• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks GM Makes Joke About Angry Black Women At Fan Event

Spursfanpeacemaker

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I think this thread is in danger in going to places we all don't want it to go.

It's funny that you quoted my post vs supes post that refers to black women acting as sexual slaves for white men. You quoted the wrong post there Soth!!!

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

NOPE. Not Today. NOPE!

~lw3

+1000 to this. The Hawks are right in the middle of making some pivotal decisions that could make or break this franchise. This is a potential distraction at a time when we need the GM to be focused on the minute details of any trade offers to ensure we don't get screwed over. This really isn't a good time for this.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

It's funny that you quoted my post vs supes post that refers to black women acting as sexual slaves for white men. You quoted the wrong post there Soth!!!

No, I was going to refer to it in a different post but supes edited it so I didn't see the need in saying anything. Supes is talking about some real issues, I might add, but it could easily lead to some misunderstandings from other people. I grew up in a mixed race county so I know what he was talking about but it is easy to get people flaming each other over racial culture issues that other cultures might not be aware of.

• Like 4

Just now, sturt said:

Folks, really?

I mean, I consider the header chosen for the deadspin story (and, then too, the header given this thread) to be racist.

How do you make that assumption, yet fail to include the kids? Right? If you want to take that angle that he presumes black wives to be angry as a rule, then he obviously must also be attacking mixed-race kids....

Who of us really think a husband thinks that way about his wife... or moreover, who thinks of his own kids that way?!?

My opinion...

Some people pointing fingers here and writing stories and using their media platforms NEED TO BE CALLED on this. It is a prime example of media click-bait... finding whatever appears to be a bone and throwing it out there to see if anyone will chew on it.

Damn.

I feel someone trying to make Hawks organization look bad or don't want to succeed. Also, the timing is funny, this article came out after Korver trade hmmm.

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I also have to say...a white guy with a black wife and three  mixed kids and you have "fans" accusing him of being racist? I mean...are you f$%^ing kidding me here? Wow.

No one accused Wes of being racist.  But it was an insensitive and stereotypical comment.  There's no denying that.  I think Wes thought he could get away with that comment, BECAUSE he had a black wife and 3 mixed kids.  And he probably HAS gotten away with that behind closed doors in private conversations.

I'm just imagining the response I would get, if I made a comment like that in front of the group of about 35 employees I manage in my department . . . with about 30% of them being Black women.   I know for a fact that at least one of them would take me to HR for that comment and 2 or 3 of them would call me out right on the spot for that statement.

We had a white manager on my job make a flippant remark when a temporary employee decided to quit his job.  The manager said . . .

"That's OK.  Any ol monkey can do his job,  It's not hard."

On the surface, there's nothing wrong with that comment.  But when you make that comment, and 50% of your team consist of Black people, someone might just take that the wrong way.  And 2 of them did . . . to the point that they damn near wanted to fight that manager.   It didn't help that the manager was already unpopular.  That comment just put it over the top.

HR had to move that manager completely to another part of the facility on a different shift.  About 1 year later, they put him back in the same area, but not on the same shift.  Of course, the manager apologized to the people who took offense to what he said, and stated that he meant no harm in his statement.

People may call this being too PC, or too sensitive.  But people who may be in a position should always be aware that WORDS MATTER.

Wes is lucky that there is a snow/ice threat in the South, the NFL playoffs are happening, and a possible terror or workplace shooting is going on today.

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

No, I was going to refer to it in a different post but supes edited it so I didn't see the need in saying anything. Supes is talking about some real issues, I might add, but it could easily lead to some misunderstandings from other people. I grew up in a mixed race county so I know what he was talking about but it is easy to get people flaming each other over racial culture issues that other cultures might not be aware of.

Oh totally I agree. Sorry I wasn't aware that he edited the post. Bad time for Wilcox or for this incident to happen ...now or ever...sadly racism will never go away and that sucks more than any basketball news.

The only thing with this situation is that I feel like this Crawford idiot knows about the Ferry thing and is just trying to sue the Hawks for money and it's just stupid. At the same time Wilcox is a freakin idiot putting himself in that situation. 

Maybe Ferry is still controlling Wilcox and trying to take the Hawks down. This is too much I'm done with this topic. Sorry it's just too much. I'm not gonna end up saying anything more because it will offend someone either way. 

Onward and upward...

Just now, Spud2Nique said:

Maybe Ferry is still controlling Wilcox and trying to take the Hawks down. This is too much I'm done with this topic. Sorry it's just too much. I'm not gonna end up saying anything more because it will offend someone either way. 

Onward and upward...

I don't think Ferry is trying to take the Hawks down, he visited Africa and apologized, Even Tim duncan said he's not racist. He stepped down on his own will, so hawks won't get distracted from the drama..

I really think someone trying to be evil, dismantle the Hawks, and get their key players...

• Premium Member
Just now, Spursfanpeacemaker said:

I don't think Ferry is trying to take the Hawks down, he visited Africa and apologized, Even Tim duncan said he's not racist. He stepped down on his own will, so hawks won't get distracted from the drama..

I really think someone trying to be evil, dismantle the Hawks, and get their key players...

If that were the case, why on Earth would a Hawks executive be complicit in a plot to dismantle his own team?

3 minutes ago, hawkman said:

If that were the case, why on Earth would a Hawks executive be complicit in a plot to dismantle his own team?

I didn't say Wilcox trying to dismantle his own team(probably he is or not), what i meant is i feel like someone out there outside hawks organization trying to dismantle the hawks by insulting Hawks GM's racist etc...

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker

17 minutes ago, sturt said:

As another husband in another mixed-race marriage, I can't be responsible for how everyone reinterprets my words, but feel confident that the comment regarded how others sometimes look at his family and have an antagonistic attitude.

That's all.

That's why the Hawks and Wes need to get out in front of the story and say exactly this.  IF this is what he meant, say it.

Not to make this political, but this sounds a lot like what Kellyanne Conway has to do with Trump, when he makes a "curious" statement, and she has to explain what he REALLY meant. 

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That's why the Hawks and Wes need to get out in front of the story and say exactly this.  IF this is what he meant, say it.

Not to make this political, but this sounds a lot like what Kellyanne Conway has to do with Trump, when he makes a "curious" statement, and she has to explain what he REALLY meant. 

I think ordinarily I agree with you, north, but on this, those two are not even in the same ballpark. It's completely reasonable that that's how one of us in a mixed race marriage might comment, and sincerely mean it precisely that way.

That's very different from someone who never before took a pro-life position, but then had to be re-explained three times what he meant by punishing women who would break a hypothetical ban on all abortions. I'll leave it at that, because like you, I don't really want to divert over into a political discussion.

But then, I do agree  that getting out in front of the story would have been smart.

• Like 1