• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Was Trading Korver a Mistake?

Diesel

• Premium Member

We traded him so that we wouldn't have to be forced to let him go in the summer.   We got back Dunleavy Jr.  Coaches Son, Smart Player but IMHO a cheap version of KK. 

Was it a mistake... and would we have beaten Washington with him?

No - we traded him so we could get a 1st round pick in 2019 instead of nothing.

Would we have beaten Washington with him? Probably not. Even if we did, would it have mattered? Would not having a 2019 first round pick be worth losing in the 2nd round instead of losing in the first round? Seems near-sighted to me.

Edited by Bankingitbig
  • Like 2

If he could ever get open, maybe we could have won four, he's hitting 41% from three in the playoffs. Just the same I'm good moving forward with Prince getting plenty of minutes especially with how fast he developed when Bud finally gave him time on the floor. Kyle leaving helped aid in that since Baze was the only healthy competition for Prince for the most part and Baze replaced all of Kyle's minutes. We know Thabo's injury stuff and Dunleavy is Dunleavy. Bud treated Bembry as utility at best. Still have a late first down the road as well. 

• Like 3

Wouldn't get carried away with the playing great in the playoffs part with him averaging five points and less than one assist a game in seventeen minutes so far. If he gets open he can balance the offense out for anyone so he could have helped off the bench for us. Could have been still jawing at Anna right now I guess.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2011/kyle-korver

• Like 2

Meh....korver can not operate in a Spurs like system anymore without stars being on the team. Nor can he create his own shot, he's also loss a step on being an elite off ball runner when screens are set.

korver is best a 3pt spot up shooter at this point which works best with lebrons drive/post up kick out simple ass offense since he forces double and triple teams.

so no I don't think a mistake was made. The mistake was budcox not realizing this last season and playing THJ more. We need someone who can put the ball on the floor and create or score. Korver would have made this offense worst at SG since bud was likely to start Baze who also can't put the ball on the floor.....smh ....bunch of cluster f**ks

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Bankingitbig said:

No - we traded him so we could get a 1st round pick in 2019 instead of nothing.

Would we have beaten Washington with him? Probably not. Even if we did, would it have mattered? Would not having a 2019 first round pick be worth losing in the 2nd round instead of losing in the first round? Seems near-sighted to me.

So.. you mean.. the #30 overall?

That's a 2nd round talent that you have to pay for 4 years.   Cleveland is laughing.

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, JTB said:

Meh....korver can not operate in a Spurs like system anymore without stars being on the team. Nor can he create his own shot, he's also loss a step on being an elite off ball runner when screens are set.

korver is best a 3pt spot up shooter at this point which works best with lebrons drive/post up kick out simple ass offense since he forces double and triple teams.

so no I don't think a mistake was made. The mistake was budcox not realizing this last season and playing THJ more. We need someone who can put the ball on the floor and create or score. Korver would have made this offense worst at SG since bud was likely to start Baze who also can't put the ball on the floor.....smh ....bunch of cluster f**ks

Here's my bone...  Isn't Dennis supposed to create with Drive and kicks?? Whatever happened to that wrinkle of the Spurs offense?  OH.. I forgot, Dennis is a young player, so it's all Korver's fault... or it's all DHoward's fault or it's even Baze's fault.  DO you ever find yourself making the same criticisms of Korver as you do for Baze while playing with Dennis??

Image result for interesting gif

He was traded because the team was about to blow it up totally and Ressler stepped in and stopped it. He doesn't get traded if the team wasn't having thoughts of blowing it up.

And this is NOT the NFL. The order of the nba draft is not determined by how you finish in the postseason. Its determined by record.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Diesel said:

So.. you mean.. the #30 overall?

That's a 2nd round talent that you have to pay for 4 years.   Cleveland is laughing.

Well it would be the #26 pick in this year's draft... Now take into account LeBron aging and the fact that they are already at $127M in salary for the 2018-2019 season, so they can't add any help to their roster through free agency. I could see that being a low 20's pick.

