

• Like 1

And THJr is what, kicked to the curb?  Bud loves him, so I don't see that plan happening.  Bazemore/Korver starting, Thabo/THJr subbing in, Prince/Bembry with garbage time until midseason. The minutes structure Lurker has works, but sub THJr in for Prince, and then reduce all 4 players by 2 minutes each to give Prince/Bembry 4 minutes each until after midseason or until somebody gets hurt.

No way should Korver start he is too one-dimensional and having his start on a team that will be struggling to score points is plain stupid. We need someone who can get buckets more that one way. If Kyle is cold or being guarded tough he has no use to use at all. 

10 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

He's fine guarding most small forwards not named Lebron.

No he's not. This was proven last season. If it's tried again in a longer period of time than about 10 MPG its going to lead to more regression.

3 minutes ago, cowa said:

And THJr is what, kicked to the curb?  Bud loves him, so I don't see that plan happening.  Bazemore/Korver starting, Thabo/THJr subbing in, Prince/Bembry with garbage time until midseason. The minutes structure Lurker has works, but sub THJr in for Prince, and then reduce all 4 players by 2 minutes each to give Prince/Bembry 4 minutes each until after midseason or until somebody gets hurt.

THJ is not a small forward and is honestly not very good. He should be traded.

21 minutes ago, Lurker said:

No he's not. This was proven last season. If it's tried again in a longer period of time than about 10 MPG its going to lead to more regression.

You keep typing that like it's true. It ain't. In fact, the exact opposite was proven. The Hawks were the 2nd best defensive team in the NBA last season. Baze was a starter on the team that made that happen. Even Korver was a starter on the team that made that happen.

You continue to sound very ignorant, which is the least surprising thing to come out of this thread.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

You keep typing that like it's true. It ain't. In fact, the exact opposite was proven. The Hawks were the 2nd best defensive team in the NBA last season. Baze was a starter on the team that made that happen. Even Korver was a starter on the team that made that happen.

You continue to sound very ignorant, which is the least surprising thing to come out of this thread.

I'm not being ignorant. Check out stats.nba.com. It has the cold, hard facts: Your boy Kent Bazemore did not fit in with the starting lineup and had an average defensive rating.

So all of a sudden, a 100 defensive rating is good. LMFAO. Keep talking up your boy @RandomFan, keep doing it. The cold facts are out there: Kent Bazemore, long term starting small forward is an absolutely horrible idea that is only there because of Bud's love for Kyle Korver.

82games.com says this on Kent Bazemore:

Bazemore as a small forward:

Offensive rating: 92 Defensive rating: 110.8
Net rating per 48: -18.8
Net points: -35

Bazemore as a shooting guard:

Offensive rating: 102.6 Defensive rating: 99.6
Net rating per 48: +2.9
Net points: +121

The cold hard truth is out there @RandomFan. Your guy isn't a SF, should not be classified as one, and him playing more than spot minutes at SF is a HUGE mistake.

Want more?

If I'm reading it right, opponent counterpart says that Bazemore is below average at defending small forwards but well above average at defending shooting guards.

And Bazemore is outproduced easily by small forwards when he's matched up against them.

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, cowa said:

Loves him so much he benched him against the Cavs and for half the year?

I don't think THJr on the last year of his contract warrants extra minutes for Bazemore at SF where he (relative to  his defense at SG) struggles defensively.  Hopefully THJr will continue to develop and become an important part of the rotation but he is not a foundational player for this team in any sense.

Please, please stop being stupid and writing stupid things.

Do you really believe Bud loves Korver unconditionally, he's his daughter and that's why he plays/starts? Again, please...

If you just could read adv stats, it's not so difficult.

I agree he may play less minutes/not start in order to focus and concentrate his game in a shorter time span or to make him play against 2nd units which are usually more distracted, but for basketball' s sake, he's one of our best solutions, not one of the major problems.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, MrYellow said:

Please, please stop being stupid and writing stupid things.

Do you really believe Bud loves Korver unconditionally, he's his daughter and that's why he plays/starts? Again, please...

If you just could read adv stats, it's not so difficult.

I agree he may play less minutes/not start in order to focus and concentrate his game in a shorter time span or to make him play against 2nd units which are usually more distracted, but for basketball' s sake, he's one of our best solutions, not one of the major problems.

His spacing is really important to our offense and he remains quite efficient scoring the ball.  He will still have a major role on the team -- he should just get few minutes (i.e., more rest) and should be benchable when he is being blanketed into irrelevance.  Last year, Bud had no confidence in any other options and that forced him to play Korver too many minutes in a Cleveland series in which he was completely neutralized.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AHF said:

Loves him so much he benched him against the Cavs and for half the year?

Well, when I look at THJr's regular season, his minutes/game and his DNPs by month are like this:

• Oct - 0.0, 3 DNP
  • Nov - 11.0, 12 DNP
  • Dec - 0.0, 14 DNP
  • Jan - 15.4, 1 DNP (1st game of Jan)
  • Feb - 17.5, 0 DNP
  • Mar - 19.6, 0 DNP
  • Apr - 16.3, 0 DNP

And yes, he was benched for a lot of the Cavs series, but we're not talking about playoffs here.  We're talking about regular season rotational minutes for each player.  And clearly, looking at the minutes spread above for last year, THJr was a rotational player who Bud thought enough of that he gave him significant minutes.  I know there were injuries to other players as well, but it still shows the confidence that Bud has in him once he learned the defensive schemes.

I am not a THJr lover and feel that Prince and/or Bembry would be better suited for those minutes, but this is about Bud and I have a hard time believing that Prince and Bembry were brought on to totally replace THJr's minutes during the regular season.  I honestly feel they were brought on to replace Thabo and possibly Korver in 2017-18.  For this year, garbage time for a while and then their roles expand like THJr's did this past year.  I hope I'm wrong.

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

His spacing is really important to our offense and he remains quite efficient scoring the ball.  He will still have a major role on the team -- he should just get few minutes (i.e., more rest) and should be benchable when he is being blanketed into irrelevance.  Last year, Bud had no confidence in any other options and that forced him to play Korver too many minutes in a Cleveland series in which he was completely neutralized.

Agreed. His only fairly effective game against the Cavs was the first one he came off the bench and shot well but still played too many minutes. Bud had to start Thabo against J.R. because of what he was doing to Kyle.