• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What should this team do this off-season?

NBASupes

We all know it's gonna be crazy. 

Here's what I hope: 

1. Resign Sap and Tim. Try to sign Ersan to a cheaper but long contract. 

2. Trade Bazemore for a backup PG. Someone like Brandon Knight or Rubio. 

3. Offer the same package to Chicago for Butler and offer a slightly lesser package to Indy for PG. 

4. Move from Hump, resign Moose and Kelly. 

5. Sign a backup SF. 

6. Resign Edy to the team. 

7. Keep one of Bembry or Prince if you trade for PG or Butler. 

Edited by NBASupes

We have not the appropriate assets for a block buster trade (PG, Butler) because they want to get lotto picks in return.

1. Draft Hartenstein (trade up if necessary)

2. try to trade Baze for nothing (his trade value will be 0 at best)

3 offer Millsap 90/3 or 2-year max 

4. resign Muscala

5. If the Nets or some other crap franchise offer THjr a ridiculous contract let him walk.

6. sign Iggy (two year deal)

• Like 1

On 2/24/2017 at 7:10 PM, NBASupes said:

Here's what I hope: 

1. Resign Sap and Tim. Try to sign Ersan to a cheaper but long contract. - Agree although I hate Ilyasova, I consider him an upgrade over Musc

2. Trade Bazemore for a backup PG. Someone like Brandon Knight or Rubio. - Agree again, PHX shld be desperate to get rid of Knight.  MIN has no use for him IMHO

3. Offer the same package to Chicago for Butler and offer a slightly lesser package to Indy for PG.  Agree on Jimi.  No on PG, him missing on the supermax incentive = LAL-bound.  Any team trading for him is getting goods that have already been checked-out.

4. Move from Hump, resign Moose and Kelly. Agree on Hump, clearly they don't want him.  No thanks on Musc/Kelly.  I kick the tires on another stretch-type.  We know waht Musc/Kelly are - not NBA caliber.

5. Sign a backup SF.  - Or maybe just draft one 2nd round?

6. Resign Edy to the team.  Meh, take it or leave it for me.  Ideally they can draft a project-ish big 1st round for this spot.  Something like Hartstein if he slips (I know, unlikely).  I'd trade up for him if I were them.  If he makes it past 15 or so, we shld have the assets to get there assuming no Jimi trade.

7. Keep one of Bembry or Prince if you trade for PG or Butler. Keep Bembry but not if they keep giving him the Hump treatment.  Geez, why didn't he play the last 2 games!?

Expert responses in bold above. :cool:

With the caveat that I totally expect NONE of this to happen:

1. Dump Kent Bazemore. Dump him in any way possible, it doesn't matter if you have to keep some of the contract, just get him the heck off of the team. If an asset is garnered, perfect but if not no big deal. (I fully expect this to NOT happen as he exemplifies the ***hawks way*** to them)
2. See if you can resign Tim Hardaway Jr to something that is not ridiculous. My breaking point would probably be anything over 15 million per year. If he can be resigned to 3-36 with an option, that's perfect.
3. Resign Paul Millsap to a full max but not a 5 year contract, 2 years with an option again or 3.
4. Draft the BPA young big man in the first round, if the good young bigs are left. Maybe try to trade up but it depends.
5. As long as Ersan doesn't continue to play horribly, try to resign him unless he asks for too much.
6. Let all of the other stretch 4 types walk.
7. I think I'd let Sefolosha walk and look for another defensive wing type that may be cheap,

• Like 2

My thinking on BPA young big man and "maybe trade up" is I hope Patton or Hartenstein fall out of the top 10. If they fall into the 14-17 range, I'd look to try to trade for them.

If not there are a couple other players I'd look at, including maybe Adebayo, maybe.

Before the Off-season starts - Play the rookies now: Prince and Bembry so we can see what they are as well as audition them for any potential trades at draft time.

1a. Resign Sap and Tim.  Since BudCox is hell bent on resigning Sap they'll do it.  I'd prefer no 5 year deal, if it is - it should be a declining scale contract. A 3+1 is most likely, and 2+1 is even better.  If he walks, call up the Jazz and propose a trade for Derrick Favors (Jazz are cost conscious in having to resign Hayward and Hill this offseason with Hood the following year).  Or Detroit for Tobias Harris

1b.  Try to sign Ersan to a cheaper but long contract - if he plays well to end the season.

