• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks actively looking to add ahead of NBA trade deadline

GameTime

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-actively-looking-add-ahead-nba-trade-deadline/s4SDhsWi093TmTR7lZbsuJ/

The Hawks may have taken Paul Millsap off the trade market but the team has been active ahead of next week’s NBA trade deadline, according to a person familiar with the situation.

The Hawks’ interest is in adding to the current roster. There is no guarantee that a deal will be made before the Feb. 23 deadline. However, more than one deal is possible ahead of the stretch run of the regular season and playoffs.

To be considered in trade talks, is that the Hawks have an open roster spot available. Lamar Patterson’s second 10-day contract expires on Friday.

In addition, Tiago Splitter could be moved with his $8.5 million salary attractive to some teams. Splitter has been injured and has not played a game this season. Splitter is one of several players with expiring contracts including Thabo Sefolosha, Kris Humphries, Mike Scott and Mike Muscala. Tim Hardaway Jr. is a restricted free agent and Millsap can opt out of the final year of his contract. The Hawks have had discussions with teams about Sefolosha and Hardaway.

Finally, the Hawks have a collection of draft picks that could be used in trade negotiations. In addition to all their own picks in upcoming drafts, the Hawks have:

* The Nets’ second-round pick next year.

* The Heat’s second-round pick (protected 31-40) next season or unprotected in 2018.

* The Timberwolves first-round pick (protected 1-14) for 2018, 2019 or 2020 or second-round picks in 2021 and 2022 if not conveyed as a first-rounder.

* The Cavaliers first-round pick (protected 1-10) in 2019.

* The Wizards’ second-round pick in 2019.

The Hawks entered Wednesday’s game against the Clippers with a 32-23 record and fourth in the Eastern Conference. They traded Kyle Korver last month and were exploring trade possibilities regarding Millsap before ultimately deciding to keep their four-time All-Star power forward. The Hawks were in the middle of a seven-game win streak when Millsap was taken off the market. Since the end of the streak, the Hawks are 10-7.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Thabo getting hurt may have killed his trade value.   Hardaway is probably the most valuable at this point.    We have to do something though.   No one can seriously look at this team and think we have much of a chance in the playoffs past the 1st round.    The only thing in our favor is that everyone else is struggling a bit too.   I just hope we can bring back some real talent and not more 'hard workers'

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Thabo getting hurt may have killed his trade value.   Hardaway is probably the most valuable at this point.    We have to do something though.   No one can seriously look at this team and think we have much of a chance in the playoffs past the 1st round.    The only thing in our favor is that everyone else is struggling a bit too.   I just hope we can bring back some real talent and not more 'hard workers'

It's become painfully obvious they need to add.  So painfully obvious that it's apparently gotten Budz the President off his rear to help Budz the coach.

I disagree though that THJr is the most valuable simply because he's a pending free agent (IIUC?).  I think Baze is the only starter that could be moved and I think that's unlikely.

I don't think Thabo would be in play here.  Thabo would be a guy moved to a contender presumably for a deal similar to the Kyle deal whereby we'd get nothing back in terms of actual players.  Would TOR look to get him for DMC (not that I want him back, just brainstorming)?

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

It's become painfully obvious they need to add.  So painfully obvious that it's apparently gotten Budz the President off his rear to help Budz the coach.

I disagree though that THJr is the most valuable simply because he's a pending free agent (IIUC?).  I think Baze is the only starter that could be moved and I think that's unlikely.

I don't think Thabo would be in play here.  Thabo would be a guy moved to a contender presumably for a deal similar to the Kyle deal whereby we'd get nothing back in terms of actual players.  Would TOR look to get him for DMC (not that I want him back, just brainstorming)?

No way Toronto would trade DMC for Thabo, lol.   Thabo has no value.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not sure I see how trading THJ gets you any better unless it's part of a blockbuster that no one is expecting.  If we are talking tweak trades (expected at this point), then trading THJ (who happens to be your best wing) only weakens the team unless you are trading him for a better Wing.  But what team trades a better Wing to Atl for a lesser Wing on an expiring contract?  I'm not overly attached to THJ and if there's something out there that legit makes them better, then fine.  But I don't see it with THJ.   