• Like 2

• Admin

I think we got more for them then we could have hoped for.  I was sad to see him go but to get a first (even a late first) is a solid deal for KK.  He is a great fit over there and he has a chance for a championship.

• Like 2

Cleveland is laughing for how many more weeks? Kyle is an UFA after that. We have an extra first in '19, they won't. Like almost everyone says, I love Kyle, but this deal was a guy going away who will still command some money this offseason at his extended age for one strong skill left. We got Bembry at 21 for a measuring stick, we can get someone with that pick in '19. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, JTB said:

Meh....korver can not operate in a Spurs like system anymore without stars being on the team.

He absolutely can operate a Spurs system.  He can operate in almost every offensive system.  What he can't operate in is any offense where he is the only credible perimeter threat and one of the top 2-3 focuses of opposing defenses.  He needs to be on a team where he is a #4 or #5 option on the floor and where other guys are competent enough at shooting 3's that teams can't sell out to stop him.  What crushed him in our team is the same thing we saw in the playoffs:  our team can't shoot worth a damn.

• Like 4

vor 3 Stunden, Diesel sagte:

Here's my bone...  Isn't Dennis supposed to create with Drive and kicks?? Whatever happened to that wrinkle of the Spurs offense?  OH.. I forgot, Dennis is a young player, so it's all Korver's fault... or it's all DHoward's fault or it's even Baze's fault.  DO you ever find yourself making the same criticisms of Korver as you do for Baze while playing with Dennis??

Image result for interesting gif

Its actually Bud's fault. A system who was build around a passing big can't sustain without replacing his building block properly. Horford was the reason for Budball. He is able to kick out and pass backdoor and do multiple things. Hes just a softie that's his problem. But Howard is a completely different player who actually doesn't fit on our team. It would've been wiser to get a BU Center with rebounding ability who sets tough screens and hustle. Bud has a second chance. He has to find a passing big who he could pair with this team. He should play along with our shooters.

6 hours ago, Diesel said:

We traded him so that we wouldn't have to be forced to let him go in the summer.   We got back Dunleavy Jr.  Coaches Son, Smart Player but IMHO a cheap version of KK. 

Was it a mistake... and would we have beaten Washington with him?

No, Hawks are better without him.

Edited by BigDog90
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

No.  He's playing great and will really help the team win a title.   Oh wait, you meant a mistake for the Hawks.  Then yes but for the Cavs it's yet another 'rich get richer' deal.   

I would have preferred to see him traded to the West. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AHF said:

He absolutely can operate a Spurs system.  He can operate in almost every offensive system.  What he can't operate in is any offense where he is the only credible perimeter threat and one of the top 2-3 focuses of opposing defenses.  He needs to be on a team where he is a #4 or #5 option on the floor and where other guys are competent enough at shooting 3's that teams can't sell out to stop him.  What crushed him in our team is the same thing we saw in the playoffs:  our team can't shoot worth a damn.

Same thing you worded what I said differently by using "credible perimeter threats" that can be a threat or shoot 3s so korver can be a 4th or 5th option ....I said korver cannot run a Spurs like system without star players being around him that is true because you're not going to get a team full of 3 point shooters to take the attention off of korver but some 3 point shooters and a few perimeter stars which is the only realistic option you have and sure korver is valuable again.

even if the Hawks had a few more really good 3pt shooter to pair with korver his impact would have been only slightly better. 

To me it goes more into just shooting as someone has to be able to put the ball on the floor....3 or 4 korvers all on the same team in the starting lineup gives you nothing.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I think we got more for them then we could have hoped for.  I was sad to see him go but to get a first (even a late first) is a solid deal for KK.  He is a great fit over there and he has a chance for a championship.

A late first (where Cleveland picks) is a second rounder with a guaranteed contract.   There's no win in that.   Capwise.. that means we take on Dunleavy's 1.5 years and then we take some second rounder for 4 years.   NOT SMART.