Atlanta Hawks GM Makes Joke About Angry Black Women At Fan Event

Spursfanpeacemaker

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

1) "I know you guys may be angry at me"....

Initially, Wes may be talking about the entire fan base, or fans in the room who are upset with what the Hawks have done, or not done, at that point in the season.   But the person who is pushing Wes to give him a clear plan of action may also think that he's talking about him being in the "angry" group.  And keep in mind that the person asking Wes these things is Black.  Remember that as the statement goes on.

Right in here is where I differentiate.  North, I think he remained talking about the fanbase and not that one person who was pushing him. From my understanding there were lots of fans who were upset with Wes.. Black and White ones.   Generally, when somebody is pushed, they will either get defensive or change the subject.  I think Wes was trying to change the subject by putting the attention on him... i.e.  IF he would have said... I'm used to being yelled at... I'm married.   I see that as being the same thing.   Or I'm used to being yelled at, I live with 4 women.

As dumb as the statement was, I don't think it was racist... although I do think you can be married to a Black woman and be Racist. 

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, LamarHampton said:

@TheNorthCydeRises I dont dispute it was confusing, poor subject matter, poor PR, etc.

but to really think that the guy who is married to a black woman and has interracial kids intended in any way to be racist is absurd. And that is the primary focus of the media attention I have seen. "wes Wilcox makes racist comments" and "hawks Gm makes racially charged comments at fan meeting" and all other kinds of silly stuff I saw on espn and elsewhere. Much more accurate to say "hawks Gm bumbles fan meeting" or "hawks Gm fails at innocent comments about race" or idk what. But nothing like that gets people's attention or creates clickbait headlines, so most attempts to cover the story try to insinuate that he was somehow racist when that is obviously not the case. More like he just pulled a mega fail on the innocently mentioning the topic of race but probably should have been avoided just like politics or religion, or even more so than that with the history with the franchise. So again, I'm not disputing that it was dumb and handled poorly, but all of this stuff (including a lot of the comments here) about Wilcox being racist is just incredibly off base when there is so much evidence that supports the exact opposite conclusion.

If you are a white guy with a black wife and multiple interracial children, I think it's pretty safe to go ahead and say that there is a pretty solid presumption raised in favor of you not being racist, and that is in no way overcome by some muddled comments when he was put on the spot by angry fans when he was on his heels already. 

Here's my question... Lamar..

Do you think it's possible for a Black guy to be racist towards Black people?

There's a Dave Chappell skit in there somewhere. 

• Premium Member

My last post in this thread, and thus, the last time I can be blamed for bumping it to the top.

I despise the title of the thread, and for that reason alone, cannot wait to open this page, and find it buried beyond page 1.

But maybe that's just me.

• Like 1