• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Its Official...Travis Schlenk is the New Hawks GM

Peoriabird

58 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Are you nuts? If Moose gets more than 4 mil/per i would be very surprised.  This is not the free for all FAcy of 2016. No cap explosion and particularly because the projected 2018-19 Cap is expected to only rise by $1 million.

I missed it originally, lol.

Watch and see. He will have an extremely strong market. Probably more teams than all of our free agents combined outside of Sap of course. 

Thabo has a limited but decent market. Playoff teams who need a legit backup wing. 

Ersan is too much for most teams who need him as a backup big and I think Atlanta will keep him. 

Tim will outprice the market which will limit his suitors. 

Calderon, Kelly, and Hump have a very limited pool of teams. Hump will likely resign. 

This was the best potential GM available, great choice by Ressler. Probably increases Hawks chances of landing Klay Thompson down the road, whether via trade or FAcy. From 0% previously to 5% now. I also expect our drafting to improve, although Budcox drafted well last year.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, hazer said:

This was the best potential GM available, great choice by Ressler. Probably increases Hawks chances of landing Klay Thompson down the road, whether via trade or FAcy. From 0% previously to 5% now. I also expect our drafting to improve, although Budcox drafted well last year.

BudCox drafted really well last year. But when the class is really young, they struggle to project which I've noticed. It's the opposite of Ferry. Ferry was great with younger classes but terrible with older classes. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

Not on board with any max contract Klay-courting.  Thinking he could be an alpha is crazy.  He's considerably overrated due to all the crazy space he plays with and people confusing his effort on defense with effectiveness.  Mediocre passer, worse rebounder.  Missing shots badly this year he would've made in his sleep two years prior.

• Like 2

If you want to build a championship caliber club, you are going to have to spend market value in free agency at some point.  If you aren't willing to spend on Paul Millsap and Klay Thompson, there aren't going to be any players you would be willing to spend on

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If you want to build a championship caliber club, you are going to have to spend market value in free agency at some point.  If you aren't willing to spend on Paul Millsap and Klay Thompson, there aren't going to be any players you would be willing to spend on

If you spend for Millsap, you can't afford Klay level players. Players of that caliber generally do not come to teams who are average unless they have an up and coming star.  

I really think getting Joe and Sap spoiled the anti-tankers like you. Sap level players tend to stay with their original team and no team is letting another Joe Johnson situation happen to their top young talents like that again. Hell, it hasn't since Joe in terms of SnT of a stud young player. 

1 minute ago, GameTime said:

I could see Schlenk trading up in the draft for a Malik Monk/Dennis Smith

I'm also here for Malik Monk. Even though I think the sixers take him at 3. Granted I've watched like 4 games of his, but every time he had that wow factor. I think he could be Devin Booker or CJ Mcollum in terms of scoring as a young player.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I'm here for Zion Williamson.

I mean Zion is probably going to be a top 3 pick whenever he's done with college ball and if the Hawks are to get him that means we suck and we suck bad! I'm not so sure I want that to happen ...but I do like Zion a lot 

12 minutes ago, GameTime said:

I could see Schlenk trading up in the draft for a Malik Monk/Dennis Smith (depending on how he feels about DS17)

I get the feeling he's really going to fall in love with Dennis and get him some huge help this off season to further develop his 3pt shot and on top of that I think Dennis contract is awesome for the player he's going to end up becoming and one you just can't beat.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I'm also here for Malik Monk. Even though I think the sixers take him at 3. Granted I've watched like 4 games of his, but every time he had that wow factor. I think he could be Devin Booker or CJ Mcollum in terms of scoring as a young player.

Love monks game I really do! Watched him plenty this past season but the Hawks need to find a way to keep their  up and coming players they already have and pair them with guys like monk instead of always giving away their talent.

cant build a franchise and push young players away at the same time.

1 minute ago, sillent said:

Low Impact? We've been on the bottom half of rebounding for about the last 10 years and one man did a fantastic job of turning that around. If we can learn to use him more on the pick and role maybe we can enjoy alot more of his dominance. Bud's a coach "again" so I expect alot more development not only in our players but our schemes as well.

Exactly....again we need howard vs big lineups. He don't have to start every game but when teams go big on us we need to be able to answer unlike when Horford was here.

my favorite thing our new GM has already said is that in this era you have to be able to play big and small lineups. In other words you NEED a starting small lineup you can depend on and a starting big lineup you can depend on.

• Like 2

IF the Hawks move up AND want a guard, I'd love for them to select Frank Ntilikina (not for the simple fact that Nique will butcher his name on a nightly basis, but because this kid has Hawks star written all over him. ) 6-5 with an almost 7 ft wingspan, can play the 1 to 2 and small ball 3. He's also a decent defender and shooter.   He will turn 19  the week AFTER the draft.  Give Bud this kid and let him mold him into the star we need.  

If they do move up to get him, I'd select Jordan Bell with pick #31 or even Harry Giles (it's a second round pick after all you might as well roll the dice). I'd much rather perfer Jordan Bell as I feel he's more Hawksy.  Giles only because we will need a young big who can rebound and at this point I believe that's all Giles can do.  Maybe he will tap into the potential he had in high school maybe not, but with a second round pick he's worth a gamble.FRANK NTILIKINA - Source: ©DraftExpress

29 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Dude has Bradley Beal/Klay Thompson potential.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

We have to be realistic.  We already know that GMs around the league wouldn't give more than a 2nd round pick for Dwight and I doubt someone will get duped into taking Baze's contract.

I am curious to see how the draft goes since he is big on the scouting side.  I think the negotiation with Millsap will be the first big test.

Will Ressler let him do his job or be too hands on like Dolan?

1 hour ago, GameTime said:

Dude has Bradley Beal/Klay Thompson potential.

It's a shame it takes sucking to get players that caliber. No way the Hawks could reasonably jump up from 19 for him without mortgaging the future. But hey if we gave up all 3 picks next year and 19 and got Monk and Bolden at wherever and 31, I wouldn't be that upset.

Monk is a tough shot maker. I don't feel great about the fit next to Dennis though... too small (height and doesn't have the wingspan to make up for it). His best fit would be a team like Philly or Milwaukee where he's the smallest guard on the floor.

I don't think Schlenk is going to do anything drastic this year. Not sure if he can leave the Warriors immediately, but he won't have much time to evaluate the situation regardless.