2. Trade Bazemore for a backup PG. Someone like Brandon Knight or Rubio. Trade Baze - that is all, doesn't matter for who or what - capspace would work also be accepted. Trade partners -  Philly, Brooklyn, Minny, Sacto and NOP comes to mind.  Barring a trade, bite the bullet and just play him from the bench as an energy guy.  Thought about using the stretch provision but it would still count as almost $12 million against the cap, too much remaining on contract.  

3. Offer the same package to Chicago for Butler and offer a slightly lesser package to Indy for PG. PG is headed to LAL especially with Magic now in charge. I'd make the Butler offer as well.  Now that teams know that we were all in for trading our picks something else might pop in - so if not for PG and Butler some one else.  Can't think of a player now though.

4. Move from Hump, resign Moose and Kelly.  I'd move on from all - sign posted should read "better backups required"

5. Sign a backup SF. We need a starter first (assuming no PG/Butler and unless that goes to Prince (but Bud won't play him sw we have no idea if he can start next season).  Call up Detroit and see if they will trade us Tobias Harris, I would even take the Morris Twin)

6. Resign Edy to the team. Resign Edy to our G-League team

7. Keep one of Bembry or Prince if you trade for PG or Butler.  I guess if we are trading for PG or Butler one will go in the trade.

8. Back-up PG and C still a need

What will likely happen:

1. Go after big name FA's (ie. Hayward, Griffin, Porter) and try to trade for Butler/PG, but strike out on all of these options
  2. Resign Millsap likely at a deal starting over his cap hold of $30.1M (could see a deal of $180M/5years which is a relatively large discount from his Bird rights max).
  3. Resign Muscala
  4. Match THJ's offer if nothing too crazy
  5. Try signing Sefolosha using Scott's TPE of $3.3M (believe they can do this, though might have to renounce his rights. I would think that Thabo could get a better deal elsewhere though).
  6. Draft big men with 1st round pick and BKN 2nd round pick
  7. Waive Dunleavy to save $
  8. Use MLE (will be interesting to see if the Hawks stay above the cap to get the Non-taxpayer MLE of $8.4M vs. the Room MLE of $4.3M).

This leaves you with a roster of Schröder, Delaney, Hardaway, Bembry, Bazemore, Sefolosha, Prince, Millsap, Muscala, Kelly, Howard, Muscala, MLE and 2 rookies with one open roster spot. This team would also likely be well above the salary cap, which is why I see Ilyasova not getting resigned (unless we use the $8.4M MLE on him) and Dunleavy getting waived (he has non-guaranteed contract I believe).

What I hope would happen given the circumstances we are currently in:

1. Let Millsap walk and take the hit to the FO's credibility
  2. See what offers you get for Howard - I would honestly be ok with a mid first rounder + 2nd round pick, but hoping you could get more. Maybe you wait till the trade deadline though if not getting any offers.
  3. Draft best player available in all picks (no 4-year college players) - I would not be opposed to trying to trade up using other picks like the 2018 MIN and 2019 Cavs first rounder if there was a player that the FO really liked.
  4. Waive Dunleavy and let Ilyasova and Thabo walk
  5. Resign Muscala
  6. Match offer for THJ if it isn't ridiculous
  7. Go after younger players in FA (ie. Porter, KCP, Len, McLemore, Olynyk, Alan Williams, Ian Clark)
  8. In this scenario, I wouldn't trade Bazemore because without Millsap and Howard we would have plenty of cap space and I wouldn't want to attach the likely 1st round pick it would take to move him.
  9. Target teams that are looking to dump some salary and either get young players or take on salary, while getting picks to do so (nothing crazy though like Mozgov or Crabbe). Could target Favors or Valanciunas if we trade Howard.

Neither option is pretty honestly.

• Moderators

I like most of Supes ideas.   IF there is a way to get Butler i'd do it for sure.    For various reasons we have to part ways with Humphries, Moose, Kelly, Thabo and Dunleavy.   

But, what i expect the team to look like next year?  

