• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk on 680 The Fan This Morning (Friday 6/9)

lethalweapon3

12 minutes ago, thecampster said:

The NBA contract cycle is a maximum of 5 years. It takes a maximum of 5 years to completely remake your roster. 5 years is realistic. 7 years is built in excuses.

Well shit next time I have a thought I'll just have you say it. Save some time lol

3 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Well shit next time I have a thought I'll just have you say it. Save some time lol

Welcome to the club....I do that 3 times a day at least.  Usually after responding to a post on the board only to read further down and find out someone else already said it.

10 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

As this year's draft approaches, here are some things that I hope

that our drafted players will be qualified to do:

1- Walk and chew gum at the same time.

2- Have a basketball IQ above 7.

3- Have enough speed to get from one end of the court to the other.

4- Not believe he knows more than the Hawk's coaches.

With all that said, seriously I hope all players drafted here are able to

shoot and hit, both from 3 point range and from the free throw line.  Please!

I hope they have the talent to hold on to the ball and not be a turnover machine.

I hope they know what a rebound is and have the ability to grab a few.

I hope that they have enough speed, quickness to move and not do what

I did when I was young - - Step on their own feet and fall.

That means that you don't want any potential types.  Bring guys in that have decent skill and a feel for the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Bud loves shooting?  Could have fooled me.

The best example of what he wants and proof of the staff developing a shooter was DMC am pretty sure. Still looking for another good example moving forward but am afraid Quin was the most instrumental with his improvement and Kyle was heavily involved as well. Those guys aren't here now, so... 

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3970/demarre-carroll

4 hours ago, Thomas said:

The best example of what he wants and proof of the staff developing a shooter was DMC am pretty sure. Still looking for another good example moving forward but am afraid Quin was the most instrumental with his improvement and Kyle was heavily involved as well. Those guys aren't here now, so... 

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3970/demarre-carroll

Kenny Atkinson was the main shooting coach.  Ben Sullivan and Charles Lee are the new player development coaches.  

Below is a comment from Quin about specifically helping DMC at shoot arounds after practices. In DMC's last year here he complimented and thanked both Quin and Korver for helping him develop on offense in the other article. 

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4748607-155/utah-jazz-notes-coach-quin-snyder

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/demarre-carroll-thanks-the-hawks-says-goodbye-to-atlanta-070715

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Below is a comment from Quin about specifically helping DMC at shoot arounds after practices. In DMC's last year here he complimented and thanked both Quin and Korver for helping him develop on offense in the other article. 

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/demarre-carroll-thanks-the-hawks-says-goodbye-to-atlanta-070715

I wish we never granted Utah or the Bets permission to talk to Quin or Atkinson. They were simply awesome.

As this year's draft approaches, here are some things that I hope

that our drafted players will be qualified to do:

1- Walk and chew gum at the same time.

2- Have a basketball IQ above 7.

3- Have enough speed to get from one end of the court to the other.

4- Not believe he knows more than the Hawk's coaches.

With all that said, seriously I hope all players drafted here are able to

shoot and hit, both from 3 point range and from the free throw line.  Please!

I hope they have the talent to hold on to the ball and not be a turnover machine.

I hope they know what a rebound is and have the ability to grab a few.

I hope that they have enough speed, quickness to move and not do what

I did when I was young - - Step on their own feet and fall.

I hope the have size too. The Hawks have been under sized for years now.

Korver would make a great shooting coach. I dont think he's ready to stop playing though.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I wish we never granted Utah or the Bets permission to talk to Quin or Atkinson. They were simply awesome.

I want Korver back as a coach ASAP. And if the Bud thing ends up not working out, Snyder is the first call I'd be making if I was Ressler...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hazer said:

I want Korver back as a coach ASAP. And if the Bud thing ends up not working out, Snyder is the first call I'd be making if I was Ressler...

I want Bud here forever but if @sturt is thinking that Schlenk wants his own guy, what do you think of Mark Jackson? Schlenk has the Warriors connection with him and I think Jackson got screwed out of the Warriors gig. 

He is a very knowledgeable coach and an x point guard, which is excellent for a coach.

Thoughts on bringing in Jackson IF and only IF Schlenk wants his own guy?

• Premium Member

@Spud2Nique (see what I did there.... points for you!!!... ) ...so there's no misunderstanding...

I think Schlenk will want his own guy at that point that it's his perception that Bud has taken the team as far as he can take it, which is another way of saying, that the team didn't perform up to expectations for that particular previous season. That's just what I think we've all seen happen over and over again, but I do allow for Schlenk being the exception to that rule.

Then, on the other hand, it might not be Schlenk pulling the trigger... it could be Bud. Are Schlenk and Ressler and company meeting his expectations in how they're involving him.

We know pretty certain Schlenk is enthusiastic right now about his head coach. We only have Rathburn suggesting Bud is enthusiastic at the top of the GM announcement presser.... which in a court of law is considered hearsay... and again, among the cynical who recognize the obvious non-verbal given how the presser was scheduled, there is obvious reason for concern.

That's covers those bases.

But, turning to your question, yes, Jackson's name came to mind for me, too... though not exclusively. Jackson was let go evidently because he rubbed some people the wrong way in GS.... and for all we know, Schlenk was among those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Jackson was let go evidently because he rubbed some people the wrong way in GS.... and for all we know, Schlenk was among those.

Actually the owners were the ones that wanted Jackson gone. I think everybody else in the organization loved him. It was mainly a Lacob choice to fire Jackson.

• Premium Member
Just now, Spud2Nique said:

Actually the owners were the ones that wanted Jackson gone. I think everybody else in the organization loved him. It was mainly a Lacob choice to fire Jackson.

You'd know better than me... I only recall vaguely, but you're right there in the middle of it in the area. So I'll go with your take before mine.

From what I remember, Jackson was generally perceived as a snake in the grass that attempted to assert himself over everyone in the front office.  Ownership also gave him an unlimited budget to hire assistants to offset his weaknesses but his ego wouldn't allow him to have anyone that would have any kind of voice on his staff.  His players loved him but his power plays and stubbornness coupled with his off the court dalliances led to his dismissal. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

We had such an embarrassment of riches in the 60 win season: the league's best PG depth, 2 AS "Bigs", and 2 Head Coaches.  I know sh@t happens but there simply isn't nearly enough to show for all those assets now.  

There was an edge to the play when Quinn was here and has been tailing off steadily since his departure.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hazer said:

Why?  Utah is much better than the Hawks are.  Losing Gordon will hurt, but losing Millsap will hurt the Hawks.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Why?  Utah is much better than the Hawks are.  Losing Gordon will hurt, but losing Millsap will hurt the Hawks.

I'm not sure Hayward is leaving Utah. I'm thinking he stays, but I have a feeling Sap is gone.

7 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I'm not sure Hayward is leaving Utah. I'm thinking he stays, but I have a feeling Sap is gone.

A month ago I would have disagreed but now believe we get much more mileage out of not resigning Sap, in particular after a couple of years when he starts pushing thirty five. Feels wrong to say it since he has been the consistent hard hat for us but believe his leaving will probably happen.