If Kyle Korver still starts, here's how it's OK

Lurker

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

If he's not on the roster at all, you lose him. You shouldn't have worded it the way you did. You should have said put Bembry on the mainly inactive roster.

Yea you are right. None of us are perfect in here. The point I was trying to make is that Bembry most likely will not get any playing time this year. D-league awaits him and that's not a knock on him

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

Here’s the minute spread on the wings with this:

Kyle Korver: 22 MPG

Taurean Prince: 26 MPG

Kent Bazemore: 34 MPG

Thabo Sefolosha: 14 MPG

The only in stone MPG player on the wing should be Kent Bazemore.

Love this! Great idea!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

That's why I haven't been talking about Bembry here until I saw one of your earlier posts.

Well the same goes for Prince bro. His chances look better because their is not a log jam at sf like the two. We all know Bud and I would not expect to see Mich of him unless he turns some heads before the season starts

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

The biggest problem with your theory is that Thabo isn't competing with anyone to be a starter at this point. He didn't start his last season in OKC, he hasn't started his 2 seasons here. He's 32 years old and isn't getting any younger - his starting days are behind him, barring an injury emergency. Hopefully his offense will be better this season after getting a full offseason this year, unlike last year when he was recoverying from the NYPD leg fiasco, but he still isn't starting material anymore. 

So what you're really saying is you think Prince is going to come out of the gates as a rookie and start at SF, which would push one of Korver, Thabo, or Hardaway out of the rotation and to the bench. And that is possible if one of a few things happen. First, Prince would have to prove he's ready for the job, and as we've seen with Bud in the past he is reluctant to trust players until they prove they are ready. And if he does somehow prove to Bud he's ready, then he's also got to beat out one of the other 4 players ahead of him.

Which means one of the following would need to happen:

1) Hardaway would have to flop and not make the big jump players usually take in the 2nd year of our program. This is possible, and if Prince starts early, this would be the most likely reason why. But I think it's highly probable that Hardaway makes not only a big jump, but a huge jump for us this year. We'll find out during the season I guess.

2) OR Thabo would have to fall off a cliff and fall out of the rotation. At his age, this is possible, especially offensively. But he's such a phenomenal defender he would almost have to turn into a black hole on offense to keep him out of the rotation for at least one more year. It's possible though.

3) OR Korver at 35 years old falls off a cliff and can't shoot the 3 at a high rate any more - which would pretty much make him useless in the rotation. This could also happen, but I tend to think that with a full offseason to get his body right and work on his shot that we are going to see something closer to the 2014 Korver than the Korver from last year.

4) OR one of those 3 suffers a major injury before the season or early in the season. That would obviously bump the next man up in the rotation, which will most likely be Prince.

But yeah, if any of those 4 things happen then Prince could find himself in the 4-man wing rotation right off the bat. I just don't think any of those first three things are likely to happen, and the fourth one there is no control over.

As others have suggested, I think Prince and Bembry are viewed more as 2017 Korver and Thabo replacements, that will both get their feet wet some during the season.

We've also got to keep in mind it was Hardaway's first ever playoff experience. I don't know if that played a role or not, but it's possible. It could also just be Hardaway went into a shooting slump at the worst possible time and Bud realized he couldn't put him in the games.

I think it's important to also look at some of the larger objectives beyond next season.  The Hawks will once again have a ton of cap space after this season.  They'll want guys who are under contract beyond that, namely Bazemore and Howard, to perform well and they need to put them in the best positions to do that.  Why?  Because it allows them to further sale their player development system to major free agents.  Come here, get better, get paid and stay.  That's why the Hawks considered re-signing Bazemore as a big deal and why Bazemore let slip that he would be playing shooting guard this season in his interview on 92.9.  I too think Hardaway will play better this season, but I don't think he's in the equation at small forward.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

Here’s the minute spread on the wings with this:

Kyle Korver: 22 MPG

Taurean Prince: 26 MPG

Kent Bazemore: 34 MPG

Thabo Sefolosha: 14 MPG

The only in stone MPG player on the wing should be Kent Bazemore.

If  we were going to do this you might as well just cut Thabo. You don't need to pay a veteran 4mil to give you 14 minutes when you have young guys that can run out there for less and grow into his role. I also seriously doubt Prince gets more minutes than  Kyle at any point this year, and I'm the same guy advocating benching Kyle.

Minutes wise Prince is vying for the THJ/Patterson place in the rotation from last year. Thabo is still your best SF at this point until Prince proves himself which I am confident he can do, just have to wait for him to do it first. 

Baze still has to improve his play as well. His contract garuntees him a starting slot but he is still growing and inconsistent. His resigning is more about his future potential. I can see him being on a Teague-like leash where some games he may not even finish or may get sat in favor of his backup Kyle for most of the game. He played 27 mins in the regular season and 32mpg in the playoffs. He will average somewhere in the middle next year unless he really balls out which I don't foresee yet.

I can see this:

Kent- 30 mpg

Thabo- 25 mpg

Kyle- 22 mpg

THJ/Prince- split 19 mpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RandomFan said:

You keep typing that like it's true. It ain't. In fact, the exact opposite was proven. The Hawks were the 2nd best defensive team in the NBA last season. Baze was a starter on the team that made that happen. Even Korver was a starter on the team that made that happen.

You continue to sound very ignorant, which is the least surprising thing to come out of this thread.

WHEW, glad I'm not alone in that assessment. Frikin' NONsense...

18 minutes ago, hazer said:

WHEW, glad I'm not alone in that assessment. Frikin' NONsense...

Lurk has me scratching my head, then nodding. Much like the early daze of another Squawker who I won't mention (SUPES!) when they first joined  and were similarly schizo. Make up your mind if you GET IT or not, unnatural to be that on then off. Y'all just throwing darts or what? Gotta stop making very smart observations followed up by nonsense. Pick one :blink:

Edited by hazer

13 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Let me say this like I've said previously - I have no issue with Korver starting - it's all about the total number of minutes he plays.  That number needs to be reduced from what he played last year. /End.

Wow! Elementary math teacher much?

:-|

54 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Wow! Elementary math teacher much?

:-|

One day she is gonna hunt you down and stump a mud hole in yo ass.. 

• Premium Member

I used to be in the Korver to the bench crowd.   However, now after much thought, I think D12 will give Korver lots of room to work.  Offensively, I can see us playing PNR with Dwight, PNP with Sap, and maybe Isoball with Dennis.  With the high efficiency of all three of those attacks, teams can't focus on Baze and Korver.   The other thing is that according to Baze, KK spent all season trying to heal up.    

So now, we get back a healthy KK.  We place a ball hungry Center in the middle and we use our Young guard to play with all the weapons we have and the next thing you know KK is shooting somewhere about 50% from downtown.

D12 makes good things happen. 

• Like 2