Dennis/Delaney

Hardaway/Bembry

Baze/Prince

Sap/Kelly

Dwight/Moose

with Dunleavey and a couple draft picks to round it out. 

If this is what actually happens then I'll be thinking hard about how much time i invest in them.   

Whatever they accomplish I'll be disappointed.  I'm a Sap fan but want no parts of a vet max for him. 

Baze's contract is immovable.  We struck out on the "now" wings in Butler and PG.  The fact they tried at least is a good enough admission from the brass of how bad Baze is and how limited Thabo's time is. 

The "next" wing is Hayward, who's seemingly getting better with each game.  I watch him dunk on entire teams now and just get sad knowing Quinn is building a much better squad than us.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

On 2/24/2017 at 7:10 PM, NBASupes said:

Here's what I hope: 

1. Resign Sap and Tim. Try to sign Ersan to a cheaper but long contract.  All 3 contracts must be reasonable.

2. Trade Bazemore for a backup PG. Someone like Brandon Knight or Rubio.  OK with that.

3. Offer the same package to Chicago for Butler and offer a slightly lesser package to Indy for PG.   I guess it doesn't hurt to try. See if we can unload Dunleavy and Delaney in said trade offer.

4. Move from Hump, resign Moose and Kelly.  In the immortal words of Nancy Kerrigan, WHY, WHY would we re-sign Moose and Kelly?

5. Sign a backup SF.   Sign a real SF period. Starter, backup, whatever.

6. Resign Edy to the team.  Meh.  Think I'll pass.

7. Keep one of Bembry or Prince if you trade for PG or Butler.   Keep both. We need all the help we can get.

My responses in bold above. 

Additionally we need to re-examine the Bud sitchy-ashun if this up-and-down thing continues.  Maybe he needs to be relieved of some of his duties, perhaps all of them.  Sticking with crappy players  (aka Baze, Moose, Kelly, etc.), out of some misplaced "loyalty", when better options are available on your bench is not the mark of a winning coach.

If Dennis can't function as a consistent player and a responsible adult, see what we can get for him. 

If we can get reasonable return on Dwight, go for it.

I thought for sure by the middle of the season we'd be off the merry-go-round, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.  I am really disappointed with this year.

It was a big mistake to get rid of Teague.

Sign Sap, Sign Tim, trade Bazemore and first round picks for Butler or Batum, resign Ilyasova, Thabo, and Korver.  Draft a back-up PG with Brooklyn's second round pick.  Use MLE to get a back-up center.

2 hours ago, ATLSmith said:

1) Sign Sap.  Sign Tim.  I don't know about Ersan yet

2) Sign a world class SF (somehow)

3) Dwight develops a Duncan-like bank shot.

4) Win it all.

Really like this plan, especially if number four comes to fruition. 

Don't think we have the assets for George/Butler with Hardaway a free agent, so one of two options...

Option A: Go for Broke

We need shooting/scoring and depth, so...

1. TRADE BAZEMORE, DELANEY AND BEMBRY FOR MELO. If he'll accept Atlanta. Gets rid of Baze's contract and gets a shooter who's old enough that he won't get in the way of Prince, plus it's a better offer than New York will get anywhere else from a playoff team. Throw in a second or two if we have to.

2. Resign Tim, Sap, Ersan and Thabo to as reasonable of deals as possible.

3. Use the MLE on Patty Mills

4. Draft a big.

1. Dennis/Mills
  2. Thabo/THJ
  3. Melo/Prince
  4. Millsap/Ersan
  5. Howard/Ersan

Option B: Blow it Up

1. Let Sap, Thabo and probably Ersan walk. Resign Tim.

2. Trade Howard for whatever we can get. Valanciunas would be pie-in-the-sky sweet.

3. Hand the keys entirely to Dennis, Hardaway and Prince.

• Moderators

That trade for Melo just makes me have to remind people:  Baze is a negative asset like Mike Scott.  You don't get value for that - you give value so someone will take them.  Delaney is in the same bucket.  Bembry for Melo doesn't work in terms of value so adding two toxic deals to that only makes it worse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We can sign him.  He'll be a free agent.

Oh ok..I just thought OP said resign which still is technically correct so I'll just shove off...