Edited by REHawksFan

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I'm not sure I see how trading THJ gets you any better unless it's part of a blockbuster that no one is expecting.  If we are talking tweak trades (expected at this point), then trading THJ (who happens to be your best wing) only weakens the team unless you are trading him for a better Wing.  But what team trades a better Wing to Atl for a lesser Wing on an expiring contract?  I'm not overly attached to THJ and if there's something out there that legit makes them better, then fine.  But I don't see it with THJ.   

THJ is a restricted free agent.   How is that not valuable.   Unless i'm getting it wrong but whoever has him can match any offer.   If a team believes in his talent that's huge.   So we could flip him for a better more experienced vet that is older from a rebuilding team.     

There aren't any real assets the Hawks have at their disposal.  This team as constructed is a ECSF loss as it's ceiling.  The floor is losing in round 1.  If you can trade Hardaway for something that improves then you have to do it.  Let his current hot streak move the needle for another team.  Thabo could be an interesting addition for a contender.  Plays quality defense and has playoff experience.  Don't think his value is much of anything though.  Don't understand why anyone would want Splitter.  Don't think he's playing anytime soon.  Scott can't even get playing time on this team and with his pending legal troubles looming over head nobody is going to trade away anything of significance for his services.  Humphries would be a good addition in Denver if they are trying get into the western playoffs.  

Carmelo Anthony is the only player who would change our ceiling due to our ability to use him on offense as a SF and a #1 option and use him at PF on defense or v. The weaker offensive player with Thabo. 

All in all. We need Melo. I looked at everyone else that's available and they cost too much for what we need and have to offer.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

THJ is a restricted free agent.   How is that not valuable.   Unless i'm getting it wrong but whoever has him can match any offer.   If a team believes in his talent that's huge.   So we could flip him for a better more experienced vet that is older from a rebuilding team.     

I'm not saying he's not valuable.  He absolutely is.  I'm saying trading him weakens the Hawks at the Wing (which is already dreadful) so not only does the return have to make up for that, but actually exceed it in order for the Hawks to net out as a positive trade.  I'm just questioning the thought process of trading away your best Wing because I don't see how the Hawks can get substantially better by doing so.  Now, if the goal of the trade is simply to get assets for the future, then yeah, I can see it.  But if the goal is to compete this year (as unlikely as some say that is), then I don't see it.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Carmelo Anthony is the only player who would change our ceiling due to our ability to use him on offense as a SF and a #1 option and use him at PF on defense or v. The weaker offensive player with Thabo. 

All in all. We need Melo. I looked at everyone else that's available and they cost too much for what we need and have to offer.

Funny, about two weeks ago I traded for Melo on my Hawks 2K17. He makes a big difference. I don't know why he wouldn't want to come here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

You've got to trade something of value to get talent back.   We aren't getting anything that will make a difference by trading splitter and scott.     If we want to get better now then we have to trade valuable youth for experienced talent.   

Not necessarily.  If we find a team with motives other than winning (get to salary floor, shed salary, gain a pick, etc.), we could possibly gain something of value in exchange for something of less value.

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Not necessarily.  If we find a team with motives other than winning (get to salary floor, shed salary, gain a pick, etc.), we could possibly gain something of value in exchange for something of less value.

But for what we need, outside of Melo, the price might be much too high. Gallinari might be the cheapest need and he's an expiring contract.

8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Funny, about two weeks ago I traded for Melo on my Hawks 2K17. He makes a big difference. I don't know why he wouldn't want to come here.

Probably don't think we could beat Cleveland but with him, it would give us a great chance.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

But for what we need, outside of Melo, the price might be much too high. Gallinari might be the cheapest need and he's an expiring contract.

{turns off 'ignore'}

You might be right, but when you say 'cost' do you mean players or picks.  I'm approaching the point where I'd be ok with sending multiple picks in a sMelo deal.

{turns 'ignore' bak on}

10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

{turns off 'ignore'}

You might be right, but when you say 'cost' do you mean players or picks.  I'm approaching the point where I'd be ok with sending multiple picks in a sMelo deal.

{turns 'ignore' bak on}

Of course, we would have to part with a 1st and a high 2nd to land Melo. Bazemore and Splitter just isn't attractive enough. But teams like Denver, don't even want Bazemore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I never understood the expiring contract thing being a positive?